GDT: Connor McDavid vs Oshawa Generals - OHL Finals Discussion

McBdayz15

Sep 21, 2007
Edmonton
If you watch at the 1:33 mark of the video while David Branch is talking about how the award is going to a special person and player McDavid just stands there and shakes his head.. It's 97% because he's sad that the interview seems so weird.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Ever since Pronger................???

Ever since Pronger left.....people in Edmonton has gone paranoid with who will not come here............either via a trade or free agents or a draftee.

Relax people, I am proud to live in Edmonton and proud to call myself an Edmontonian............we are the North and I am proud to be one.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Don't read into the interview. He's not gonna completely come out and say that he won't be playing for the Otters next season. He's too much of a pro, and too humble to say otherwise.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Ever since Pronger left.....people in Edmonton has gone paranoid with who will not come here............either via a trade or free agents or a draftee.

Relax people, I am proud to live in Edmonton and proud to call myself an Edmontonian............we are the North and I am proud to be one.

Phew. Everyone can relax because rosemount289 is proud to be an Edmontonian.

Just jokes. However, the Pronger did this rattle us, as it should have. We finally had a hero, good enough to lead this team to the promise land just to have him leave us right afterward. It was and still is rough.

We've have solid players come here, mainly through the draft, but that stigma of dismissal is still there. The many high profile UFAs or trades shooting us down, or the poll showing we were the worst destination in the NHL for players just adds to that.

Paranoid? Sure. Appropriate paranoia? Definitely.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

Yeah, there's nothing here. He's trying to say all the right things.

1. Don't talk about being in the NHL until you're in the NHL
2. Don't talk about the team drafting you until you're drafted.
3. Be boring, like every other NHLer in the world not named Bryzgalov.

He's an Oiler. The end.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
After watching the interview I have zero concern… he meant exactly what I thought I meant, it's up to him to prove he is NHL ready.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

I don't think anyone is being paranoid. In fact, I haven't seen anyone say that it sounded as if he doesn't want to come here (maybe someone did say it--whatever). But it was indeed an awkward interview, and even if there weren't already whispers from the land of Mordor out East that said McDavid doesn't want to play in Edmonton, the language he used would make most people's ears perk up. But again, he seems to be humble to the point of being awkwardly so, and so it can be hard to interpret his words and reconcile his language with his tone. That's all. It was a strange interview.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
interview
Thanks! You da man. That clears up everything.

Q: "Are you ready to take that next step?"

A: "I don't know, it's really up for me to decide and it's gonna depend on the summer I have and the preparation I have. It's gonna be an exciting couple of months here or month-and-a-bit and I'm really looking forward to it. Once draft day happens that's when the really hard work starts, so it's gonna be up to me to figure out what I'm gonna do with it."

Nothing here, folks. It's up to him to make the team and he's looking forward to the draft.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton

He's an Oiler. The end.

Thank you!

I watched it and didn't see anything odd about that interview at all. You said it exactly right.

Some people, I tell yeah. The only way that interview was off is if you played it backwards and you started receiving subliminal messages. Honestly, there isn't anything worrisome about that interview period.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Thanks! You da man. That clears up everything.

Q: "Are you ready to take that next step?"

A: "I don't know, it's really up for me to decide and it's gonna depend on the summer I have and the preparation I have. It's gonna be an exciting couple of months here or month-and-a-bit and I'm really looking forward to it. Once draft day happens that's when the really hard work starts, so it's gonna be up to me to figure out what I'm gonna do with it."

Nothing here, folks. It's up to him to make the team and he's looking forward to the draft.

Not sure how anyone read into that.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

He's an Oiler. The end.

Exactumundo

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

He's an Oiler. The end.

Bingo. End of discussion!

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

He's an Oiler. The end.

Yep, pretty much just saying that he's going to work his ass off this summer to make whatever NHL team drafts him. If he doesn't work hard he could end up getting sent back down.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011

He's an Oiler. The end.
TLDR: Nothing to see here, he's an Oiler

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He looked like he just finished crying after realizing that this is the end for him in Erie. Like Nurse he's a passionate player and hates to lose. He might not be a polished interview but TBH I don't give a crap what kind of an interview he is as long as he brings it on the ice and I have no doubt that he will.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Guys, he's taken media relations training. It's not a bolt from the blue that he's the #1 pick.

Not sure I could interview that we'll at age 38, let alone age 18, especially after a disappointing loss.

I have trouble after my men's league games ja ja ja

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Pretty sure that when McDavid said that it was up to him he meant that it's up to him to put in the effort and work to really be ready for the next step that is the NHL. He's a humble guy and knows that nothing's a certainty for him at this point; he needs to continue to work hard and improve no matter where he may end up.

ace4

Mar 11, 2014
Vancouover fans are absolutely intolerable about Cassels. They really didn't get why McDavid won the Wayne Gretzky trophy over Cassels. Like he outscored 2nd place in points by 18 and the next player on his team by 24.

Its because Cassels outplayed McDavid by quite a margin in the OHL final. If McDavid had a better series and his team still lost most people wouldn't have a problem with him getting the Wayne Gretzky trophy. Usually the player who plays the best in the final series gets that award.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Its because Cassels outplayed McDavid by quite a margin in the OHL final. If McDavid had a better series and his team still lost most people wouldn't have a problem with him getting the Wayne Gretzky trophy. Usually the player who plays the best in the final series gets that award.

false

it's Playoffs MVP...not Finals MVP

McDavid was much more valuable to his team than Cassels was.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

Would you let me buy you a new "period" key for your keyboard?

goggog

Sep 2, 2006
Canada
You guys have to be ****ing kidding me. He obviously meant he has to earn his spot on the roster. Jesus...
Anyway, draft day can't come soon enough!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00