Columbus Thread IV (All City/Arena Questions, Ticket Exchange, Meetups, etc in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnmccoy

Nov 18, 2013
Columbus
Got my season tickets all lined up, can someone hook a brother up with some ideas on reduced parking costs? We did the $10 garagex22 games last year and it added up quick. Here or PM will work. Thanks for any help:yo:

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
If you want cheaper parking you will have to move further away from the arena. A good place last season was the lot right behind and next too BBR off of Vine St. You get to it from the alleys next too and behind BBR. It was the only $5 lot left in the area, so hold your breath for this coming season. You also need to get there early as it is a smallish lot.

Also on the west side of the Arena you can get cheaper parking west of Betty's bar. The lot behind her bar used to be cheap, but the bar sold it, and now they charge the same price as the lots further east, $10. I have also heard talk of people grabbing free street parking but that will be a walk, but if you don't mind that it is free.

dnmccoy

Nov 18, 2013
Columbus
Yeah we have used the 5$ lot, but unless you get down there an hour or so early its full quick. I thought I had read about some of the garages on front st having seasonal rates. Im still searching

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Can park next to Sixty Spring on the corner of 3rd and Spring for $5. Just an 8 minute walk. Not terrible when the weather isn't bad.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
I almost always find a free meter near or on Spring St most nights. If they are full, there is a few $5 lots in the area if you don't mind a walk. We only use the expensive garages when the temperature is down around 0 or some Saturday nights when other events clog up our normal places.

dnmccoy

Nov 18, 2013
Columbus
I can live with a short walk, and 5$ is reasonable. I didnt know if anyone knew about any other parking arrangements.

Apparently there is discounted parking for STH but Ive yet to see anything from the CBJ about it since buying

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Apparently there is discounted parking for STH but Ive yet to see anything from the CBJ about it since buying

If I remember correctly, they send that information out around mid-August. It may be discounted, but it ain't cheap. Having said that, if you are willing to shell out the cash you can get access to the best lots possible, some of which aren't accessible to the public.

BJFan1

Feb 6, 2008
Columbus
Got my season tickets all lined up, can someone hook a brother up with some ideas on reduced parking costs? We did the $10 garagex22 games last year and it added up quick. Here or PM will work. Thanks for any help:yo:

If you don't mind the walk, I always park down by the fire house off of N. 5th Street or Neilston St. If you are going away from Nationwide Arena, East on Nationwide Blvd... you cross over N. 4th St (next to the Flat Iron restaurant), and the 2 streets are on the right. It's a bit of a haul for walking (about 8-10min), but I do it as long as it's not raining (or at least not very hard).

Point of it is, meters are free after 7pm. I get there at 5:45, wait til 6:02 or so, then put a quarter in the meter for the hour and it get's me past 7pm. Then I walk back after the game, turn right on 4th and get right on 670.

If you really don't mind the walk, it's hard to beat parking for $5 for 20 games.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Depending on where you're coming from, CoGo is $6 for a 24 hour pass (bike share) with a station right next to the arena. The CBUS circulator stops at NW and Front as well - it's a free COTA bus.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Must say some nice people on here to share those "secret" parking spots. :handclap: I'd be worried of it being harder to get one if more people knew about them.:(

joshjoshjosh

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 15, 2010
Guam
If it's not bitter cold or raining the parking lot on Nationwide Blvd between 3rd and 4th street is 5 (right?) dollars and never fills up

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
Hockey vacation in Columbus

I am considering a trip to Columbus to watch a couple of games in late October. Would stay for 5 nights. I have read that the traffic is nuts in your city. Hopefully that is exaggerated. If not, would you stay outside downtown and drive to game or would you stay downtown and drive everywhere else on non-hockey days. Also, any good hotel recommendations? Appreciate it.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
nuts in relation to what?

Traffic in Columbus is not bad when you come down to it. Is it bad compared to Thunder Bay, Ontario? Sure. But in relation to major cities in the USA, Columbus traffic is really ok.

I live in North Columbus, work in East Columbus. I can leave work at 4:30 and go home to feed my dogs dinner and then be downtown by 5:30-5:45 if I have dinner plans before the game. If I just want to get there before the puck drops I don't have to hurry.

You'll probably find cheaper hotels outside of downtown. I'm sure we can have recommendations on where to stay depending on what you are interested in doing while you are here.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Yea, merge away.

Anyway. I recommend the Hampton Inn Arena District. It is a cheaper Hilton property, and very nice. I know some hotel people, and they say that Hilton properties tend to be bed bug free. Yes, sadly, in this advanced nation we have a bed bug problem. Plus, it is located in a great spot in the Short North close to plenty of great bars, restaurants, the North Market, and an easy walk to the Arena.

Don't worry about traffic if you aren't going to stray far from the Arena District. If you do plan on taking in some sights elsewhere, just avoid rush hour into the city in the AM and out of the city in the PM.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Traffic outside of normal rush hour traffic is nothing here. The outer belt can get nasty on the far west side or eastbound in the north part of town from 4-6pm, but outside of those hours there is really no traffic at all. Downtown is under a lot of construction, unless much of its been wrapped up in the last 3 weeks. It depends on what youre planning on doing with your other time on where you want to stay. I cant really recommend any hotels as i've never stayed at a hotel in Columbus :laugh:

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
There are several hotels within easy walking distance of Nationwide Arena - Hilton, Hyatt Regency, Crowne Plaza, Hampton Inn and Drury Inn. Stay at one of these places and you have a two block walk to the game. Plenty of bars and restaurants right around the arena too. On non-hockey days you can walk from these hotels to the Short North, which is Columbus' best urban neighborhood. Only places I can think of to drive on non-hockey days would be Easton Town Center, the Columbus Zoo, Ohio State area, maybe Grandview Avenue or German Village.

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
Thank you so much for the great info everyone. I am looking forward to seeing your city and arena.
Really appreciated.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Anyone know when season ticket holders have access to the regular season ticket pre sale? My email is FUBAR and I'm afraid I may have missed the notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad