GDT: Connor McDavid vs Oshawa Generals - OHL Finals Discussion

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Vancouover fans are absolutely intolerable about Cassels. They really didn't get why McDavid won the Wayne Gretzky trophy over Cassels. Like he outscored 2nd place in points by 18 and the next player on his team by 24.

Lol, seriously? How laughable. :laugh:

TDM94

Apr 29, 2015
Odd interview from him I thought. Anyone else agree? His " I will see what I want to do with it" comment seemed awkward when referring to his summer preparation.

Yeah I felt a weird vibe watching that. Could be he's in shock is season is over but weird interview.

TDM94

Apr 29, 2015
Sounded like he wanted to play for Erie next year....imo

Honestly I just think he really wanted the Memorial Cup And OHL championship. But again he just had his season end. Probably shock and disappointment. He'll be wearing an Oiler jersey next year.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
that's not an easy time to be interviewed at all, I wouldn't read into it, like people read into the draft lottery.

McDavid will happily sign with Edmonton and hopefully turn the franchise around.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
was it as awkward as the draft lottery interview?

It was strange. When he was asked if he is ready to make the jump next year to play in the NHL, he said something along the lines of, "we'll see. It's up to me what I'm going to do. we'll see." Anyways, it was noticeably strange, and if I didn't know anything about him, I would say that it sounded like he was going the college route or something, lol.

Edit: he's probably just a bit of a strange kid. Anyone who devotes that much energy into one thing must have some noticeable psychological quirks.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I thought it was extremely odd and will most certainly have tongues wagging.

It almost sounded like he is either thinking of spending another year in junior or considering not reporting to the Oilers.

Wasn't it one of his life goals to win a memorial cup?

I think the announcers are right. That it was just him being modest as per usual and being caught in a lame interview right after having his dream crushed. Poor taste to interview him then and even worse to go on and on and on like the reporter did. People forget he is just a 17 year old kid.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the guy's junior career just ended...he's a winner and a competitor

of course he's gonna be choked and angry after losing a tough series

I hate when they interview guys right after losing...so many emotions

did people think he's gonna be happy?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

It almost sounded like he is either thinking of spending another year in junior or considering not reporting to the Oilers.

I think the announcers are right. That it was just him being modest as per usual and being caught in a lame interview right after having his dream crushed. Poor taste to interview him then and even worse to go on and on and on like the reporter did. People forget he is just a 17 year old kid.

Meh, I'm not going to get too much into those comments. Especially not reporting to the oilers. That assumption needs to end already.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
I didn't see it, but from the quote I would gather he meant that it's up to the team that drafts him if he plays in the NHL, and it's up to him to prove he is ready.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I didn't see it, but from the quote I would gather he meant that it's up to the team that drafts him if he plays in the NHL, and it's up to him to prove he is ready.

Probably what he meant, in his own awkward way.

People really, really need to stop reading novels into every little thing that's said or done.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

It could mean that as well. People just need to relax. If his father had to come out to say that Connor will be pleased and honored to play for any team he gets drafted on including Edmonton, I'm not going to worry that he'll pull a Lindros. Kid is way too humble to do something like that.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
If someone could find a video of the interview would be greatly appreciated, but as I said before probably nothing but a kid with a lot of emotions talking.

shoyen

Feb 11, 2003
St. Albert, Alberta
Visit site

I'm pretty sure he was just being modest. It sounded like he was saying he needs to have a great off season of training In order to make the nhl. Just him not assuming he will make an nhl team, even though it is ludicrous to think otherwise. He is just a humble modest kid.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
His goal was to win and his final game in a team hes been in for what 3 years just ended with him being shutout, how do you think he feels. He probably holds himself responsible and wants to stay another year in junior to bring the memorial cup to Erie but i get the feeling a combination of his dad and the NHL draft with get that out of his system.

People are going to make the biggest deal about this.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It's a shame he couldn't tie or break the playoff point record. He had a bit of a quiet final round, but had a playoffs of the ages overall. Hell of a draft year lmao.

The draft is to far away!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I missed the interview, but he just lost a game that he said that they'd win. That has to be tough for him to say the least. Let the kid get a chance to grieve and let this all sink in.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

I saw it, and that is all I took from it. People are being paranoid because of the bs Leafs media saying he should pull a Lindros. Kid knows you never talk as if you're a shoe-in to make the nhl. We saw all of our top picks say those same things.

I remember watching Oil change before the draft, and I thought when Hall said "hope that went well, team I want to go to" seemed really forced. I remember everyone saying he wanted to go to Boston because of Orr. He's all Oiler at heart now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad