Marlies GDT: Conference Finals - Game #5 - Hershey Bears @ Toronto Marlies - *3 PM START - TSN2

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It's true, it takes the right attitude. That's one of the ways good pros separate themselves from the rest. I feel optimistic we have a bunch of guys who can do that, but time will tell.

I think we have a few of those types on our team. Brown is certainly one. As you said time will tell.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
truly bizarre decision to treat Bibeau like the #1 these playoffs.

Regular Season

Sparks .928sv%, 2.33gaa
Bibeau .909sv%, 2.70gaa

Playoffs

Sparks .915sv%, 2.30gaa
Bibeau .900sv%, 2.73gaa

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
For the greater good of the program this almost seems like the year they should have had a Drew McIntyre or a Scott Clemmensen type veteran to get them over the hump for the good of the overall program.

Sparks and Bibeau don't seem like they're really worth grooming.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Little advice AHL; next time a time wins the best record in the AHL, don't have them start on the road in the ECF. Not the only thing that did them in the end, but starting 2 on the road is not something anytime would want to do.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Little advice AHL; next time a time wins the best record in the AHL, don't have them start on the road in the ECF. Not the only thing that did them in the end, but starting 2 on the road is not something anytime would want to do.

Didn't the Marlies choose that format?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Didn't the Marlies choose that format?

It had to do with scheduling for Hershey because they had the circus in the building that they use.

I don't want to use that as an excuse, but it could be the difference being down 2-0 and the series tied 1-1.

The Marlies were outplayed all series, but the AHL has its limits.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
If they had to compromise; then it should have been 3-2-2 starting 3 at home. Not start your first 2 games in the road; you've set yourself up to possible go down 2-0 coming back home for game 3.

I don't know how the AHL does it, and I imagine there were scheduling conflicts, why did they just do 2-2-1-1-1? Hershey and Toronto are not that far apart.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Great season overall - disappointing they couldn't make the final after a dominant regular season, but I recall at the start of the season that there were questions about how far the youth on the team could take them. Nobody really predicted they'd be as dominant as they were. Great things from our kids this year and lots to build off of for next season as well.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Regular Season

Sparks .928sv%, 2.33gaa
Bibeau .909sv%, 2.70gaa

Playoffs

Sparks .915sv%, 2.30gaa
Bibeau .900sv%, 2.73gaa

I don't think they will offer Sparks a new contract, I suspect they may already have a replacement in mind and possibly 2 , One for the Leafs and another for the Marlies.

There seems to be a surplus of Goal Tenders available and even if they Draft one he will likely spend time in Junior.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
If they had to compromise; then it should have been 3-2-2 starting 3 at home. Not start your first 2 games in the road; you've set yourself up to possible go down 2-0 coming back home for game 3.

That isn't an option. That could have resulted in 3 home dates for one team and only 1 for the other if the series ended in a sweep. They need to ensure the lower seeded team has at least one less home game and at most equal regardless of series length.

The Marlies got to play three games at home and only had two on the road, so I have no idea why people are complaining about this.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Great season. Good learning experience in the playoffs.

It will be really interesting to see which players they part with and which they continue to build with. Some guys disappeared completely in the playoffs.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
For the greater good of the program this almost seems like the year they should have had a Drew McIntyre or a Scott Clemmensen type veteran to get them over the hump for the good of the overall program.

Sparks and Bibeau don't seem like they're really worth grooming.

well Dubas + Lou flat out said that they weren't concerned about "winning". they want to use the Marlies for development. Ie. see what you've got. getting a McIntyre/Clemmenson would win which is a boon, don't get me wrong - but then you don't know what you have (or rather what you need).

which is fine. I mean yeah, ideally i want to win, but I can understand and respect that stance as well.
in my opinion, it did just that. they got to a point - and i honestly feel (if it wasn't already so obvious) this team needs defense and goaltending in the worst way.. both had had their bright spots (goalies) - but none that I'd really want to commit to long term.

with regards to defense. same thing.

and while I am sad that they lost - everyone can use this as an awesome learning moment. I honestly don't know if the Marlies is going to be as deep as it is this year, ergo - unsure if they'll be THIS dominate. but regardless if they get kicked upstairs to Leafs or most stay here they can build on it.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

Regular Season

Sparks .928sv%, 2.33gaa
Bibeau .909sv%, 2.70gaa

Playoffs

Sparks .915sv%, 2.30gaa
Bibeau .900sv%, 2.73gaa

Bibeau was the better goalie after his first couple of bad months

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Brennan didn't look like he belongs in a beer league after watching that game but I'm still a fan of his for helping us get Matthews!

LoneWolf

Dec 11, 2015
well Dubas + Lou flat out said that they weren't concerned about "winning". they want to use the Marlies for development. Ie. see what you've got. getting a McIntyre/Clemmenson would win which is a boon, don't get me wrong - but then you don't know what you have (or rather what you need).

which is fine. I mean yeah, ideally i want to win, but I can understand and respect that stance as well.
in my opinion, it did just that. they got to a point - and i honestly feel (if it wasn't already so obvious) this team needs defense and goaltending in the worst way.. both had had their bright spots (goalies) - but none that I'd really want to commit to long term.

with regards to defense. same thing.

and while I am sad that they lost - everyone can use this as an awesome learning moment. I honestly don't know if the Marlies is going to be as deep as it is this year, ergo - unsure if they'll be THIS dominate. but regardless if they get kicked upstairs to Leafs or most stay here they can build on it.

Having a veteran goalie in the AHL is an important asset for developing young goaltenders, you could see development stalls in both our goalies this year because of it. Bibeau has been inconsistent and unreliable at best and Sparks has seriously regressed in my opinion. With Mcintyre there Sparks made some serious strides in his development, he was pretty bad when he first arrived. It is clear they favour Bibeau as a goalie prospect but as of now both don't look like they have much of a future anymore. I think they should find their own Matt Murray or Vasilevski and develop them under a high cailbre veteran, that is the formula for goalie development success. Maybe Kaskisuo is that elite goaltending prospect moving forward but I doubt it. I would say the same thing for Defense, the new crop of D prospects need a solid mentor to learn under, Percy and Brennan could very well destroy the development of some of these kids, they are an awful influence.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Having a veteran goalie in the AHL is an important asset for developing young goaltenders, you could see development stalls in both our goalies this year because of it. Bibeau has been inconsistent and unreliable at best and Sparks has seriously regressed in my opinion. With Mcintyre there Sparks made some serious strides in his development, he was pretty bad when he first arrived. It is clear they favour Bibeau as a goalie prospect but as of now both don't look like they have much of a future anymore. I think they should find their own Matt Murray or Vasilevski and develop them under a high cailbre veteran, that is the formula for goalie development success. Maybe Kaskisuo is that elite goaltending prospect moving forward but I doubt it. I would say the same thing for Defense, the new crop of D prospects need a solid mentor to learn under, Percy and Brennan could very well destroy the development of some of these kids, they are an awful influence.

I don't disagree. and they probably will. but i think that they just wanted to see WHAT they had. they already ditched Gibson (I know diceman was not happy with that). so probably to figure out who they wanted to keep and who to trade/not qualify they needed to see what they had in them. now they know.

but i was more speaking of the idea of getting the vet to help win the calder, I don't think that was ever in their plans for this year. just the fact that the marlies became SO amazing (despite being so young and all the injuries) - took everyone by surprise imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad