Tribute Congratulations Kent Hughes for the best trade deadline in recent Habs history!

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Tyler Toffoli
Ben Chiarot
Artturi Lehkonen
Brett Kulak

For

1st round pick 2022
1st round pick 2023
2nd round pick 2023
2nd round pick (2024?)
4th round pick 2022
5th round pick 2023
Justin Barron
Emil Heineman
Ty Smilanic
William Lagesson

giphy.gif

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Guaranteed their parlaying some of those picks into NHL players
Agreed, the off season should be fun. I think they are going to try and compete next year, it IS still Molson's team and I expect them to try and ice a fringe playoff team. Anyone expecting them to tank is going to be disappointed.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Agreed, the off season should be fun. I think they are going to try and compete next year, it IS still Molson's team and I expect them to try and ice a fringe playoff team. Anyone expecting them to tank is going to be disappointed.
anyone expecting them to make the playoffs by trading 2nd picks and 3rd picks are gonna be dissapointed.
We are not making the playoff next season , scratch that from ur head.

The goal is to be competitive for 2024 and not 2023.

Allen Byron Hoffman Petry Dvorak and Drouin will all be goner at the next tdl next year. This team is not trying to compete with that bad roster.

Reactions: amethyst and ReHabs

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
From a rebuilding perspective it’s amazing.

But I’d say getting Kovalev at the deadline in 2004 was the best ever. The man carried the franchise for several years.
Depends how far back "recent history" goes, obviously it's relative to each.

Agreed though, few moves made in the past decade at deadline come close to the Kovalev acquisition.

Reactions: le_sean

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Tyler Toffoli
Ben Chiarot
Artturi Lehkonen
Brett Kulak

For

1st round pick 2022
1st round pick 2023
2nd round pick 2023
2nd round pick (2024?)
4th round pick 2022
5th round pick 2023
Justin Barron
Emil Heineman
Ty Smilanic
William Lagesson

giphy.gif

Justin Barron may be the best asset.

Don't forget about Nate Schnarr from Hammond (via Baddock).

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Unfortunately we didn't acquire future MVP Jack McBain so this TDL is an utter failure in my book :sarcasm:

Reactions: Tyson

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Let's recap:

Out:

- Tyler Toffoli
- Ben Chiarot
- Brett Kulak
- Arthuri Lehkonen
- Andrew Hammond

In:

- CGY 2022 1st round pick (top 10 protected)
- CGY 2025 5th round pick
- FLA 2023 1st round pick (unprotected)
- NYR 2022 4th round pick
- EDM 2023 2nd round pick
- COL 2024 2nd round pick
- Justin Barron
- Ty Smilanic
- Emil Heineman
- Tyler Pitlick
- Nate Schnarr

CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY return.

Well done my good sir!

This is what happen when you give the job to a real negotiator and not some clown that used to play in the NHL.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Some mea culpas are in order from the chicken littles who believed the specific order of trades and the fact the GM didn't outline every single step of the process in public meant the team was choosing Armia over Toffoli or some nonsense that made this front office just a rerun of the Bergevin era

Reactions: Colezuki

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I would assume that Jeff Petry is going to get traded around the NHL Entry Draft this summer, along with maybe one of Drouin or Hoffman. I would expect the rest of the guys to stay here for the time being, and to be honest it's all right.

It's not the return as much as the willingness to engage in a direction that delights me about the way Hughes handled this trade deadline. This indicates he has a clear plan in his mind. Something I couldn't say about Bergevin in his decade-long tenure in Montreal. Sure, the guy made some decent moves here and there, but in the end, there was no clear direction taken at any point.

Props to Hughes and Gorton. I feel like we're in good hands now.

With drouin, I think you just have to let the contract ride out. He is a massive risk in terms of durability, and I don't think his wrist has been the same since the ovechkin hit last year.

Nobody is touching that.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
anyone expecting them to make the playoffs by trading 2nd picks and 3rd picks are gonna be dissapointed.
We are not making the playoff next season , scratch that from ur head.

The goal is to be competitive for 2024 and not 2023.

Allen Byron Hoffman Petry Dvorak and Drouin will all be goner at the next tdl next year. This team is not trying to compete with that bad roster.
I know you are trying to set the all time HF record for posts, but slow down if you are going to quote me.

I said I expect MGMT to try and compete next year, and ice a competitive team. Anyone expecting them to try and tank for a top 5 will be disappointed.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Let's recap:

Out:

- Tyler Toffoli
- Ben Chiarot
- Brett Kulak
- Arthuri Lehkonen
- Andrew Hammond

In:

- CGY 2022 1st round pick (top 10 protected)
- CGY 2025 5th round pick
- FLA 2023 1st round pick (unprotected)
- NYR 2022 4th round pick
- EDM 2023 2nd round pick
- COL 2024 2nd round pick
- Justin Barron
- Ty Smilanic
- Emil Heineman
- Tyler Pitlick
- Nate Schnarr

CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY return.

Well done my good sir!
He did very well!! Traded who he needed to trade AND got great returns. Well done Mr. Hughes. Sorry I doubted you...

Reactions: Tyson

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Man, the Dwight King trade from a few years ago has really scarred some of you LOL.
I would say it encapsulates the flawed philosophy of the previous regime TDL approach like none other lmao

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I know you are trying to set the all time HF record for posts, but slow down if you are going to quote me.

I said I expect MGMT to try and compete next year, and ice a competitive team. Anyone expecting them to try and tank for a top 5 will be disappointed.
nobody does a tanking a purpose , but they know damn well they are not making playoffs. This is why they are banking on 2 years of picks and prospects.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Great TDL day for Hughes.

He made a mistake with the Toffoli trade. But hopefully he's learned from this TDL to wait for the right day to make his moves. Today was such a day.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
One thing to notice with all the hughes trades so far are that he deals guys when they are at high value.

Lehkonen is having his best year so far, chiarot was doing well, as was kulak. Toffoli was putting up above average numbers as well.

He did not panic trade guys who are not in their best form right now like Armia, Dvorak or hoffman.

This is encouraging to me. There's no reason to sell guys at basement prices when you have the logic to know that they will be better down the road.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Interested to see what happens with Petry, Gallagher, Byron and potentially Price in the summer. This must have taken a hell of a lot of work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad