Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel - Round IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Eichel was all over the place with 6 SOG and created a ton of chances for his linemates while playing excellent 2 way hockey. McDavid had 1 shot and a goal.

That's no discredit to McDavid at all, be had another strong game, but Eichel was better.

Your post history should probably disqualify you from this discussion. Your agenda is showing. I watched both games too.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Eichel was all over the place with 6 SOG and created a ton of chances for his linemates while playing excellent 2 way hockey. McDavid had 1 shot and a goal.

That's no discredit to McDavid at all, be had another strong game, but Eichel was better.

McDavid may have had 1 shot and a goal, but he could've had an assist if Letestu buried the goal on a 2on1. McDavid also was strong defensively all night as he was good offensively. As a matter of fact, he's a leading contribution on Yakupov's better play. McDavid's showing why he's the best out of the draft right now. Hilarious to see the amount of crap I watched and heard early 1-2 games in about Eichel > McDavid.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

This kid isn't most players and it's quite evident. He has been the best Oiler for sure. Every time he is on the ice something gets created.. McLellan has already given him shifts on the PK. Oilers were penalty killing plenty and McDavid made some good defensive plays away from the puck in the third.

I stand by what I said. I'd be happy to be wrong. I just think people are asking too much of an 18 year old on a team with no puck moving D-Men.

NOTE : I modified my post after you quoted it - I was not giving McDavid enough credit. Again, I hope he proves me wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
There's always been a gap of these 2 players. It's not a huge gap but it's a gap. I don't know why that makes people defensive.

Enjoy both all!

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
McDavid may have had 1 shot and a goal, but he could've had an assist if Letestu buried the goal on a 2on1. McDavid also was strong defensively all night as he was good offensively. As a matter of fact, he's a leading contribution on Yakupov's better play. McDavid's showing why he's the best out of the draft right now. Hilarious to see the amount of crap I watched and heard early 1-2 games in about Eichel > McDavid.

No doubt McDavid is still the top of the draft. But he wasn't as dominant tonight, which tells me that the huge gap people continue to harp on isn't as big as they think.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You think higher of Eichel than most others do.

I disagree. There are five of scouts, journalists, fans etc that have Eichel as the best prospect since Crosby after McDavid. Which is where I also have him.

Is it really an agenda to have them ranked:

McDavid
Eichel

Instead of

McDavid

[huge gap]

Eichel

If anything, the agenda is with people who try to argue for the latter, when that seems to be more of a minority opinion.

Including preseason, Eichel has 8 points in 10 gp. McDavid has 11 points in 12 gp. That's hardly earth-shatteringly different, and doesn't support the argument for a huge gap.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Mcdavid.... Wow. Just wow

Mcdavid has adapted to the NHL the way a superbug adapts to a body and becomes resistant free

Not a hyperbole, with datsyuk injured, mcdavid is the best take away player in the NHL.

That's the scary part. His offense isn't even the best part of his game right now. His defensive posture along with his ability to take the puck away and create turnovers on the forecheck is already at an elite level and I don't throw out hyperbole too often.

The offense is actually behind his defensive game right now and he has 4 goals and 6 points in 7 games lol and these are not cupcake teams that he's playing against. I never could imagine that he would this good this soon.

This thread is an embarrassment in more ways then one.

Agreed. I said it in one of the other McDavid vs. Eichel threads. Both teams won the lottery so I don't see the need to talk down one in favor of the other.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
No doubt McDavid is still the top of the draft. But he wasn't as dominant tonight, which tells me that the huge gap people continue to harp on isn't as big as they think.

Opinions differ on both of their games. They're both players that are going to succeed in this league nonetheless. Can't go wrong with either. Luckily for the oilers, we managed to get the phenom.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

Yes he was, McDavid was more dominant, at both ends of the ice. Try watching without your homer goggles on. Also, McDavid was playing against the Red Wings. Eichel was playing against a terrible Leafs team missing two of their better players.

Eichel controls the play a lot but he's nowhere near as dangerous as McDavid. McDavid's ridiculous quickness, hands, and hockey IQ mean it only takes him a couple of seconds to completely deconstruct a defense and create a goal or phenomenal chance. On all of his points except the deflection goal he's managed to single handedly turn a routine scenario (such as the 2-on-2 he scored on tonight) into an outnumbered situation in the blink of an eye. Eichel doesn't have that explosiveness.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I disagree. There are five of scouts, journalists, fans etc that have Eichel as the best prospect since Crosby after McDavid. Which is where I also have him.

McDavid
Eichel

Instead of

McDavid

[huge gap]

Eichel

If anything, the agenda is with people who try to argue for the latter, when that seems to be more of a minority opinion.

Including preseason, Eichel has 8 points in 10 gp. McDavid has 11 points in 12 gp. That's hardly earth-shatteringly different, and doesn't support the argument for a huge gap.

You spent most of last season arguing that McDavid's play was going to fall off, that there wasn't much of a gap between him and Eichel, that both could potentially go #1, then that Eichel was more NHL ready because hurr NCAA durr grown men, and so forth. If that didn't make it clear you have an agenda, now you're resorting to evaluating them using preseason points. :laugh: Everyone else who's actually watched them both play lately can see plainly that McDavid is clearly better. And since he's apparently not as NHL ready, I guess we should only expect the gap to widen.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

McDavid
Eichel

Instead of

McDavid

[huge gap]

Eichel

Guys... Why are you letting these posts get to you? Your guy scored tonight, the Oilers won and McDavid looks really good.

Just enjoy McDavid's success because I am sure he will go thru some dry spell and you'll wish you'd enjoyed the good days more. :)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Wow. Did you just use the pre-season stats to prove there isn't much of a gap between them? Whatever helps your argument! :handclap::handclap::handclap:

When your dealing with such a small sample size of hockey, it helps to bring in more data points.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
There's always been a gap of these 2 players. It's not a huge gap but it's a gap. I don't know why that makes people defensive.

Enjoy both all!

Because some people got sick of all the McJesus hype and might argue theres not a gap at all. They both have elite talent and the ability to take over a game at just 18 y/o.

Eichel scores a few pts ahead of McDavid..clearly Eichel is better. McDavid passes Eichel..oh look I told you he was always better. Seriously way too early to tell. It may very well be years before we find out who is better, if we ever do.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You spent most of last season arguing that McDavid's play was going to fall off, that there wasn't much of a gap between him and Eichel, that both could potentially go #1, then that Eichel was more NHL ready because hurr NCAA durr grown men, and so forth. If that didn't make it clear you have an agenda, now you're resorting to evaluating them using preseason points. :laugh: Everyone else who's actually watched them both play lately can see plainly that McDavid is clearly better. And since he's apparently not as NHL ready, I guess we should only expect the gap to widen.

Show me where I said this or GTFO. I've been a huge McDavid fan for years, as I've shown you repeatedly with actual post history dating back 3+ years.

If you think I have an agenda, then what is it called when someone starts spreading rumors about the GPA and IQ of a teenager? Pathetic is the word that pops up in my mind. Fitting given the source.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
On the power play, they've been dreadful.

Disagree. The better McDavid plays, the more other teams will try concentrate on shutting him down

Fair enough. I concede... you know more about the Oilers than I do.

Once Eberle returns and Sekera continues to improve to the level he has in past seasons then I think you'll be surprised. Klefbom also had a slow start but is picking up his game.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Show me where I said this or GTFO. I've been a huge McDavid fan for years, as I've shown you repeatedly with actual post history dating back 3+ years.

If you think I have an agenda, then what is it called when someone starts spreading rumors about the GPA and IQ of a teenager? Pathetic is the word that pops up in my mind. Fitting given the source.

Let this go, Semantics.

McDavid scored an awesome goal. Just enjoy your night.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Let's all just calm down. Both will be amazing players and already are. I personally think Mcdavid was better tonight but if someone else thinks Eichel was better then cool it's their opinion.

People need to give Yak more credit btw. He is great with any coach not named Eakins (TM is his 4th coach) and isn't just a product of Mcdavid. But they do play great together!

tripleX

Feb 22, 2010

Seriously? Someone really did that in order to discredit Eichel? Wow, whoever did that should feel shame of himself/herself.

Anyway, both are amazing players. And it's way to early to make any conclusion from such a small sample size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad