Columbus Thread VII (Convo and Questions About Columbus for Visitors and Locals)

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
OSU football related, when is the time usually announced for a TBA game? A few days before? Also, we're going to do the park and ride, where's a good lot to do from and how soon before kickoff before they fill up? Any answers would be greatly appreciated!
TBA game times usually announced no later than a week before the game. I would recommend the West Campus shuttle, I’ve used this for years. I’d get there to park at least 3-4 hours before kickoff. Enjoy

Reactions: Jovavic

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
OSU football related, when is the time usually announced for a TBA game? A few days before? Also, we're going to do the park and ride, where's a good lot to do from and how soon before kickoff before they fill up? Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Which game specifically?

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Game times/TV assignments from Week 4 on are announced 12 days out, with the possibility of a few 6-day holds (more prevalent later in the season). Maryland kick time should be announced Monday.

mattsarzsports.com is the ultimate resource on this stuff.

Reactions: Jovavic

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
FYI if you are going to any games in the near future. The entrance ramp from Neil Ave. to 670 eastbound is closed. If you normally use that when you leave the game you will need to find an alternate route like 4th street.
Not sure when it is scheduled to reopen.

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
I'll be headed up to Columbus to watch the Jackets-Hawks game on the 22nd of November, are there any good restaurants around that y'all would recommend? I've already been to Schmidt's, I thought it was great (both in food and in atmosphere), but that's really it in terms of local stuff (we just got stuff from Jet's or ate stuff brought from home for other meals). I'd love to hear what you guys like.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Anyone know where I can download a home/away schedule for my Google calendar? In the past, the CBJ schedule was downloaded in color-coded home/away fashion. I’ve only found a single (orange?!?!) colored calendar download available. It was nice to see at a glance if games were home or away.
IMG_5128.jpeg

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I'll be headed up to Columbus to watch the Jackets-Hawks game on the 22nd of November, are there any good restaurants around that y'all would recommend? I've already been to Schmidt's, I thought it was great (both in food and in atmosphere), but that's really it in terms of local stuff (we just got stuff from Jet's or ate stuff brought from home for other meals). I'd love to hear what you guys like.
There are a ton of good places to eat, all depends on what you are looking for, where you are going to be, and what your budget is. Give us some more details and lots of us would be happy to provide some ideas.

The fact that you are from out of town and found Schmidt's to begin with, tells me you are smarter than the average tourist.

Reactions: Bobcat205

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Keep an eye on this website.

If you know Jen Tieche, you know she is a huge advocate of more ice in Columbus. Her dream might be coming true soon.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
OSU Football TV note: With the Rutgers game airing on Channel 10, the Minnesota game is now set for BTN (kickoff time to be set late morning on November 6).

Speaking of OSU, when people say that Columbus sports is all about OSU, they obviously mean OSU FOOTBALL. While Buckeye men's hoops is still the second biggest Columbus team statewide, am I crazy to think that the Jackets (and maybe even the Crew) have passed them in Central Ohio?

Last edited:

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Keep an eye on this website.

If you know Jen Tieche, you know she is a huge advocate of more ice in Columbus. Her dream might be coming true soon.
I couldn’t find the location on the website, it just mentions “northeast.” Where is the place?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
OSU Football TV note: With the Rutgers game airing on Channel 10, the Minnesota game is now set for BTN (kickoff time to be set late morning on November 6).

Speaking of OSU, when people say that Columbus sports is all about OSU, they obviously mean OSU FOOTBALL. While Buckeye men's hoops is still the second biggest Columbus team statewide, am I crazy to think that the Jackets (and maybe even the Crew) have passed them in Central Ohio?
Honestly, if it wasn't for my grandfather (z''l) I don't think I'd ever have taken any notice of Buckeye basketball whatsoever. He was a big fan; supposedly it had something to do with some of his students having been on past teams or something (he was a professor of biology and entomology at OSU) but I never really knew for sure. As it is I pretty much never watch; basketball just isn't my thing.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009

I think the Crew have for sure. Hasn’t every Crew home game been a sell out this season?

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
This is me on a soapbox: I don't care if it's NBA, NCAA or down at my local park. I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than watch ten minutes of basketball.

That said, when my alma mater is playing basketball (they visit Xavier in November and Cincy in December this season) I am considering going. Not because I like basketball at all but because I wanna support my alma mater. Go Bryant Bulldogs!

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
This is me on a soapbox: I don't care if it's NBA, NCAA or down at my local park. I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than watch ten minutes of basketball.

That said, when my alma mater is playing basketball (they visit Xavier in November and Cincy in December this season) I am considering going. Not because I like basketball at all but because I wanna support my alma mater. Go Bryant Bulldogs!
I like watching basketball in exactly one situation: on TV during March Madness. I cannot watch it in person. I have no attention span to watch human greyhounds run back and forth. At least with TV, it's framed and focused and the commentary is fun during March Madness because it's about the traditions of the tournament and the history of the schools. I find that interesting. Also I think brackets are fun. I've won a good chunk of money over my lifetime with brackets. But yeah, any other context? No way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad