Post-Game Talk: congressperson

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
We had people complaining that when we were playing defensive low event hockey we didn't produce enough chances 5 on 5, is this better?

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
That's three games in a row now and 4 out of 5 where they gave up a ton of chances and lost the xG battle. It's not a good trend.

It's surprisingly not the forward corps. The top two lines are carrying play. The bottom two lines are fine considering the injuries they have.

None of our defense pairs are performing well.

Fox is either not himself, Lindgren has regressed to the point of dragging him down, or a bit of both, but we need more out of that pair.

We're not built for Fox to be above average. He has to be in the Norris discussion for this roster to work. Those are the cards we were dealt. Doing ok when he was injured was a meaningless blip.

The forwards are not as good on the defensive side of the puck as they had been like @HockeyBasedNYC said. The D corps needs their support. The exits have not been smooth either. Lots of bad passes. Lots of risky passes. Guilty of turning the puck over.

Reactions: bl02

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
The forwards are not as good on the defensive side of the puck as they had been like @HockeyBasedNYC said. The D corps needs their support. The exits have not been smooth either. Lots of bad passes. Lots of risky passes. Guilty of turning the puck over.
The whole 2nd period was odd man rushes both ways. Our forwards were caught up ice constantly. That's not the way we played when we were playing our best. Lavi stated that in his post game comments.
BTW, he said it was easily fixed. If the issue was the skill of our players, it wouldn't be easy to fix.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
The whole 2nd period was odd man rushes both ways. Our forwards were caught up ice constantly. That's not the way we played when we were playing our best. Lavi stated that in his post game comments.
Yes, I know. I just meant that they got away from playing the way they should because an early power play goal got them on the board and got them thinking they could get more if they pressed hard. Down 2-1, they should have went back to structure. The PPG put grandiose thoughts in their heads. Also, the recent comebacks and an 18-4-1 record probably had something to do with overconfidence too.

Reactions: bhamill

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Yes, I know. I just meant that they got away from playing the way they should because an early power play goal got them on the board and got them thinking they could get more if they pressed hard. Down 2-1, they should have went back to structure. The PPG put grandiose thoughts in their heads. Also, the recent comebacks and an 18-4-1 record probably had something to do with overconfidence too.
100%. After it gets to 2-1, get back to the structure immediately and get us to the 3rd down by 1 or even. The players decided to play pond hockey over the plan the coaches had. Maybe it's a good thing that this happened. Maybe they realize that the coaches are right more often than not

Reactions: will1066

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
5 on 5 Zibs always goes for the high danger pass like he’s on a 2 on 1. No matter how covered the guy is, he’s going to force the pass either with a no look quick deflection pass or sauce, as if that will ensure a good chance of the puck getting through. 9/10 it leads to a turnover and it’s getting annoying to watch. His play off the cycle is really iffy and when he and Kreids are not getting odd man rushes they do nothing in the O zone.

Salsa Shark

Sep 1, 2009
Jersey
BTW, he said it was easily fixed. If the issue was the skill of our players, it wouldn't be easy to fix.
100% both teams played fire wagon hockey in the second and their dude Foresberg made some big saves

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I don't mean to get political, but we went to the Canadian capital and didn't take care of business.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Let's unpack that a bit.

"On pace" can be misused if there is no good theoretical reason why you should be extrapolating the performance over a piece of the season outwards to make a projection.

But if some variable might have changed between previous seasons and the current one, then in econometrics you have a reasonable basis from which to suggest that perhaps the new season's trend might be the 'new norm' if you will.

For Mika, the only real offseason variable changes were 1) New coaching system and 2) another year older.

So unless you think Mika has had a slow start due to age or the system, then sure, there isn't much point with projections.

It's meaningless because if you say he is on pace for something you are assuming things like his shooting percentage and secondary assist rate (he currently has 0) will remain a constant which is obviously false.

He is shooting 8.3% at 5v5 this year. That isn't a terrible number but it's also worse than his last 5 years. He has 0 secondary assists. Usually he's around 0.5/60 of those. He has points on 53% of the goals while he is on the ice. He has been around 75-80% the last five years. Even the worst forwards (like Reaves) are more involved than that.

So why would you possibly prorate the numbers to 82 and assume those things will remain the same? They obviously will not.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If it means stinking up for someone who can’t or won’t do it themselves, at least he is willing. Anyone can get hurt even on those freak injuries. I prefer the team defend themselves and each other rather than rely on the refs to do something when sometimes they miss a call.
Fair enuf and 1 of my points here is if generally there is size/tufness throughout the lineup, it reduces [tho does not eliminate] the need for any one guy to be an enforcer

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We had people complaining that when we were playing defensive low event hockey we didn't produce enough chances 5 on 5, is this better?
It's way worse. I liked when we were boring but controlling play.

I wanna get back to the Pittsburgh and Philly games around Thanksgiving. Hell, people were ready to fall asleep the first two periods against Detroit and we were great in that game.

We don't have the speed, transition game, or skill quite frankly to go up and down the ice with teams.

We have size, good defensive IQ, and good finishers around the net. Those skills should be at the forefront.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Pretty good timing as far as losses go. Coming off winning 5 of 6 with a nice stretch of time off for Laviolette to get on them to correct some of this loose play.

The lack of emotion the Rangers play with might be a bit of a problem as the season goes on. They are going to see a lot of teams that need the wins more than them as the season progresses. Need to match the intensity.
I know some people think it's too soon.. marinate a little longer sure, but injecting some more youth and guys hungry not to go back wouldn't be such a bad thing in that regard. I'll keep beating that drum :laugh:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
wtf is the deal with our schedule? SIX straight weekends with back to backs.

Every single weekend from 11/24 through 12/31 we have back to back games, 4 of the 6 are actually 3 games in 4 nights and one of those is part of 4 games in 6 nights.

We had that random full week off, they couldn’t have alleviated some of these back to backs by throwing a game or two into that week?

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
When we buy out Zibanejad, we're gonna be talking about cashbackin'. Not a game. Cashbacking. We're not talkin' 'bout a game!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
When we buy out Zibanejad, we're gonna be talking about cashbackin'. Not a game. Cashbacking. We're not talkin' 'bout a game!
His value that low to buy him out. I rather deal him for young depth down the road like they did with Gaborik.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I think pulling a goalie down 3 is dumb. I'm not sure I've ever seen it work and it hasn't been done until a few years ago, maybe the Roy Avs. You can make the case for a loss is a loss but there's a line somewhere, otherwise why not pull a goalie down 10?
There def is a line. Down 10,
I think pulling a goalie down 3 is dumb. I'm not sure I've ever seen it work and it hasn't been done until a few years ago, maybe the Roy Avs. You can make the case for a loss is a loss but there's a line somewhere, otherwise why not pull a goalie down 10?
no reason to, but down 3 doesn't seem to be ridiculous. 1 in a 1000 to score 3, but what do you have to lose? They score and make it 4, then there's no reason to, and risk being embarrassed and pissing off your players.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
If I'm Lavi, I would tell KAM to shoot the puck given the chance. He's emerging as one of the team's more accurate shots.
A home grown goalscorer!

An issue he runs into off the cycle is forcing a shot when there's a high defender. It gets blocked and then a rush the other is started. Off the rush he's great, still needs some work off the cycle.

Kind of the same thing in D zone, he's great at destroying rushes against both in the NZ and near the net, he struggles maintaining his position and his man off the cycle.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
wtf is the deal with our schedule? SIX straight weekends with back to backs.

Every single weekend from 11/24 through 12/31 we have back to back games, 4 of the 6 are actually 3 games in 4 nights and one of those is part of 4 games in 6 nights.

We had that random full week off, they couldn’t have alleviated some of these back to backs by throwing a game or two into that week?
I think I remember seeing/hearing that every team submits a list of "NO AVAILABLE HOME GAME" on such and such dates. So many things going on at the Garden.......that it's no wonder as to why this happens to the Rangers, year in and year out. What I am suggesting, is that it may or may not be the NHL's/scheduler's fault. Don't the Knicks have scheduling preference over the Rangers as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad