Value of: Connor McDavid (thought experiment involving NHL players, not picks or prospects)

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
If i was the gm with the 1st oa the only way id move it is for 3 young players C+D+G. For example Hedman+Drouin+Vasilevsky or Ekblad+Bjudstad+ Or Jones+Forsberg+Saros. Literally giving you an entire young core to build around similar to the lindros trade. Im not saying any of those teams do it but thats what it would take for me at least.

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
I value McDavid more than any player in the league. Depending on what team he lands on, McDavid could very well lead the NHL in scoring next year. I think he's more valuable that post-concussed Crosby.

Of course, it's all potential right now. But I believe that, in his prime, he will be better than every player on the planet right now.

McDavid is worth more coming out of juniors than Crosby.

The Oilers need 1C, 2C, 1D, 2D, and 1G. Unless 3 or 4 of those assets are coming back then there's no deal for McDavid.

discordant concord

Jan 13, 2010
Temples of Syrinx
I value McDavid more than any player in the league. Depending on what team he lands on, McDavid could very well lead the NHL in scoring next year. I think he's more valuable that post-concussed Crosby.

Of course, it's all potential right now. But I believe that, in his prime, he will be better than every player on the planet right now.

Then what combination of players would it take to pry him from your hands? If that isn't enough what league-wide combination of players would it take to get him? A group of all-stars?

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
If i was the gm with the 1st oa the only way id move it is for 3 young players C+D+G. For example Hedman+Drouin+Vasilevsky or Ekblad+Bjudstad+ Or Jones+Forsberg+Saros. Literally giving you an entire young core to build around similar to the lindros trade. Im not saying any of those teams do it but thats what it would take for me at least.

Exactly.

Any team that wants McDavid then they need to fill the Oilers' void or MacT hangs up. Simple as that.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I'm guessing that whatever the return is, the juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze. No doubt the Flyers would've won the cup if they kept the package they gave up for Lindros.

discordant concord

Jan 13, 2010
Temples of Syrinx
Not even close. The Oilers have no need for any 30+ yo forwards. S. Weber is the only 30+yo player considered. The Oilers are built to win 2 yrs from now.

Disregarding the team that drafts him, is the value fair?

two 65-75 point forwards, who are capable of producing with scrubs. they are quality teammates and leaders
one potential second line centre, likely an elite third line centre
one potential elite shutdown d-man

this package basically makes a lot of teams a cup favorite

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
Disregarding the team that drafts him, is the value fair?

two 65-75 point forwards, who are quality teammates and leaders
one potential second line centre, likely an elite third line centre
one potential elite shutdown d-man

this package basically makes a lot of teams a cup favorite

I need names.

higgs011

May 8, 2014
Montreal
Pietrangelo, Tarasenko, Allen+++

But it still doesnt make sense for either side.

Fun to think about though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad