Common Sense Line-up for 2014-2015

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'm surprised at all the lineups with Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the top line together. We've seen in the past that it's not nearly as good as it is on paper. Teams just put their top pairings and best defensive forwards against them because Detroit's depth scoring isn't potent enough to warrant otherwise. I think splitting them gives Detroit their best chance.

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Franzen
Alfredsson - Datsyuk - Jurco
Tatar - Weiss - Sheahan
Abdelkader - Helm - Miller

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I'm surprised at all the lineups with Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the top line together. We've seen in the past that it's not nearly as good as it is on paper. Teams just put their top pairings and best defensive forwards against them because Detroit's depth scoring isn't potent enough to warrant otherwise. I think splitting them gives Detroit their best chance.

Tatar - Weiss - Sheahan

If Weiss doesn't play like hot ass this year we might finally have enough secondary scoring to do the job. Also with them together they might be able to stay fresher over the course of a full season so we could do some damage in the playoffs. The kid line was a godsend last year in that it allowed us to rip up the bottom 6 line that got paired up against them. And Franzen + Nyquist was good on the second line. Wasn't a complete line but with the injuries of last year Helm was often there center and as good as he is he like abby isn't a top 6 player.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

Tatar - Weiss - Sheahan

While I like the lineup I think we finally have the ability to keep Datsyuk & Zetterberg together. Nyquist, Weiss, Tatar, Sheahan, Franzen, and Alfredsson are all capable of scoring 50+ points next season if they are healthy. Not all of them will get 50 points but to have 6 players that have the ability to gives us some of the best offensive depth we've had since '09.

A 2nd line of Nyquist-Weiss-Franzen would still demand appropriate attention from other teams defenceman and a 3rd line of Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco/Whoever would eat up any 3rd pairing defenceman they would face.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Tatar - Weiss - Sheahan

to be honest, when looking around the east in particular, i dont see many teams if any who could rival a top line featuring datsyuk and zetterberg and (jurco).

this would reduce the workload on two aging stars and hopefully keep them healthy and having fun(which goes a long way to remaining healthy).

i think we finally have enough depth up front beyond them to finally accomodate it with nyquist, tatar, sheahan, franzen, alffie(i hope), helm, abby, and weiss

crashman

to be honest, when looking around the east in particular, i dont see many teams if any who could rival a top line featuring datsyuk and zetterberg and (jurco).

this would reduce the workload on two aging stars and hopefully keep them healthy and having fun(which goes a long way to remaining healthy).

i think we finally have enough depth up front beyond them to finally accomodate it with nyquist, tatar, sheahan, franzen, alffie(i hope), helm, abby, and weiss

I agree. I was ALWAYS an advocate of splitting up D & Z, but with the way some of our young forwards have progressed (i.e. Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan) I think we're deep enough up front to keep D & Z together. And if Weiss can keep it together as a 2nd line center, there's no reason to split them up unless they're just not clicking at all.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Don't really see Abdelkader being outside of the top 9. Whether we like it or not.

When's the last time he was a regular on the 4th line? Seems like he's been at least on line 3 for awhile now.

DatsyukianDeke*

D and Z were over PPG when they played last season until the injuries happened, not to mention they carried the offense for at least a month. Seemed like they were the only ones that could score.

If I were to go into the season, I would use these lines.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Jurco
Nyquist - Franzen - Alfredsson
Tatar - Weiss - Sheahan

Mule always seems to play a lot better as a center, he is more engaged. Oh and Abby can stay on the 4th line where he belongs. 40 points in over 120 games (past 3 years) doesn't warrant playing with better players. Jurco plays bigger then him anyways.

Tatar Sauce

Aug 24, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Nyquist-Weiss-Franzen
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Miller-Helm-Glendening

Andersson, Cleary

Kronwall-Smith
DeKeyser-Quincey
Ericsson-Kindl

Lashoff

Howard
Gustavsson

Callups:
F: Pulkkinen, Mantha, Ferraro, Callahan, Porter
D: Ouellet, Marchenko, Sproul
G: Mrazek

Some notes:
-I really liked Abdelkader on the top line, adds some grittiness and toughness for Dats and Z
-If alfredsson is back, I'd have him on the 2nd line and promote Franzen or Nyquist. Abdelkader would replace Helm, who would replace Jurco, who would be sent down to GR.
-I think Kronwall and Smith worked really well towards the end of last year, so keep them together. Ericsson can provide a steady defensive presence for Kindl, so he can take offensive risks,

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Don't really see Abdelkader being outside of the top 9. Whether we like it or not.

When's the last time he was a regular on the 4th line? Seems like he's been at least on line 3 for awhile now.

You're right unfortunately. A 4th line of Gator-Helm-Miller/Luke would be great. However, Gator will probably play in the top 6 and get Cleary points. You know the Wings will be overpaying in his next contract.. Heck, I wouldn't mind Gator playing with Tats and Riley on the 3rd line then you pump Jurco into the top 6.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Tatar - Weiss - Sheahan

I mean, they are very good together. We won a cup heavily based on their line chemistry with Tomas Holmstrom. But Babcock began separating them more and then our depth started to deteriorate. I think our offensive depth has improved. If the kids can continue to play well, I think we can finally keep them together.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You're right unfortunately. A 4th line of Gator-Helm-Miller/Luke would be great. However, Gator will probably play in the top 6 and get Cleary points. You know the Wings will be overpaying in his next contract.. Heck, I wouldn't mind Gator playing with Tats and Riley on the 3rd line then you pump Jurco into the top 6.

I don't mind Abdelkader on line 3. And last year Tatar-Helm-Abdelkader as the 3rd line looked great I'm my opinion. So much energy, a relentless forecheck, just always going all out for their entire shift.

If Jurco is sent down, and Alfie retires, I would like to run that as the 3rd line and give Sheahan a shot as the big body next to Dats and Z.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I don't mind Abdelkader on line 3. And last year Tatar-Helm-Abdelkader as the 3rd line looked great I'm my opinion. So much energy, a relentless forecheck, just always going all out for their entire shift.

If Jurco is sent down, and Alfie retires, I would like to run that as the 3rd line and give Sheahan a shot as the big body next to Dats and Z.

Sheahan-Dats-Jurco/Mantha :handclap:

Jesusberg

Jul 25, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I really like the look of:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Jurco (iffy on Jurco here, but worth a shot)
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Alfredsson
Miller-Helm-Abdelkader
Cleary, Glendening
(Andersson waived/traded)

Kronwall-Smith
Quincey-DeKeyser (Not my first choice, but have to work around Quincey)
Ericsson-Sproul/Marchenko
Lashoff
(Kindl traded)

What I think we'll see:

Nyquist-Weiss-Franzen
Tatar-Sheahan-Alfredsson
Miller-Helm-Glendening
Cleary, Andersson

Kronwall-Ericsson
Quincey-DeKeyser
Smith-Kindl
Lashoff

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Both Jurco and Mantha are great fits on a line with Datsyuk and Zetterberg when/if they mature a little. They provide something different to the line, they provide size, and they can finish plays.

Wouldn't mind seeing it in camp to begin with, and then perhaps later in the season.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Both Jurco and Mantha are great fits on a line with Datsyuk and Zetterberg when/if they mature a little. They provide something different to the line, they provide size, and they can finish plays.

Wouldn't mind seeing it in camp to begin with, and then perhaps later in the season.

Didn't Babcock and/or Holland say Mantha will get a chance next to Z and Pavel during preseason ?

Edit: Found this with a quick search. From Holland's mouth

“We’re going to give him every opportunity to make our team in training camp. He’s big, he can score, he’s got tremendous hands and hockey sense. The question is, can he score at next level? We’re going to give him an opportunity to play with our top six in training camp … If he can help us, we want him on our team. I don’t want him on the team as a 13th, 14th forward or on the fourth line playing eight minutes a night, penalty kill.

I know Mike Babcock wants to give Mantha some opportunities with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, with our best players. We have eight exhibition games. I know we want him to play 5-6. After we've watched him play for three weeks and we get to the end of September or early October, he's got to take somebody's job. If he can play in our top six with Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen and Nyquist, and contribute, he can play on our team. If not, we can put him in Grand Rapids, do the thing we’ve done through the years — let him learn to be a pro down there.”

Holland also admitted it is Babcock's decision:
“When we open with Boston (on Oct. 9) and the coach says to me he wants Mantha in the lineup, he’s in the lineup,”

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Track record is that Holland will over-sign forwards and keep waiver-exempt players in GR. And when healthy, Babcock will play veterans over kids.

Babcock said maybe that won't be the case this year, but old habits die hard.

I expect both Jurco and Mantha to be in GR to start the season. They will see some games when guys get hurt, quickly prove to be worth more than the player they are up to replace, and "win a job".

Well have the proper lineup in place by December, probably just going to have to stomach a less than ideal lineup for the first month or two. Like last year.

Last edited:

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
I really like the look of:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Jurco (iffy on Jurco here, but worth a shot)
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Alfredsson
Miller-Helm-Abdelkader
Cleary, Glendening
(Andersson waived/traded)

Kronwall-Smith
Quincey-DeKeyser (Not my first choice, but have to work around Quincey)
Ericsson-Sproul/Marchenko
Lashoff
(Kindl traded)

What I think we'll see:

Nyquist-Weiss-Franzen
Tatar-Sheahan-Alfredsson
Miller-Helm-Glendening
Cleary, Andersson

Kronwall-Ericsson
Quincey-DeKeyser
Smith-Kindl
Lashoff

I like and agree with this. Quincey seems to handicap us with only being able to play with DDK. The 2nd version Smith - Kindl could be a train wreck

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Track record is that Holland will over-sign forwards and keep waiver-exempt players in GR. And when healthy, Babcock will play veterans over kids.

Babcock said maybe that won't be the case this year, but old habits die hard.

I expect both Jurco and Mantha to be in GR to start the season. They will see some games when guys get hurt, quickly prove to be worth more than the player they are up to replace, and "win a job".

Well have the proper lineup in place by December, probably just going to have to stomach a less than ideal lineup for the first month or two. Like last year.

I don't disagree with any of this. My post was merely to share information.

Was it two years ago that Nyquist lit it up and preseason and was still sent to the A? It would not shock me if Mantha gets the same treatment.

Either way the experience cannot be ignored. A chance to play with Pavel and Z, if only for a few games, will definitely be beneficial for Mantha's development.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
If Mantha and Jurco both make the roster out of camp, I will send Babcock a hand written letter of appreciation.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
The most common-sense lineup will be the one that sees the most deserving players hit the ice every night. That likely means waiving Cleary and either trading or waiving Kindl, Lashoff, and Andersson. But that ain't happening.

In related news, if Cleary gets on the roster by way of "veteran wins in a tie," I'm going to lose my mind.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
The most common-sense lineup will be the one that sees the most deserving players hit the ice every night. That likely means waiving Cleary and either trading or waiving Kindl, Lashoff, and Andersson. But that ain't happening.

In related news, if Cleary gets on the roster by way of "veteran wins in a tie," I'm going to lose my mind.

Cleary has a one way deal, right?

My line-up this season would be.

Shanahan-Yzerman-Hull

Kozlov-Fedorov-Larionov

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Robitaille

McCarty-Cleary-Kocur

Lidstrom-Konstantinov

Chelios-Murphy

Fetisov-Kronwall

Hasek
Osgood

Yeah, I'm bored and need the season to start. Like right now.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Jurco - Datsyuk - Tatar
Weiss - Sheahan - Alfredsson
Abdelkader/ Miller - Glendening - Helm/ Miller
Healthy scratch: Miller/ Andersson
IR: Cleary, probably Helm at some point

1st line is a dominant ES line as we saw last year for a little bit. It gets Franzen going and keeps him relevant.

2nd line could be really explosive offensively and I think that Datsyuk's defensive abilities and Jurco's size help to make it viable without someone pushing a piano or a veteran winning a tie or whatever nonsense they will go with this year.

3rd line has responsible players who can all chip in offensively and eat up ES minutes.

4th line would probably be a constant carousel all season as Helm likely gets injured for stretches and guys like Miller and Andersson get lots of chances.

If I'm the GM this is the line up I give to Babcock for opening night. I know that by the 2nd period Abby and others would be in the top 6, but hey what can you do?

PP forwards: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Alfredsson (playing as D)

PK forwards: Helm, Weiss, Glendening, Abdelkader, Sheahan, Miller, Andersson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad