Columbus Thread IV (All City/Arena Questions, Ticket Exchange, Meetups, etc in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
After doing some further reading, it looks like the country station 95.5 is moving (cue my mother being confused when this happens) and sports is taking its place on this station. They will be carrying Jim Rome.

Jim Rome is another guy who most people are either hot or cold with. But he does still have a giant nationwide audience. Good catch for them. That will most likely be a lead in for Torg, I would think.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...-to-move-programming-to-wnkk-frequency-making

That makes sense.

Boy I never thought I'd see the day when I considered Jim Rome an upgrade in quality over other sports radio programming. Anyone remember the Fabulous Sports Babe? Now that was sports radio.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I remember being very confused in grade school. Even back then I was like "this is pretty bad".

Whoops. Except I was serious about the Babe. Loved that show. National radio personality with no agenda, talked legit hockey, was a passionate fan and actually took calls and interacted with callers.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Whoops. Except I was serious about the Babe. Loved that show. National radio personality with no agenda, talked legit hockey, was a passionate fan and actually took calls and interacted with callers.

i remember i read her book, but i didn't really get into sports talk radio until the early 2000's after i moved to Atlanta...

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Anyone remember the Dom Tiberi / Raymont Harris combo that 1460 used to throw out there? The Hindenburg of sports radio.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
The Fabulous Sports Babe and Pete Franklin are the only two sports talkers I ever made a point to tune in, any others we're just there when I happened to turn on the radio.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I really enjoy Dan Patrick. I wish that he was on FM and competing with Colin Cowherd. I like the Torg, I think when it comes to hockey, he's got some connections and knowledge. His show might become a better source than the "flagship." It will be interesting to see how things pan out or if 97.1 tries to block him from getting back on the air.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
The Fabulous Sports Babe and Pete Franklin are the only two sports talkers I ever made a point to tune in, any others we're just there when I happened to turn on the radio.

The Sports Babe was a gimmick and if you ever saw pictures, she was anything but a babe. She looked like Jabba the Hut. She got listeners because sports radio wasn't the phenomenon it is now. She was on the ground floor and just about anyone would listen to that gravelly, I smoke two packs of heaters a day voice because they wanted to hear sports talk.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I really enjoy Dan Patrick. I wish that he was on FM and competing with Colin Cowherd. I like the Torg, I think when it comes to hockey, he's got some connections and knowledge. His show might become a better source than the "flagship." It will be interesting to see how things pan out or if 97.1 tries to block him from getting back on the air.

he had a No Compete clause but I don't know if it ran out for this, or if it only included stations that were on the air as of a certain date, but he's been tweeting that its a done deal most of the day...so there's no blocking it i'm guessing

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
The Sports Babe was a gimmick and if you ever saw pictures, she was anything but a babe. She looked like Jabba the Hut. She got listeners because sports radio wasn't the phenomenon it is now. She was on the ground floor and just about anyone would listen to that gravelly, I smoke two packs of heaters a day voice because they wanted to hear sports talk.

Well, I'm not just anybody and I listened to her because I enjoyed her take on sports and never cared what she looked like. If she was on the ground floor, where would you place Sweet Pete, who preceded her by two decades?

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Well, I'm not just anybody and I listened to her because I enjoyed her take on sports and never cared what she looked like. If she was on the ground floor, where would you place Sweet Pete, who preceded her by two decades?

Until ESPN Radio hit it big, sports radio was mostly local and as part of a larger talk show, in fact here in Columbus, I only remember 610 doing any type of sports talk. That makes her ground floor. As for who Sweet Pete is, you got me on that one. Sports talk radio didn't become big nationally until ESPN Radio.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

So because Nancy wasn't hot it was a gimmick? You mean like they marketed the show as hosted by a hot chick, but secretly she was a troll? Or because, to you, the word "babe" only has one meaning, or can't be used in a comic fashion? Or you don't have any use for women in sports unless they're physically attractive?

She got listeners because she was genuine, funny, abrasive and knew her ****. Her nationally-syndicated show was light years better than anything, including Mike and Mike and Dan Patrick, that ESPN or any other network is running now.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
So because Nancy wasn't hot it was a gimmick? You mean like they marketed the show as hosted by a hot chick, but secretly she was a troll? Or because, to you, the word "babe" only has one meaning, or can't be used in a comic fashion? Or you don't have any use for women in sports unless they're physically attractive?

She got listeners because she was genuine, funny, abrasive and knew her ****. Her nationally-syndicated show was light years better than anything, including Mike and Mike and Dan Patrick, that ESPN or any other network is running now.

I listened to her as well, until she did two things.

The first was she got a couple of bone-headed calls from Columbus and then refused to take any calls from our fair city. From what I remember, she never again took calls from Columbus.

Number two, when the NHL announced plans for expansion, and Columbus, Oklahoma City, were two of the cities in the mix. She constantly bad mouthed Columbus, and predicted that we would be beat out by Okla City.

The rest is history.

That is when I quit listening to her BS.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Anyone remember the Dom Tiberi / Raymont Harris combo that 1460 used to throw out there? The Hindenburg of sports radio.

To me, the Hindenburg of sports radio was former OSU running back Joe Montgomery, who had a brief stint on 1460. I remember when Maurice Clarett had his famous "wild ride", people were obviously wondering what the hell happened to him. Montgomery spent hours yelling, "Did you ever play football? Did you ever play college football? Did you ever play in the NFL?" to anyone who dared question Clarett.

The funny part was when a guy called in and got all of that, and he responded with something like, "I suffered a career-ending injury in my first NFL training camp. At least I had to retire because of injury, unlike you who had to retire because he sucked."

Bizarro Bandwagoner

Jan 30, 2010
Maine
Not sure if this is the right thread but...

We're going to Michigan for a wedding this June. On the way, we're spending a day at Cedar Point. Two days from then we're staying in Detroit. Is there anything worthwhile to see/do during that day in between around those areas?

Thanks.

IBleedUnionBlue

Aug 16, 2009

We're going to Michigan for a wedding this June. On the way, we're spending a day at Cedar Point. Two days from then we're staying in Detroit. Is there anything worthwhile to see/do during that day in between around those areas?

Thanks.

Toledo - I love the atmosphere of Toledo Mudhen baseball. Toledo also has a nice zoo, good for children. Then of course you have Tony Paco hot dogs if you recall Klinger from the TV show MASH.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
i'm stoked... 97.1 needs some actual competition...

They really do. Cannot stand Beau Bishop and Anthony Rothman. I like Riccordati but Jonathan Smith irritates me for some reason.

Last edited:

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio

Thanks.

If you like to fish, I believe June is good for Walleye. Too early for Perch. Or take the ferry out to Put-In-Bay. Fun little island. Marblehead to Detroit is an easy drive, so just hang around the peninsula.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio

Thanks.

One other thing.

Northern Ohio has become pretty big wine country. There are wineries around where you will be, with some on the islands. If you are a wine drinker you could set-up some tours and do some tasting. I enjoy many wines from northern Ohio.

Even here in central Ohio, wineries are popping up all over the place, and the wine is pretty darn good in my book.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
One other thing.

Northern Ohio has become pretty big wine country. There are wineries around where you will be, with some on the islands. If you are a wine drinker you could set-up some tours and do some tasting. I enjoy many wines from northern Ohio.

Even here in central Ohio, wineries are popping up all over the place, and the wine is pretty darn good in my book.

"Firelands" is an excellent example.

They had an icewine one year that was as good as any I have ever had the good fortune to sample.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
One other thing.

The best Ohio wines are Ashtabula County and Northeast of Cleveland though. I believe that area has more wineries than the rest of Ohio combined. I have been to Firelands before. I believe there are a couple of others in places like Kelley's Island that I'd like to try as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad