Post-Game Talk: Columbus Blue Jackets at New York Rangers 1/31/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Because your failing to accept their "outside the rules" play that has a large contribution to their success.

You make it sound like the Penguins play a special brand of hockey and do tough stuff after the whistle that 29 other teams don't do the in playoffs. Which team doesn't play with intensity when the stakes are high.

You're treating the Penguins more as a tough team instead of a skill and speed team. You're seeing the "outside the rules play" as you call it as having a large contribution to their success but you don't recognize the fact that they're a team that won the cup based on skill and speed. You said something about there not being a team since the Reagan administration that won based on finesse or speed and skill and I'm the one not recognizing the central component to what makes a hockey team successful?

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
You made 3 references praising players who are dirty and cheap as a part of a successful tough hockey team in the last 2 pages.

And I clarified those statements by saying that the dirty players and the board crashing, punishing players are not mutually exclusive.

Not to mention there are many players who posses both qualities as well as the ability to score.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
You make it sound like the Penguins play a special brand of hockey and do tough stuff after the whistle that 29 other teams don't do the in playoffs. Which team doesn't play with intensity when the stakes are high.

You're treating the Penguins more as a tough team instead of a skill and speed team. You're seeing the "outside the rules play" as you call it as having a large contribution to their success but you don't recognize the fact that they're a team that won the cup based on skill and speed. You said something about there not being a team since the Reagan administration that won based on finesse or speed and skill and I'm the one not recognizing the central component to what makes a hockey team successful?

You can argue with the semantics of "pure finesse" all you want, but the point I made was in regard to your post about the Penguins and Sharks being finesse teams.

I countered your point by pointing out that the rougher "finesse" team had more success than the perennial choking San Jose Sharks.

Has anyone ever questioned the Sharks ability to score?

Moreover, who was the best playoff player on the Sharks last year?

Was it a scoring center who looks as if he's homeless. or was it a scoring and hard banging defensemen who looks like a lumber jack?

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
And I clarified those statements by saying that the dirty players and the board crashing, punishing players are not mutually exclusive.

Not to mention there are many players who posses both qualities as well as the ability to score.

It's not mutually exclusive but that's what you specifically pointed out 3 times. Having the ability to score, win board battles, and punish players physically actually doesn't relate to being dirty at all enough though it's not mutually exclusive. Most players that score, win board battles, and play physical aren't dirty players so really, you made mention of dirty players because you want dirty players and not because you want board crashing physically punishing players. It's like saying you want to invite a known drug dealer to your house party and then turn around and say, who said drug dealing is mutually exclusive with banjo playing, board game enthusiasm, and political debates?

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
The people who want toughness are not talking about being physical along the boards and cycling the puck. Like, at all. Paraphrasing, they're talking about violence, cheap shots, playing dirty.

LMAO. Really? I want tough hockey players who can win a friggin board battle. My point to Machine and Rasp earlier was about having Lucic type players that can muck it up and win a board battle. Maybe even a Boyle and Roussel. I don't want 3 Shawn Thornton's and neither does anybody else on here.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
It's not mutually exclusive but that's what you specifically pointed out 3 times. Having the ability to score, win board battles, and punish players physically actually doesn't relate to being dirty at all enough though it's not mutually exclusive. Most players that score, win board battles, and play physical aren't dirty players so really, you made mention of dirty players because you want dirty players and not because you want board crashing physically punishing players. It's like saying you want to invite a known drug dealer to your house party and then turn around and say, who said drug dealing is mutually exclusive with banjo playing, board game enthusiasm, and political debates?

Jesus Christ this topic is derailing.

I'll sum this up, because I need to eat.

I pointed out that a team can gain possession by playing hard nosed hockey as well as or in my opinion even petter than pure technical "possession".

Moreover, I feel that this is something RangersTown® has failed to address for a long, long time.

Furthermore, the majority of teams that go deep play an extremely rough form of hockey that consists of a mix of skill, punishing on the boards, and Mark Messier/Gordie Howe style "outside the rules" play.

The MSG brass can chide lunch pal hockey as much as they want, but tough **** that's life. No cup for us.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
You can argue with the semantics of "pure finesse" all you want, but the point I made was in regard to your post about the Penguins and Sharks being finesse teams.

I countered your point by pointing out that the rougher "finesse" team had more success than the perennial choking San Jose Sharks.

Has anyone ever questioned the Sharks ability to score?

Moreover, who was the best playoff player on the Sharks last year?

Was it a scoring center who looks as if he's homeless. or was it a scoring and hard banging defensemen who looks like a lumber jack?

Finesse to me is speed and skill. You made the semantic argument of "pure finesse" first if I recall. I called the Penguins a finesse team and you disagreed by saying they're not a "pure finesse" team.

Well, you started by saying no finesse team has done well since the Reagan administration. I then pointed out that you're wrong since both the sharks and Pens last year were finesse teams. So you sidetracked and said, well, the tougher finesse team won so it's about toughness and not finesse.

Are you equating Brent Burn's offensive skills, instincts and abilities to his lumberjack image?

I'll counter that with Kevin Klein incompetence offensively and defensively despite the fact that he looks like a lumber jack as well and has a thor icelandic hair style going.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Finesse to me is speed and skill. You made the semantic argument of "pure finesse" first if I recall. I called the Penguins a finesse team and you disagreed by saying they're not a "pure finesse" team.

Well, you started by saying no finesse team has done well since the Reagan administration. I then pointed out that you're wrong since both the sharks and Pens last year were finesse teams. So you sidetracked and said, well, the tougher finesse team won so it's about toughness and not finesse.

Are you equating Brent Burn's offensive skills, instincts and abilities to his lumberjack image?

I'll counter that with Kevin Klein incompetence offensively and defensively despite the fact that he looks like a lumber jack as well and has a thor icelandic hair style going.

Please see above.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Career average shot distance

Rick Nash - 29.32
Wayne Simmonds - 28.34
League average - 34.03

But you know, Perimeter Rick or whatever.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
LMAO. Really? I want tough hockey players who can win a friggin board battle. My point to Machine and Rasp earlier was about having Lucic type players that can muck it up and win a board battle. Maybe even a Boyle and Roussel. I don't want 3 Shawn Thornton's and neither does anybody else on here.

I know what you're saying. No one is saying y'all want 3 shawn thorntons but the back peddling on wanting toughness for fighting, defending the team's pride, and retaliating and dressing it up as wanting a possession board battle team is a bit too generous.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I know what you're saying. No one is saying y'all want 3 shawn thorntons but the back peddling on wanting toughness for fighting, defending the team's pride, and retaliating and dressing it up as wanting a possession board battle team is a bit too generous.

See, the thing is, if you acquire a Boyle and Roussel or either or, you are killing two major birds with one stone. They can actually play hockey and fight. That right there is what I will take. I am waiting for the PO games where the nz is trapped and clogged up and you hear AV postgame after they get shutout spew his default garbage about how to break it but to no avail.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Career average shot distance

Rick Nash - 29.32
Wayne Simmonds - 28.34
League average - 34.03

But you know, Perimeter Rick or whatever.

e127dbe0-d82a-11e5-a44c-37f2ded2e1b9_CRyZSueUkAEeDez.jpg

Did anyone ever say Rick Nash doesn't play well and score a ton in the regular season?

I know you love hockey, and I believe you are a smart guy, but do you ever answer the actual ****ing question that's being asked?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
e127dbe0-d82a-11e5-a44c-37f2ded2e1b9_CRyZSueUkAEeDez.jpg

Did anyone ever say Rick Nash doesn't play well and score a ton in the regular season?

I know you love hockey, and I believe you are a smart guy, but do you ever answer the actual ****ing question that's being asked?

Regular season - 29.33 on 19.3 attempts per 60
Playoffs - 29.40 on 19.7 attempts per 60

Oh look they're identical

OKdG401.png

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
See, the thing is, if you acquire a Boyle and Roussel or either or, you are killing two major birds with one stone. They can actually play hockey and fight. That right there is what I will take. I am waiting for the PO games where the nz is trapped and clogged up and you hear AV postgame after they get shutout spew his default garbage about how to break it but to no avail.

I think this is something everyone can agree on. What I'm saying is that lots of posters will call for more toughness and size in situations where it's about fighting and retaliating. Lots of calls for someone that can fight and answer the call so our team isn't "pushed around/disrespected in the league/the laughing stock of the league/softest team in the league" but not as much of wanting to acquire a Roussel or a Simmonds type player in 90% of the discussions. Size and toughness is obviously good when it comes with speed and skill. There's the camp that's in no rush to prioritize size and toughness. There's the camp that prioritizes it high and wants useful ones. Then there's the camp that just wants retaliation and goonery regardless of their hockey skills or the team's overall chances at success.

Deleted member 23124

One would think that after the disastrous signings of Cashmere and Boogaard, most fans would see the futility of having someone who can only fight. It's a waste of a roster spot and it's 99.9% certain that player will not be on the ice when the chippy stuff is happening.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Hopefully, after tomorrow's game, we'll have our first 40 point scorer.

5 point outing for Kreider would be nice :naughty:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

Yes really.

Because the only time this board whines about our lack of toughness is when we lose in the playoffs or don't score a goal. The only time. Just call it what it is, you (not literally you) want players that hit hard and sometimes fight. You don't need to masquerade it as a systems upgrade, because big and heavy teams are dead as **** and not coming back. LA has regressed every year since 2014 and they were the only truly heavy team to win anything in years.

You want a Lucic? Great, so do I. Lucic is a great hockey player. The vast majority of the toughness fixes we all want are not. Or are plainly mediocre and are romanticized for being 6'2"+ and over 200 pounds. This team can't cycle because d-men can't make quick decisions with the puck on their stick and because they love tic-tac-toe passes over taking a damn shot. A team of 6'4" neanderthals isn't fixing it.

OKdG401.png

Can't blame that sect, they live in some weird alternate reality where facts aren't any fun

Fighting is worthless so that's a bird not even worth killing.

And what exactly are Roussel and Boyle doing to solve that we can't get through the neutral zone?

Last edited:

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013

OKdG401.png

Something here is deceiving me. Your stats look like they're decent but he looks like he's a perimeter guy all post season

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
One things for sure he's terribad at scoring goals in playoffs perimeter or not. 3 goals in 25 games in 2014 ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad