GDT: 2024 NHL Sharks Lottery Draft (update: We won! Sharks will pick 1st for the first time ever!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Pretty much this. But even regardless of that there's been research done which suggests that if there is any correlation between dressing a goon and what happens to your players, it's that you're more likely to have guys get hurt or be the victim of suspension-worthy hits and whatnot. But for the most part having an enforcer mostly does nothing and almost certainly doesn't actually help you sustain less injuries or be targeted for fewer cheap shots.

And that's just like 15-20 minutes of research and link-gathering.
Thankfully we haven't seen a full goon brought into the organization under Grier. I think Grier imagines a player like himself to "protect" guys in that you can play hockey and also have an edge. Kunin is probably the best example of that type of guy that we should expect to see Grier add.

Good news with Celebrini is that he plays a pro style game already and the Sharks aren't really despised by anyone right now to where guys will be looking for a reason to punish the youngster just because they can. Think he needs a big bodied F1 on his line, but don't think we see Grier go get a true goon like a Reaves, Rempe, etc.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Thankfully we haven't seen a full goon brought into the organization under Grier. I think Grier imagines a player like himself to "protect" guys in that you can play hockey and also have an edge. Kunin is probably the best example of that type of guy that we should expect to see Grier add.

Good news with Celebrini is that he plays a pro style game already and the Sharks aren't really despised by anyone right now to where guys will be looking for a reason to punish the youngster just because they can. Think he needs a big bodied F1 on his line, but don't think we see Grier go get a true goon like a Reaves, Rempe, etc.
G. Smith is a goon/enforcer. Granted not a very good one

Jul 10, 2010
Button had Parascak at 14 to the Sharks. Played an extra year of prep, but put up 106pts as a 17 year old in the W. Elite prospects has Button the highest on him with most others putting him in the 20-30 range

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021

I dunno about that there’s always the Dustin Browns of the world that will go after him kind of like Hertl

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
The other huge positive here is how we match up against teams in our division, who in a few years we'll hopefully be fighting for a playoff spot against. The pacific division is loaded at Center:

Mcdavid, Draisaitl
Pettersson, Miller
McTavish, Carlsson
Beniers, Wright
Eichel, Hertl
Kopitar, Danault

And then Calgary.

Some of those duos will be gone by the time we're competitive so it's not a huge worry yet.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I dunno about that there’s always the Dustin Browns of the world that will go after him kind of like Hertl
Dustin Brown just always played on the edge of what's allowable and not. He didn't target Hertl because he was a rookie, he targeted him because he was a player on the other team and that was how he played.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

OversKy

Oct 12, 2023
Dustin Brown just always played on the edge of what's allowable and not. He didn't target Hertl because he was a rookie, he targeted him because he was a player on the other team and that was how he played.
My man those were some filthy knee on knees.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
The other huge positive here is how we match up against teams in our division, who in a few years we'll hopefully be fighting for a playoff spot against. The pacific division is loaded at Center:

Mcdavid, Draisaitl
Pettersson, Miller
McTavish, Carlsson
Beniers, Wright
Eichel, Hertl
Kopitar, Danault

And then Calgary.

Some of those duos will be gone by the time we're competitive so it's not a huge worry yet.
Those duos are either going to be too old and/or too expensive by the time we're ready to compete in 3 years or so. The exception would be Anaheim and Seattle, but I am not sure either of those have a playoff team caliber #1. Carlsson is probably the closest among the 4 guys there as I think Beniers, Wright, and McTavish are 2's or 3's on playoff teams (Beniers/McTavish are 2's and Wright is likely a 3 if/when he cracks the NHL as a regular).

My man those were some filthy knee on knees.
Nobody is disputing that. It's just that he always played that style against basically everyone rather than just going after Hertl because he was a prominent rookie that I am disputing...

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Thinking about it, the forwards are fine. Maybe you'd like an extra top-six center:

Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Kostin-Celebrini-Kunin
Gushchin-Sturm-Smith
Bordeleau-Carpenter-Graf

The defense is a real issue. The Sharks need a puck-mover. I would target Reilly from TML. They also need a shutdown guy...Roy, Faulk, etc. should work. Trade Ferraro, buyout Vlasic:

Rielly-Emberson
Thrun-Faulk
Mukhamadullin-Benning
Rutta

Now each rookie is paired with a vet.
caps fan here, just want to congratulate you, well deserved 1st overall, hope your franchise will bounce back in a few seasons and... trust me, stay far away from Faulk. he can't even spell "shutdown D" and is absolutely terrible in d-zone, most Blues fans would fire him into the sun

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
caps fan here, just want to congratulate you, well deserved 1st overall, hope your franchise will bounce back in a few seasons and... trust me, stay far away from Faulk. he can't even spell "shutdown D" and is absolutely terrible in d-zone, most Blues fans would fire him into the sun
We literally don't have a D-Man that can move the puck right now. Care less about "shutdown" and more about a low cost puck mover when we have $40M in cap space. Straight swap of Rutta for Faulk makes a ton of sense for both teams.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I woke up today and had to double check to confirm we did indeed win the lottery and it wasn't all a dream.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We literally don't have a D-Man that can move the puck right now. Care less about "shutdown" and more about a low cost puck mover when we have $40M in cap space. Straight swap of Rutta for Faulk makes a ton of sense for both teams.
One side is the team POV and the other is the player's POV. SJ back in their day was a go to spot for players with NTC. But, players who have options typically do not want to be a part of long rebuilds. Faulk holds a full NTC for another year, then final 2 years it's 1/2 the league he can be moved to.

SJ needs to balance out being bad like Ana has been in 3 of the past 4 seasons finishing in the bottom 3 in those 3, to gain higher draft picks as they still need talent and properly developing the kids who make the NHL like Cellibrini, Eklund, and likely Smith.

Faulk might not be a realistic target, but that mindset of trying to acquire guys in their early 30's with 1-2 years left (not camp dumps), but guys a team say the Isles like Palmeri/PG Pageau that they may want to move off to change up the roster might be the type of targets. Maybe a Saad with 2 years left in STL. Guys of that mold where main goal of the other club is to free up the cap room.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Anyone here is planning to go Vegas for the 2024 NHL Draft will be held on June 28-29 at The Sphere in Las Vegas?
I'm going to Celebrini crazy!

Anyone here is planning to go Vegas for the 2024 NHL Draft will be held on June 28-29 at The Sphere in Las Vegas?
I'm going to Celebrini crazy!
Also, If Celebrini wants #17 jersey, will Bordaleau give it up for the 1st OA? or would Celeberini have to wear #71?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Can’t really accelerate a limited prospect pool as they didn’t look to rebuild. Up to 2 years ago they still gave Hertl the max term deal before the tdl and before hiring Grier.

They have an extra first in 2024 and 2025. Plus a 2nd from NJ this year. Need to make good selections with the extra picks but really you can’t rush a rebuild. Pick 14, 43, and next year from LV in the 20’s are going to need time to develop.

Only thing Macklin does is perhaps alter plans from taking cap dumps for assets to finding actual legit vets that teams want to move off from but are still solid players. The other club just needs or wants to change the makeup of their roster.

But for any rebuilding team, it’s hard to get value on vets. Going to have to overpay in either money or term to convince a vet to play on a rebuilding club. Saw that with Detroit when they added their vets. Same with other clubs. Maroon with Ana.

Have to scour the league to see which teams are looking to change up their rosters a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad