Tribute Congratulations Kent Hughes for the best trade deadline in recent Habs history!

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
If Bergevin don't give all these long fat contracts to guys like Armia, Gally, Hoffman, Drouin, even Price, Habs are not so deep in shit. That's what I am meaning. Look at TB. They keep their best, and trade their medium or unproven assets. In Montreal, it is the opposite. Right now, only Barron is "almost" a sure bet. Not the picks (yet) , and not Slimanic, Heineman or Schnaar.

If habs would be closer to cap floor than cap ceiling, I would be glad. But they are still at the top with lots of untradable deadwood. So, it's not re-construction for me. It is just , for the moment trying to extinguish the fire.
Hoffman and Armia are tradeable. Drouin may recover with MSL otherwise he has value next TDL with 50% retained. Price can be traded if he shows he's healthy, and Gallagher will probably rebound after a full offseason to train and rest, I don't think it's looking so bad.

The worst thing will be having to keep price if he stays injured.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Hoffman and Armia are tradeable. Drouin may recover with MSL otherwise he has value next TDL with 50% retained. Price can be traded if he shows he's healthy, and Gallagher will probably rebound after a full offseason to train and rest, I don't think it's looking so bad.

The worst thing will be having to keep price if he stays injured.
If Price stays injured, we can spend his 10M so no worries there.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Hughes was asked about that and he explained that the teams he was dealing with at this time, had little cap room and could not afford taking on big contracts. He also said that they had more calls about other players but those offers were not palatable.

A trading deadline where you deal only with contending teams, is not the best time to deal deadweight. We should see him make much more headway in the summer.
Chalk it up to some wishful thinking as perhaps with the new regime in place they might wow us with a dazzling display of some creative ingenuity. Was hopeful that in conjunction with moving out the,more or less redundant players,they might be able to start chipping away and shed some of the less desirable contracts.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The time wasn't right to move the others, TDL is about maximizing return for players you are ready to part with and that other teams want. Hughes said It, he wasn't reaching out to offer his players, he waited to be approached and had a value in mind. I'm sure he'll be more aggressive in the offseason to get rid of these players you want to see gone.
I see,was under the impression that it's never a bad time to get rid of garbage if possible. So,you're implying I'm the only one that wants to get rid of some players? Pretty sure I've seen posts ripping apart JD and BG and others and the were certainly not all from me.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Chalk it up to some wishful thinking as perhaps with the new regime in place they might wow us with a dazzling display of some creative ingenuity. Was hopeful that in conjunction with moving out the,more or less redundant players,they might be able to start chipping away and shed some of the less desirable contracts.
With the way Bergevin doled out his long term deals, he created a bunch of toxic assets. However, Hughes showed a lot of creativity and his reputation as a effective negotiator was on full display. Can’t wait to find out how he tackles his tougher trades where he’ll have to do more of the pitching in order to entice.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
First, it's not mute it's moot. Secondly, to post all this negativity and expect people to just agree or say nothing about it is pretty self-righteous, this is a message board where people will respond to an unpopular opinion which seems rooted in unrealistic expectations.

Everyone who is a fan of this team would take a deal for Price, Gallagher, Armia and a few others just to get their contracts off the books, that is not a minority opinion. The problem is every single one of those is a garbage contract and there are almost no teams who are able to even look at Price's deal or Gallaghers due to their cap situations.

I assume the new management feels like I do which is they don't want to retain on salary for these guys for years and years. I don't blame them and neither should you, that would be trash. Which means they need to be very patient and only pursue these trades when there is the flexibility and cap liquidity in the market, that is most definitely in the off season. No contender has cap space in season, no non-contender is salivating over Price or Gallagher ever, how do you move any of these overpaid guys? Better yet how are you gonna fault HuGo for a fundamental league situation?
Noted. Good catch BTW,was wondering if/when someone saw the seeds. Merci pour la visite Mr few and far between.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
With the way Bergevin doled out his long term deals, he created a bunch of toxic assets. However, Hughes showed a lot of creativity and his reputation as a effective negotiator was on full display. Can’t wait to find out how he tackles his tougher trades where he’ll have to do more of the pitching in order to entice.
Yes MB certainly really made a mess of things. Currently they have about what 20-30 m? just being a wasted. Can acquire some good players with that amount,ones that fit.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I hope a lot of rentals do well in this playoffs. Keep the buyers with the buyers mentality that is provides a lot of value for the playoffs. This sets us up well for next deadline when we look to move Byron, Hoffman, Drouin, Dvorak, Armia.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Let's recap:

Out:

- Tyler Toffoli
- Ben Chiarot
- Brett Kulak
- Arthuri Lehkonen
- Andrew Hammond

In:

- CGY 2022 1st round pick (top 10 protected)
- CGY 2025 5th round pick
- FLA 2023 1st round pick (unprotected)
- NYR 2022 4th round pick
- EDM 2023 2nd round pick
- COL 2024 2nd round pick
- Justin Barron
- Ty Smilanic
- Emil Heineman
- Tyler Pitlick
- William Lagesson
- Nate Schnarr

CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY return.

Well done my good sir!
To all the Bergevin fans and apologists - "This what we have been telling y'all for years !!!! "

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Yes MB certainly really made a mess of things. Currently they have about what 20-30 m? just being a wasted. Can acquire some good players with that amount,ones that fit.
Especially considering Dubas is lambasted for tying up $35M in Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander. All in their prime(ish)

We have Price, Webber, Gallagher, Hoffman... all over the hill.

Lol

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If Price stays injured, we can spend his 10M so no worries there.

Not in the summer. You can go 10% over the cap in the summer and LTIR contracts count toward it during the summer. Salary cap should but 82.5 millions next season so teams will be able to go 8.25 millions over it which is not even close to cover Price's and Weber's contracts. If both Price and Weber LTIRetire we will have a problem in our hands that will need to be solved.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Still think Minny or Arizona take on Weber's cap hit.....that will be a nice start.
If they want him to meet the floor requirement and he doesn't play next year his salary doesn't count against the cap when the season starts ....

So wouldn't they be beneath the floor when the season starts and in violation of the cap ?

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
I see,was under the impression that it's never a bad time to get rid of garbage if possible. So,you're implying I'm the only one that wants to get rid of some players? Pretty sure I've seen posts ripping apart JD and BG and others and the were certainly not all from me.
I don't know why you're taking this so personal, we all want to get rid of a few players, I agree with you. I just think that given the salary cap, these trade are easier made in the offseason.

Reactions: themilosh

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
How far we've come....

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 11.52.49 AM.png

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It's a bad time to get rid of them because nobody wants them when their focus is on gearing up for the playoffs. There will be more interest in the summer and next years deadline (For the UFAs to be). Like we maybe could've trade Byron this TD but his contract would bring down whatever value we could get. However by waiting until next years TD, when he'll be a pending UFA and we retain 50% of his salary we could potentially get a really good return, possibly even Lehkonen like if Byron has a good year. So it's often better to wait.

Reactions: themilosh

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I don't know why you're taking this so personal, we all want to get rid of a few players, I agree with you. I just think that given the salary cap, these trade are easier made in the offseason.
I'm not. Typically when someone uses YOU in a sentence, it's directed to someone specific,as you did. As for the rest,I've already made it clear as an opinion that I had,that's it.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
It's a bad time to get rid of them because nobody wants them when their focus is on gearing up for the playoffs. There will be more interest in the summer and next years deadline (For the UFAs to be). Like we maybe could've trade Byron this TD but his contract would bring down whatever value we could get. However by waiting until next years TD, when he'll be a pending UFA and we retain 50% of his salary we could potentially get a really good return, possibly even Lehkonen like if Byron has a good year. So it's often better to wait.
That's an opinion isn't it? nobody wanted them or the price was the part that was not able to be negotiated,who really knows:dunno:
Even with this new regime and so called transparency,there will always be ''selective disclosure'' imo

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That's an opinion isn't it? nobody wanted them or the price was the part that was not able to be negotiated,who really knows:dunno:
Even with this new regime and so called transparency,there will always be ''selective disclosure'' imo
There is always a point in any organization where the disclosure of certain information becomes too critical to its interests. You can thus never have complete transparency.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Yup it's an opinion, and yes we will never have full transparency, I don't even recall Gorton/Hughes saying that transparency is something that is actually important. Seems like you just want to complain for no reason so I'll leave you to it.

catmanhabsfan

Jan 4, 2006
Has anyone read this article on Kent Hughes reflecting on his first trade deadline as GM? What strikes me most, is just how intelligent he is. And I feel awful saying this but our last administrations didn't scream, to me at least, brilliant people really putting a lot of foresight into things or having a plan passed the upcoming or current year. He's also surrounded by alot of very intelligent people as well and I'm sure even more will come on board this offseason. The effects it has on things is not just reflected on the ice but off and it'll bring a high level of professionalism to our favourite organzation for the first time in quite a long time. I'm very excited to see where things go the next couple of years, even if things don't pan out (sports are awfully hard to win championships in, especially hockey) at least I for one will have a little more pride for the organization and how they handle themselves. I'm SURE this sort of thing goes into a players thinking when they hit FA and are looking for a spot to settle into and when other GM's are having dealings with Hughes.

Anyhoo..yeah good read (ps sorry if im not allowed to post a link or if there is a certian way to do it. Been here for like over a decade and a half, but never posted a link lol)

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
Has anyone read this article on Kent Hughes reflecting on his first trade deadline as GM? What strikes me most, is just how intelligent he is. And I feel awful saying this but our last administrations didn't scream, to me at least, brilliant people really putting a lot of foresight into things or having a plan passed the upcoming or current year. He's also surrounded by alot of very intelligent people as well and I'm sure even more will come on board this offseason. The effects it has on things is not just reflected on the ice but off and it'll bring a high level of professionalism to our favourite organzation for the first time in quite a long time. I'm very excited to see where things go the next couple of years, even if things don't pan out (sports are awfully hard to win championships in, especially hockey) at least I for one will have a little more pride for the organization and how they handle themselves. I'm SURE this sort of thing goes into a players thinking when they hit FA and are looking for a spot to settle into and when other GM's are having dealings with Hughes.

Anyhoo..yeah good read (ps sorry if im not allowed to post a link or if there is a certian way to do it. Been here for like over a decade and a half, but never posted a link lol)

Great article. I like Hughes conveys himself in long form answers and how he said his focus now is scouting and building organizational infrastructure for analytics and player development.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00