• Jack Hughes

Votes: 117 26.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Peperidge farm remembers when Lafrenière was the closest thing to "generational".
hell I remember being called an idiot for preferring Svechnikov (coming off a 61 points in 68 games season) over Lafreniere and saying I didn't get the hype with the guy. The hype on this site can get unreal sometimes. If you're a team that has any thought of being competitive in the next couple years, you take the guy that's already an established top 10 center on a bargain contract every time and don't think twice about it. If you're blowing it up and starting from scratch that's when you need to have a debate about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xirik

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
LOVE Hughes. But I don't think I can pass on Bedard and what I think he'll become.

Hughes is probably Bedard's floor.
Hughes isn’t even in his final form. I think once he gets more of a “man-body” we’re looking at multiple 100+ point seasons in a row if the stars align.

Bedard is a surreal talent, but saying that Hughes is his floor is crazy talk. His floor could be like a perennial 40/40 guy.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
Hughes isn’t even in his final form. I think once he gets more of a “man-body” we’re looking at multiple 100+ point seasons in a row if the stars align.

Bedard is a surreal talent, but saying that Hughes is his floor is crazy talk. His floor could be like a perennial 40/40 guy.
Don't be so offended.

• Haha
Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
I would take Hughes. Why would you ever roll the dice when you have such a high end player? How much better than 100 points do you really think Bedard is capable of?

You can have a boat, or you can have the mystery box. It could even be a boat....
Because that what projection are. Bedard is going to be the best player in the nhl in 6 years

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Yeah he's an awesome player, he's going to be able to make plays like this often. But I wouldn't really consider this an example of "outskating" back pressure. Buchnevich took a bad angle and stopped moving his feet because he thought he had Bedard covered, but Bedard is just too elusive. And then Buchnevich just decided to skate away for.... reasons? Lol.

Bedard sent Neighbours to the shadow realm with that move, I thought he was unlucky to not score there.
I thought your initial argument about all of this is that you were questioning whether or not Bedard will be an elite "puck transporter". Would you admit that you might be wrong about that?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I thought your initial argument about all of this is that you were questioning whether or not Bedard will be an elite "puck transporter". Would you admit that you might be wrong about that?
I still don't think he will be an elite puck transporter. He will still be very very good, but he's not going to be like McDavid, Hughes, Eichel, Mackinnon etc. This has always been my position on this player.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
I don't want to vote, but this is more one-sided than I thought it would be. Guess I'll vote Hughes based on the odds.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
unfair? not unfair at all. reality.

when hughes signed his 8x8m contract i was vocal about i wouldn't trade him for mcdavid and got a lot of flack here. i didn't expect the devils to have such a steep upwards trajectory and make the playoffs in the first year of his contract.

but the reasoning stands. hughes + 4.5m in cap space can be as good as mcdavid and mcdavid's next contract most likely will be in the 15m range.
I'll say it again if Hughes at 8 million is a steal, then Bedard is the bigger steal in his ELC if he is resigned for 13-15 million per.

That's the huge flaw in the Hughes is a bargain at 8 million argument, it's just an extremely weak one and poorly constructed.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yeah he's an awesome player, he's going to be able to make plays like this often. But I wouldn't really consider this an example of "outskating" back pressure. Buchnevich took a bad angle and stopped moving his feet because he thought he had Bedard covered, but Bedard is just too elusive. And then Buchnevich just decided to skate away for.... reasons? Lol.

Bedard sent Neighbours to the shadow realm with that move, I thought he was unlucky to not score there.
I agree with this.

At the beginning of the clip I thought is was a nothing play then it was like Moses parting the Red Sea.

Maybe it just happened or maybe he is really that elusive.

The kid is special everyone should sit back and enjoy his progression it's awesome for hockey.

with a doubt about Bedard.
User name checks out eh?:naughty:

Reactions: njdevils1982

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I agree with this.

At the beginning of the clip I thought is was a nothing play then it was like Moses parting the Red Sea.

Maybe it just happened or maybe he is really that elusive.

The kid is special everyone should sit back and enjoy his progression it's awesome for hockey.

User name checks out eh?:naughty:
Canadian eh?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Want another close parallel?

Going into the 2012-13 season do you take ....rookie prospect Nail Yakupov, or 22 year old established Tavares, former #1 overall?
Tavares was a much more hyped first overall than Yakupov no ?

Bedard, junior point to a generational prospect, his draft year:

He destroyed the WHL, Yakupov was not close to lead his own team in scoring, 69 in 42 games excellent obviously, but not special for a first overall draft pick, it was a weak draft year, the year before or after, does not go first.

Really do not see how they are close as prospect at all. McDavid, Lindros, Crosby, Lafleur, Lemieux, are the type that dominated in the junior like Bedard

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Can’t believe this is even a question .

Bedard has potential to be even better than McDavid . Yes I just said it . Bedard has the potential to be better than McDavid .

I remember when the Great 99 played for the Soo Greyhounds people said he was too small , would never make it etc but he is the best player of all time .

I stand by this statement and think Bedard is really that good and has that potential to be better than McDavid .

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I'll say it again if Hughes at 8 million is a steal, then Bedard is the bigger steal in his ELC if he is resigned for 13-15 million per.

That's the huge flaw in the Hughes is a bargain at 8 million argument, it's just an extremely weak one and poorly constructed.
different opinions

yes elc players can be the best bargain in the nhl. especially when they play for a contender with a tight cap. in case of chicago it doesn't really matter as they don't use the full cap and are far removed from contendening. if by year three of bedard's elc chicago has a competitive team we can discuss this again.

but one year of relevant elc play and 4 years at 13m easilly get beaten by 5 years at 8m.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
different opinions

yes elc players can be the best bargain in the nhl. especially when they play for a contender with a tight cap. in case of chicago it doesn't really matter as they don't use the full cap and are far removed from contendening. if by year three of bedard's elc chicago has a competitive team we can discuss this again.

but one year of relevant elc play and 4 years at 13m easilly get beaten by 5 years at 8m.
It's 3 years of ELC play and your logic simply doesn't compute.

Sure in your scenario Bedard gets resigned at 13 million but let's not look at why (his performance no doubt in his ELC) but somehow 8 million is the only bargain to be seen here.

Hughes and Bedard are on different teams but we are discussing them as players not their teams and supporting cast.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
It's 3 years of ELC play and your logic simply doesn't compute.

Sure in your scenario Bedard gets resigned at 13 million but let's not look at why (his performance no doubt in his ELC) but somehow 8 million is the only bargain to be seen here.

Hughes and Bedard are on different teams but we are discussing them as players not their teams and supporting cast.
bedard is not for sale. chicago will not trade him whatever you offer them. discussing bedard as e.g. the avs 2c the nexr three years doesn't make sense as well. obviously a player like bedard on an elc contract would be a gift from heaven. but it won't happen.
same for hughes. he plays for the forseeable future for the devils and nothing will change that. there is no scenario where those players could be moved to any team in the league.
the question is do you prefer hughes' contribution for the devils or bedard's for the hawks. me as a devils fan i wouldn't risk the change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad