Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part III | UPD: Will Play Tuesday!!!!!

Timo

May 23, 2007
Edmonton
Lol @ at all the people wanting to wait extra time for no reason.

-Sir, your car is fixed and ready to be picked up.

-Great, but I think we should leave it in the shop for an extra week.

-But it's fixed now. You're good to drive.

-I don't want to drive it too early, because you fixed it ahead of schedule.

-It can't be more fixed than it is now...

Reilly13

Dec 2, 2011

More like

-Sir, your car is ready to be picked up.

-Great! So it's going to run as fast as it did before?

-It should but because you needed your car back today we weren't able to fix everything.

-What's that mean?

-It should run fine for now but because you needed it back today there's a chance it might break down in the future and you'll need to come see us again.

-:rant: Why didn't you fix it completely?

-Well we were planning on fixing it completely but because you needed it back ASAP there were some things that just weren't ready in time.

-What happens if it breaks down again?

-If it breaks down again we'll have to go through the exact same process again! It'll be in storage for up to 2 months until we have all the correct parts to fix it.
----------

I don't think anyone really wants to "wait extra time for no reason", if the bone is 100% healed then he should be playing, but if its say 80 % healed or 90 % healed why should we risk it? If he gets hurt again it means waiting even longer for him to come back the next time.

If he's 100% you play him and i'm not sure why anyone would argue otherwise.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

lol @ comparing human body to a car.

The kid has plates and screws placed on his bone. If they move or break the treatment starts from the beginning ie 3 more months.

but yeh if he is cleared he should be eased in .. Would rather start with opponents like TB, CAR , ARI instead of SJ, ANA and CGY.

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
More like

-Sir, your car is ready to be picked up.

-Great! So it's going to run as fast as it did before?

-It should but because you needed your car back today we weren't able to fix everything.

-What's that mean?

-It should run fine for now but because you needed it back today there's a chance it might break down in the future and you'll need to come see us again.

-:rant: Why didn't you fix it completely?

-Well we were planning on fixing it completely but because you needed it back ASAP there were some things that just weren't ready in time.

-What happens if it breaks down again?

-If it breaks down again we'll have to go through the exact same process again! It'll be in storage for up to 2 months until we have all the correct parts to fix it.
----------

I don't think anyone wants to "wait extra time for no reason", if the bone is 100% healed then he should be playing, but if its say 80 % healed or 90 % healed why should we risk it? If he gets hurt again it means waiting even longer for him to come back the next time.

That's not what people are saying at all. We are arguing that if he is 100% there's no reason for him to wait until after the all-star break. If he's only 90%, nobody will argue against waiting a little bit.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
That's not what people are saying at all. We are arguing that if he is 100% there's no reason for him to wait until after the all-star break. If he's only 90%, nobody will argue against waiting a little bit.

Well his estimated return was for mid January.. All star break is end January..
All I said was that if he gets the clear from the Doctor for Mid Jan why not keep him out a couple more games adding 10 more days to his rehab. Allstar break for Oilers is 9 days.

If he gets the clear early January then yeh there is no point keeping a healthy McDavid out for over a week.

oilz89*

Dude he's gonna be 100%.. it won't be until the allstar break LMAO what are you talking about :facepalm:

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

The kid has plates and screws placed on his bone. If they move or break the treatment starts from the beginning ie 3 more months.

but yeh if he is cleared he should be eased in .. Would rather start with opponents like TB, CAR , ARI instead of SJ, ANA and CGY.

CGY? Aside from Ferland, who does Calgary have that is big or tough? Not exactly the scariest opponents out there.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
CGY? Aside from Ferland, who does Calgary have that is big or tough? Not exactly the scariest opponents out there.

Calgary has gotten really soft. I'd argue softer than the Oilers were last year.
That's what happens when you replace Iginla with Gaudreau and Regehr with Hamilton I suppose.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

That bone is completely and fully healed after 6 weeks. The only reason he gets held out is to make sure his strength and wind are up to standard. And those are two very important reasons to wait and be sure. As for him waiting for selective opponents, not sure where you're going with that. Was the guy that helped him into the boards in the first place a goon, or playing on a goon team? You play him when he's ready, not based on the opponent.:shakehead

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
That bone is completely and fully healed after 6 weeks. The only reason he gets held out is to make sure his strength and wind are up to standard. And those are two very important reasons to wait and be sure.

Yes, I agree, just that it is McDavid. The guy will not fall out of shape. This thinking is for older players who went and sat on the couch for weeks. McDavid is probably in better shape than before the injury. Once the bone is 100%, he will be good to go.

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
Just to be really safe, we should wait until next season to play McD :sarcasm:

It will be 210% be then, you can't be too careful :shakehead

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yes, I agree, just that it is McDavid. The guy will not fall out of shape. This thinking is for older players who went and sat on the couch for weeks. McDavid is probably in better shape than before the injury. Once the bone is 100%, he will be good to go.

The bone may be healed up 100 %, but it is the muscle structure around the bone and the lack of range of movement that always lag behind. These are issues that cannot be dismissed because he was in good shape before. if they aren't addressed, he will run the risk of re-injury or another type of injury. I know he's been doing light excercises like swimming and light weights and some stretching during rehab, but now it gets ramped up after the doc gives the green light for the bone being fully healed.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Just to be really safe, we should wait until next season to play McD :sarcasm:

It will be 210% be then, you can't be too careful :shakehead

Good call, this would also give him a better chance to win the coveted rookie of the year award.:D

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
That bone is completely and fully healed after 6 weeks. The only reason he gets held out is to make sure his strength and wind are up to standard. And those are two very important reasons to wait and be sure.
says who? Dr.Stoneman?
3 months after surgery is what Docs estimate for regular people. Athletes with strict rehab program would be shorter but nowhere it states this magic 6 weeks number.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
says who? Dr.Stoneman?
3 months after surgery is what Docs estimate for regular people. Athletes with strict rehab program would be shorter but nowhere it states this magic 6 weeks number.

I'm no Doctor. However, in my life, I've been unfortunate to have experienced several surgeries on various parts of my sad body.

But my wife is one of the heads of the OR at one of the Edmonton hospitals, so I do have some expertise to draw from.:D

Where are you getting your info from, the internet?:)

Six weeks is the normal time it takes the clavicle to fully heal. And provided there is no ligament damage, as it appears there wasn't according to reports, that definitely shortens the time afterwards to get back into the swing of things.

Last edited:

duul

Jun 21, 2010
says who? Dr.Stoneman?

I had a standard clavicle break myself at age 16. Know a few others who had them too. We also can draw from the famous athletes who have suffered similar injury. Recovery time is 6-8 weeks. This 12 week baloney is just that - baloney.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
McDavid's injury was Nov 3. We are now at 6 weeks today. 12 weeks brings us to the end of January. Yakupov was Nov 25 and was 2 - 4 weeks. We are at 3 weeks now.

I have tickets February 6 to see the Oilers and Habs in Montreal. Would I ever like to see the whole team together

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I had a standard clavicle break myself at age 16. Know a few others who had them too. We also can draw from the famous athletes who have suffered similar injury. Recovery time is 6-8 weeks. This 12 week baloney is just that - baloney.

Exactly. As I mentioned, recovery time can depend on other things associated with the broken bone, like ligament damage, etc.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'm no Doctor. However, in my life, I've been unfortunate to have experienced several surgeries on various parts of my sad body.

And my wife is one of the heads of the OR at one of the Edmonton hospitals, so I do have some expertise to draw from.:D

Where are you getting your info from, the internet?:)

Six weeks is the normal time it takes the clavicle to fully heal. And provided there is no ligament damage, as it appears there wasn't according to reports, that definitely shortens the time afterwards to get back into the swing of things.

I agree. I would also add that a player is not allowed to return until both the ortho surgeon and physical therapists clear the athlete. They do not do this on a whim, guess, or standard time line. Instead, they have clearly defined goals (e.g., x-ray/imaging, completion of coordinated physical tasks, measuring muscle size, strength/range of motion tests, occurrence of pain, etc...) the player must attain before they allow them to return to sport. Usually professional athletes in good physical shape with great attitudes towards physical therapy end up at the earlier of the recovery spectrum.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
McDavid's injury was Nov 3. We are now at 6 weeks today. 12 weeks brings us to the end of January. Yakupov was Nov 25 and was 2 - 4 weeks. We are at 3 weeks now.

I have tickets February 6 to see the Oilers and Habs in Montreal. Would I ever like to see the whole team together

Don't want to rain on your hopes, but don't keep them up too high. I'm sure a couple other guys will down with injury in their place.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The bone may be healed up 100 %, but it is the muscle structure around the bone and the lack of range of movement that always lag behind. These are issues that cannot be dismissed because he was in good shape before. if they aren't addressed, he will run the risk of re-injury or another type of injury. I know he's been doing light excercises like swimming and light weights and some stretching during rehab, but now it gets ramped up after the doc gives the green light for the bone being fully healed.

I see what your saying, but with this injury you basically have mobility back in 3 weeks. you can work the muscle, you just don't want to expose it to a huge hit. I don't see any reason he won't be back soon, but I guess we will find out soon enough won't we.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad