• Jack Hughes

Votes: 117 26.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Definitely not as good as current day Hughes which a large portion of the people in this thread say Bedard already is.
Yeah especially with the way Hughes has looked in training camp. He looks like he's going to be at least back to the level he was at before getting injured in the ASG by Brady Tkachuk (when he was on pace for something like 56 goals and 110 points).

If he stays healthy enough to play 75+ games, I suspect we'll see him hit 50+ goals and 100+ points. Not just because he looks better but because Bratt looks to have found another gear as well. That top line with those two and Toffoli could put up some gaudy numbers.

to be fair most of them say by the end of season. still unreal expectation and unnecessary burden for bedard's nhl career start.
Yeah, even by the end of the season that seems to be pretty unrealistic, especially considering Hughes is probably going to continue to improve himself. Jack will likely be a top 3-5 center in the league by the end of the season.

Unless Bedard's skating speed drastically improves in the next 6 months, I don't see him getting to that level. Even if he's a top 10 scoring center, his all around game is still very much that of an 18 year old rookie.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don't think so. I don't think he has the supporting cast around him to generate those kind of stats. but I'll be glad to be wrong and see him light it up for 90-100 pt. ROY season all on his own. That would, imo, make him the best prospect since Lindros, maybe even Lemieux. It will be fun tuning into Madhouse on Madison games again. It's been a few years. Looking forward to 10.10. One week to go.
I think you forgot about 2 rookies from the 05-06 season.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Voted Bedard but i was probably wrong. Even if Bedard hit his ceilling how much better can he be than current Jack hughes ? Bedard could end up better but taking the risk would not be worth it imo
Yeah this has been my thinking. Bedard could maybe end up better, but how much better could he possibly be? Versus the alternative where he never gets as good as current Hughes.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Jack Hughes looked utterly lost in his first two seasons in the league. Connor Bedard isn’t currently better than present day Hughes but he belongs in the NHL right now and his ceiling is higher and he’ll get there

• Haha
Reactions: xigon

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I don’t really see anything that Bedard does better than hughes besides his shot? Imo hughes shot is fine for 60 goal seasons so I don’t think it’s that much of a difference. Does Bedard have 80+ goal season potential? They control play in different ways. The ultimate complimentary set of skills would probably be the two of them on the same line.

I have no doubt Bedard is going to be a consistent 50g/100+p player but I also see the same with hughes over the next decade.

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
i disagree that Bedard's ceiling is higher than Jack Hughes

in a joking way Jack is taller

but like i dont think bedard has anything other than his shot better than jack hughes

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If that was the case then Bedard wouldn't have been the most hyped prospect since McDavid.
Not necessarily. Bedard's stats are what really led to that generational label. I don't think the "how" would have mattered too much when it comes to people hell bent on hyping the next top prospect. If it did, I don't think he would have gotten that label. He just doesn't have the ability to create time and space like true generational players have had, despite having some incredible skills.

All that said, besides having the significantly better shot, I think Bedard also has slightly better hands, and potentially better vision. But it's not like Hughes doesn't have elite hands and vision, and his shot has gotten pretty great too. And Hughes has such a huge advantage in his skating that I'm not sure Bedard's edge in other skills will be able to overcome.

Reactions: Felidae

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
say they are both 100-120 points players most years, here on out. Give me whichever one is the most non perimeter 100 pt player. playoff scoring is in front of the net.

as im sure some have said Bedard will almost certainly cost significantly more in a couple years then Hughes.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
This may be an unsustainable hot streak but actually watching Hughes this season, you can tell it's not just luck, he's unbelievably dynamic and can create plays at any given moment with his skillset. I still think Bedard can peak around 130 but at this point, Jack might just do the same thing. It's not certain Bedard reaches that level, but it's also not certain Jack maintains this level of play. I wanna wait until the end of this season to feel confident about picking one or the other. If Hughes finishes around 130 this season, I could very well pick him. We still haven't seen Bedard take over a game and show just how dynamic he can be so a lot of this is speculation as far as his argument is concerned.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Bedard could be better for sure. There is no proving he couldn’t be and he is major hyped. I get it.

Although if Bedard becomes as good as Hughes is right now, you aren’t unhappy with that.

If you are in Chicagos shoes you take Bedard because of the age and window. New Jersey does not trade Hughes straight up for Bedard though.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This may be an unsustainable hot streak but actually watching Hughes this season, you can tell it's not just luck, he's unbelievably dynamic and can create plays at any given moment with his skillset. I still think Bedard can peak around 130 but at this point, Jack might just do the same thing. It's not certain Bedard reaches that level, but it's also not certain Jack maintains this level of play. I wanna wait until the end of this season to feel confident about picking one or the other. If Hughes finishes around 130 this season, I could very well pick him. We still haven't seen Bedard take over a game and show just how dynamic he can be so a lot of this is speculation as far as his argument is concerned.
I think we're seeing him at a new level. He was incredible last year before injury at the ASG - on pace for something like 57g 111p before then.

But this year he's taken another step, you could tell in preseason. He's visibly quicker, faster, and stronger. Obviously he's not gonna score 200 points, but 130+ is absolutely in the realm of possibility. He only needs 113p in his last 76gp, which seems shockingly doable. His underlying 5v5 numbers are certainly sustainable. His 5v5 xGF/60 is up from 3.39 last year to 3.72 this year, which is pretty insane.

But his all situations on ice sh% of 18.8% is obviously going to come down, it should probably be nearer to 13-14% based on his ice time splits to date, but his % PP ice time is probably a bit inflated due to the number of PPs drawn. If his actual GF numbers matched his xGF numbers, his expected on ice shooting percentage would be 13.9%. It was ~12% the last few years, but so far this year he's averaged almost an extra minute of PP ice time due to more NJ PP opportunities/game.

The devils have scored 19 GF vs 14 xGF with Jack on the ice in all situations (the entire variance is due to PP puck luck), and Jack's IPP has been 89%. While most star players outperform expected goals, his IPP isn't likely to exceed 80% over the course of the season. So adjusting for puck luck, maybe we should have expected ~15 GF vs 14 xGF, and he only gets a point on ~80% of those.

That would give him ~12 points through his first 6 games. That's still a 164 point pace. Adjusting one last time what should be a higher share of 5v5 ice time going forward, it still suggests that his current level of play is compatible with a ~145-150 point scoring pace.

So while he's definitely on a bit of hot streak from a puck luck perspective, we're also seeing just an incredibly dominant new level of play from him. Even without puck luck he'd be putting up outrageous McDavid like numbers. And this matches the eye test, where honestly it has looked like he's been unlucky at times.

For me, the biggest question around sustainability isn't around his puck luck, but rather, can he sustain this level of offense creation? If he maintains this level (or even close to it), I don't think Bedard can reach him.

Last edited:

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
say they are both 100-120 points players most years, here on out. Give me whichever one is the most non perimeter 100 pt player. playoff scoring is in front of the net.

as im sure some have said Bedard will almost certainly cost significantly more in a couple years then Hughes.
well yeah if Bedard is as good as people were saying then he would for sure get paid alot more than Hughes at 8m

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Hughes has been scintillating and I hope he somehow keeps up his absurd pace for a little while longer. My comment now is more about people leaping back on the ‘Kill Bedard’ bandwagon.

That being said, it’s clear who is watching Chicago games and who is checking box scores or seeing 2 goals/4 points in 7 games and writing Bedard off.

He could easily be boasting a stat line of 5 goals/10 points so far. He looks and plays like he belongs, despite turning 18 mere months ago. As expected, the counting stats early on are a lower than what people thought (note that I strongly suspect most never saw even a clip of him play until the preseason and nearly as many probably haven’t even watched a full pro game of his yet).

I think it’ll be crystal clear by the time the calendar turns from 2023 to 2024 to the stat watchers, that he’s big time.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Not necessarily. Bedard's stats are what really led to that generational label. I don't think the "how" would have mattered too much when it comes to people hell bent on hyping the next top prospect. If it did, I don't think he would have gotten that label. He just doesn't have the ability to create time and space like true generational players have had, despite having some incredible skills.
you don't get those stats and being labeled the next generational talent by simply having an elite shot. You need to have really high end skills in other areas too.

I think it's fair to say Bedard>Hughes as a prospect, and probably did quite a few things on the same level or better than Hughes.

Obviously current Hughes has developed since then and it's possible his game had more room to grow than Bedard right now. But I suppose we will wait and see.

All that said, besides having the significantly better shot, I think Bedard also has slightly better hands, and potentially better vision. But it's not like Hughes doesn't have elite hands and vision, and his shot has gotten pretty great too. And Hughes has such a huge advantage in his skating that I'm not sure Bedard's edge in other skills will be able to overcome.
Can't argue with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad