Value of: Connor McDavid (thought experiment involving NHL players, not picks or prospects)

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Whoever gets McDavid seems like he will be disappointed. When he is just a really good player and not Mario freaking Lemieux.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Whoever gets McDavid seems like he will be disappointed. When he is just a really good player and not Mario freaking Lemieux.

lol, he is probally the closest thing to Lemieux (minus the size), that the NHL has had in a long time. Guys hands are something else, his vision leadership.

He has 40 more points than any first OA for the past 10 years, Crosby being the closest in terms of production in juniors.

Guy is pretty much a Crosby, with better hands and weaker legs (crosbys legs are insane), he will be an instant star, Calder winner the whole deal. 100 point producer for years to come.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I'm guessing that whatever the return is, the juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze. No doubt the Flyers would've won the cup if they kept the package they gave up for Lindros.

Why would the Flyers be more likely to win a cup having not made the trade? Would Forsberg have been as successful always facing top match ups (vs sometimes getting secondary match ups behind Sakic)? Ricci was a high end 3C/decent 2C. Simon/Duchene/Hextall were all solid complimentary pieces, but hardly what you'd call the deciding factor in a cup contender reaching the ultimate goal.

People seem to only look at the aftermath in that deal. Seems to me people forget how utterly dominant the Big E was for a 6 year period leading up to his major concussion (via Stevens). I'm not sure the game will ever see such a dominant power forward (in terms of all abilities - hitting, fighting and intimidation to go with the size, speed and skill).

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
I got a call from a source that McDavid would only play for the Bruins

Deal looks like Kelly, Talbot, Caron (after we inevitably re-sign him) and recently acquired stud Zach Phillips

Im not gonna say who was that source, but I'm the source

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Sedins have about 2-3 great yrs left.
Horvat is nothing special.
Tanev is another 4/5 dman.
hahahaha this is just a mind boggling post. your evaluation of Chris Tanev firstly is an atrocity, Christopher Tanev is an absolute stud he plays against other teams best players and churns out fantastic results, the kid has developed into the a top pairing defenceman and has surpassed Dan Hamhuis a guy that made the Canadian Olympic team last year. Christopher Tanev would be far and away the best defenceman your team has.

As for your valuation of Horvat is gross and disengenous he's been a stalwart for us this season on pace for 16 goals on our fourth line, he looks like he's going to develop into an elite two-way centre.

Garbage analysis of these two players, makes me question your hockey knowledge entirely.

discordant concord

Jan 13, 2010
Temples of Syrinx
hahahaha this is just a mind boggling post. your evaluation of Chris Tanev firstly is an atrocity, Christopher Tanev is an absolute stud he plays against other teams best players and churns out fantastic results, the kid has developed into the a top pairing defenceman and has surpassed Dan Hamhuis a guy that made the Canadian Olympic team last year. Christopher Tanev would be far and away the best defenceman your team has.

As for your valuation of Horvat is gross and disengenous he's been a stalwart for us this season on pace for 16 goals on our fourth line, he looks like he's going to develop into an elite two-way centre.

Garbage analysis of these two players, makes me question your hockey knowledge entirely.

McDavid is worth more coming out of juniors than Crosby.

The Oilers need 1C, 2C, 1D, 2D, and 1G. Unless 3 or 4 of those assets are coming back then there's no deal for McDavid.

That poster thinks McDavid is the second coming of Gretzky. I will laugh my ass off if the Oilers draft him and he turns out to be another RNH or worse.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Roo from the Flyers...straight up...I would do it as a Flyer fan...even if we have to add a little....

discordant concord

Jan 13, 2010
Temples of Syrinx
Toews + Keith. One elite two-way centre in his prime and one franchise d-men just leaving his prime.

They are both signed long-term.

For one overhyped centre who some think will score 80 points+ next season. He is a potential franchise cornerstone, is cheap (for the next few years), and could be highly marketable.

Is it too much? Probably

Last edited:

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
It would have to be a youngish elite C right now. And that price would be too much. Thinking Tavares, Toews, Getzlaf.

Or it would have to be someone young with a visible elite ceiling. Tarasenko, Ekblad types. And that would not be enough.

So we're talking multiple players for McDavid. And they all would have to be young enough.

Kessel + JVR? Probably not enough.
Giroux + Voracek? Probably too much.
Sequin + Klingberg? Nah
Bergeron + Hamilton? Well...

Nice exercise. I think it's a case of nothing's enough and everything's too much. Hard to match values in theory, probably even harder in real life.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Johansen + Murray + Anismov
Toews + any D other than Keith

would be the max I would give from the two teams I follow

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Can someone find a list of comparable? Like trades for a top five overall pick in the draft from the past should be a decent measure. Obviously mcdavid would cost more but the comparable should give us a rough idea for the minimum.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
If the Oilers have the first overall pick, this trade:
To Edm: Price, Emelin
To Mtl: Eberle + 2015 1st.

Then again, I'm not an NHL GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad