Columbus Thread IV (All City/Arena Questions, Ticket Exchange, Meetups, etc in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
yeah we will go there every once in a while, but they are always understaffed...this year's bar of choice has been BBR, its nice that the servers know most of our orders and have done well taking care of us "for the most part" the $3 happy hour well liquors makes it better...but we'll probably move to another bar next year as more people branch away from Rbar

cbjhockey6

Apr 22, 2006
Ohio
If anyone is looking for tickets for tomorrow, I have 4 in 109 that I need to sell. PM me if you are interested.

****SOLD****

Last edited:

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
I didn't want to seem pretentious and make my own thread for this so I hope this is the right place to say how impressed I was with Columbus yesterday.

We came over from Pittsburgh just for the game and really wish we could have stayed longer. Very nice town, very clean (at least the Arena District), friendly folks (for the most part, but we did have our Pens jerseys on) and what an amazing crowd.

The arena was great, easy to get around (compared to Consol anyway) and the seating area was exceptional in my opinion. Taking into consideration that you don't have a very deep playoff history I thought the crowd was unreal, when/if you guys put a Cup contender in that place I can't imagine how loud it will be. I don't understand the Crosby hate, though. I mean it was obvious. I'm probably older than most here and can remember when we got to see Gretzky play at the old Civic Arena it was a treat and you were in awe of his ability, he never got boo'd that's for sure. As much as I hate, and I mean HATE the Flyers I still respect the talent Giroux brings to the ice. Sid is an amazing talent and I'm not sure why he garners so much hatred, maybe it's just the cool thing to do, I dunno.

In any event one thing that really stood out to me was when the Pens tied the game at 3-3 the crowd almost immediately got right behind their team with a "CBJ, CBJ, CBJ" chant. That was pretty amazing. I can tell you here in Pittsburgh if that happens against us you certainly wouldn't hear much support right away, just *****ing and moaning. That's something I hope you all take pride in.

Anyway, I was impressed with the city and the arena, but mostly with the crowd as it was amazing. Good luck the rest of the way and if you get past us, will you please knock out the Flyers for us? Seriously, not sure if I mentioned it, but I hate them.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
That was a pleasant post. I too found Consol a bit confusing, but my only REAL gripe was having to drink RC Cola. (bleeck):p:
As old and imperfect as it was, I miss the Igloo.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
That was a pleasant post. I too found Consol a bit confusing, but my only REAL gripe was having to drink RC Cola. (bleeck):p:
As old and imperfect as it was, I miss the Igloo.

I loved the Igloo, for several reasons. I liked the terrible seating arrangements (including sections that ran from the ice, clear up to the top of the dome, as well as bleacher seats that literally hung from the ceiling). I loved the look of the outside. But, it's easy to see why they tore it down (see reasons 1 and 2) ... Some of my more memorable moments in the Igloo were getting lost. On more than one occasion, we would turn a corner, only to end up in a dead-end hallway with no windows, just steel beams and a drop off to the concrete below.

My fondest memory of the Igloo was the last time we went there. An old fashioned Penguins-Flyers rivalry game on a Saturday afternoon. As we wandered to find our seats, we found our way to a stairwell. Not seeing any staff around or any signs pointing us in any direction, we followed it to the bottom - right to the visitors' dressing room. No security, nobody to help you out ... just a friendly group of Broad Street Bullies, who clearly had this happen to them before, and a team staff member who helped us along.

One of those things I'll never forget.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I had one of those Lost in the Igloo moments when a bunch of us took a bus trip over to watch the Pens-Red Wings game right after Columbus got the team (not named yet). Once I found my way back to my seat, I never left again. And those hallways! People think the hallways in the Joe are narrow, gheez!

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I didn't want to seem pretentious and make my own thread for this so I hope this is the right place to say how impressed I was with Columbus yesterday.

We came over from Pittsburgh just for the game and really wish we could have stayed longer. Very nice town, very clean (at least the Arena District), friendly folks (for the most part, but we did have our Pens jerseys on) and what an amazing crowd.

The arena was great, easy to get around (compared to Consol anyway) and the seating area was exceptional in my opinion. Taking into consideration that you don't have a very deep playoff history I thought the crowd was unreal, when/if you guys put a Cup contender in that place I can't imagine how loud it will be. I don't understand the Crosby hate, though. I mean it was obvious. I'm probably older than most here and can remember when we got to see Gretzky play at the old Civic Arena it was a treat and you were in awe of his ability, he never got boo'd that's for sure. As much as I hate, and I mean HATE the Flyers I still respect the talent Giroux brings to the ice. Sid is an amazing talent and I'm not sure why he garners so much hatred, maybe it's just the cool thing to do, I dunno.

In any event one thing that really stood out to me was when the Pens tied the game at 3-3 the crowd almost immediately got right behind their team with a "CBJ, CBJ, CBJ" chant. That was pretty amazing. I can tell you here in Pittsburgh if that happens against us you certainly wouldn't hear much support right away, just *****ing and moaning. That's something I hope you all take pride in.

Anyway, I was impressed with the city and the arena, but mostly with the crowd as it was amazing. Good luck the rest of the way and if you get past us, will you please knock out the Flyers for us? Seriously, not sure if I mentioned it, but I hate them.

I'm glad to hear about the CBJ chant (I was at a sports bar with no sound for any of the games, just music). It's always nice to hear when visiting fans enjoy and are impressed by Columbus. Thanks for that.

Regarding the Crosby hate, I want to make the point that you'll find in just about any arena, at least judging by HF sentiment. But the more important point is that Crosby ain't no Gretzky.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Regarding the Crosby hate, I want to make the point that you'll find in just about any arena, at least judging by HF sentiment. But the more important point is that Crosby ain't no Gretzky.

To help elaborate, while Crosby is an exceptional player - really, the best in the game today - he's nowhere near the same caliber of dominant that Gretkzy was. Gretzky's dominance alone was an art that people would pay to watch.

The main problem people (including myself) have with Crosby is in the way he carries himself. I see too much throwing the head back when he gets shoved, too much sulking and picking himself up slowly when he gets hit hard and tries to draw a penalty, and just his overall demeanor towards trying to play the victim. I have nothing but respect for his skill and talent, but it's hard to cheer for a guy who acts like he has in the past - especially early in his career. He has started to grow out of it. I think you'll start to see the haters go away as he does.

BJfan

Sep 20, 2008
section 209
I loved the Igloo, for several reasons. I liked the terrible seating arrangements (including sections that ran from the ice, clear up to the top of the dome, as well as bleacher seats that literally hung from the ceiling). I loved the look of the outside. But, it's easy to see why they tore it down (see reasons 1 and 2) ... Some of my more memorable moments in the Igloo were getting lost. On more than one occasion, we would turn a corner, only to end up in a dead-end hallway with no windows, just steel beams and a drop off to the concrete below.

My fondest memory of the Igloo was the last time we went there. An old fashioned Penguins-Flyers rivalry game on a Saturday afternoon. As we wandered to find our seats, we found our way to a stairwell. Not seeing any staff around or any signs pointing us in any direction, we followed it to the bottom - right to the visitors' dressing room. No security, nobody to help you out ... just a friendly group of Broad Street Bullies, who clearly had this happen to them before, and a team staff member who helped us along.

One of those things I'll never forget.

Similiar thing happened to me at Consol not long after it opened. Went to a Sunday afternoon Jackets game and hung around inside consol after the game. After arena was mostly empty we took an elevator down to its lowest level thinking it was street level. Walked out of elevator to find Steve Mason and Ryan Russell eating at a table from some buffet setup. A security guy asked us for our credentials and shuffled us out of there pretty quick when all we produced were crumbled up nosebleed tickets

Last edited:

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
To help elaborate, while Crosby is an exceptional player - really, the best in the game today - he's nowhere near the same caliber of dominant that Gretkzy was. Gretzky's dominance alone was an art that people would pay to watch.

The main problem people (including myself) have with Crosby is in the way he carries himself. I see too much throwing the head back when he gets shoved, too much sulking and picking himself up slowly when he gets hit hard and tries to draw a penalty, and just his overall demeanor towards trying to play the victim. I have nothing but respect for his skill and talent, but it's hard to cheer for a guy who acts like he has in the past - especially early in his career. He has started to grow out of it. I think you'll start to see the haters go away as he does.

The comparison was more based on who was/is the face of the NHL at the time, certainly not a comparison of skill sets or dominance of the game, just to be clear. Also, I understand the complaint about him trying to draw penalties so much, but A LOT of players do it, maybe not to the extent Sid does/did, but they sure do it.

I'll use another Flyer reference (because I hate them). Flyers fans basically started the who "Crosby is a whiner and a diver" thing and if you watched the NYR/PHI game last night you saw Daniel Carcillo touch Giroux in the chest/lower jaw (it looked like) and Giroux reacted as though he had been shot and drew the penalty. Now, had Sid done that he would be a diver, when Giroux does it he's a smart hockey player. So while the label is at least somewhat fair in Sid's case, it's really not what it's been blown up to be.

In any event, I look forward to seeing another game at Nationwide and wish I could come over tonight.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
The comparison was more based on who was/is the face of the NHL at the time, certainly not a comparison of skill sets or dominance of the game, just to be clear. Also, I understand the complaint about him trying to draw penalties so much, but A LOT of players do it, maybe not to the extent Sid does/did, but they sure do it.

I'll use another Flyer reference (because I hate them). Flyers fans basically started the who "Crosby is a whiner and a diver" thing and if you watched the NYR/PHI game last night you saw Daniel Carcillo touch Giroux in the chest/lower jaw (it looked like) and Giroux reacted as though he had been shot and drew the penalty. Now, had Sid done that he would be a diver, when Giroux does it he's a smart hockey player. So while the label is at least somewhat fair in Sid's case, it's really not what it's been blown up to be.

In any event, I look forward to seeing another game at Nationwide and wish I could come over tonight.

Not disagreeing that most players to it, but you nailed it on the head when you said that Crosby does it more. You also have to understand that, from a CBJ standpoint, we don't have any superstar talent ... so we don't have much empathy for teams that do ... especially not when they react in ways like that.

Maybe another thing that turns people off is that NBC crams so many Penguins games down everyone's throats, they are simply tired of seeing Sidney Crosby play ... and that may exacerbate his antics on the ice, as well.

I don't hate him; but I certainly understand why people do.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Not disagreeing that most players to it, but you nailed it on the head when you said that Crosby does it more. You also have to understand that, from a CBJ standpoint, we don't have any superstar talent ... so we don't have much empathy for teams that do ... especially not when they react in ways like that.

Maybe another thing that turns people off is that NBC crams so many Penguins games down everyone's throats, they are simply tired of seeing Sidney Crosby play ... and that may exacerbate his antics on the ice, as well.

I don't hate him; but I certainly understand why people do.

Not to mention that he is on the cover of "The Hockey News" so often that I now call it "The Crosby News".

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Anyone have a red or gray set of home playoff game tickets that were given to STHs in good shape that they want to sell?

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Anyone have a red or gray set of home playoff game tickets that were given to STHs in good shape that they want to sell?

There were different colors of playoff tickets? All mine were Blue.

10259911_10202066036155935_2050882593818510846_n.jpg

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Yeah there were some people that got red or gray tickets and it seemed to be random. I know someone with a full plan that got red and someone with a half that had blue. I'd guess 70% were blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad