GDT: Connor McDavid vs Oshawa Generals - OHL Finals Discussion

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
Its because Cassels outplayed McDavid by quite a margin in the OHL final. If McDavid had a better series and his team still lost most people wouldn't have a problem with him getting the Wayne Gretzky trophy. Usually the player who plays the best in the final series gets that award.
They had a player just sit on him and follow him everywhere and the double teamed him if he stopped for a second lack of depth lost this series not mcdavid... If a team does that in the nhl hall will laugh his way to goals

Connor Mcdavey*

Omg people, you are kidding me right now... You're reading into a post game interview after his dreams were crushed? You expect articulate answers from a 17 year old child when his emotions are running at an all time high?

He said he has to put in work and feel like he is prepared to make the NHL instead of depending on his junior success - that is it

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
The Oilers should do the same thing Colorado did and say they're picking McDavid. No more awkward "if they take me, blah blah". His playoffs are done, just say you're taking him.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Its because Cassels outplayed McDavid by quite a margin in the OHL final. If McDavid had a better series and his team still lost most people wouldn't have a problem with him getting the Wayne Gretzky trophy. Usually the player who plays the best in the final series gets that award.

Dude was 2 points away from tying the OHL playoff scoring record. Anyone who thought he wasn't going to win the MVP regardless of who won the series was kidding themselves.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Dude was 2 points away from tying the OHL playoff scoring record. Anyone who thought he wasn't going to win the MVP regardless of who won the series was kidding themselves.

Kidding themselves is too nice of a nice way of putting it IMO. Clueless, incredibly biased, looking for a rise out of people, that's more along the lines of what I think of those that think that anyone other than McDavid should've won.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

Yes, he played better than McDavid in the finals, but that doesn't mean much as the award goes to overall playoff performance.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Decent playoff run for the kid but he's no Bill McDougall I'll tell you that much.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
The Oilers should do the same thing Colorado did and say they're picking McDavid. No more awkward "if they take me, blah blah". His playoffs are done, just say you're taking him.

Why? They're taking him. They can't sell official merchandise until he's drafted (I believe), it keeps other GMs on their toes, and it builds suspense for the draft (even though there really is none).

Plus, even though it's highly unlikely that McD pulls a Lindros, nobody wants to look like Marcel Aubut did when he drafted a player that refused to play for his franchise.

The kid had just finished his junior playoffs, Chiarelli will interview him and make sure him, his agent, and the organization are on the same page, and draft him.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

I understand the sentiment behind saying that they want every kid to enjoy the same experience in terms of getting drafted and going through the process but at this point everyone knows the Oilers are calling his name. Even the Oilers Facebook page talks about him like he's already been drafted. IMO you either completely keep quiet until the draft or you come out and say that you're taking the player; this half in half out thing serves no one.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Why? They're taking him. They can't sell official merchandise until he's drafted (I believe), it keeps other GMs on their toes, and it builds suspense for the draft (even though there really is none).

Plus, even though it's highly unlikely that McD pulls a Lindros, nobody wants to look like Marcel Aubut did when he drafted a player that refused to play for his franchise.

The kid had just finished his junior playoffs, Chiarelli will interview him and make sure him, his agent, and the organization are on the same page, and draft him.

this

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
I didn't see it, but from the quote I would gather he meant that it's up to the team that drafts him if he plays in the NHL, and it's up to him to prove he is ready.

That's all I got out of it.

He seemed to figure that he'd have to prepare and ready himself to play in the NHL, and that it was up to him this summer with his training regiment. People are reading an awful lot into it imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad