Post-Game Talk: Columbus Blue Jackets at New York Rangers 1/31/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Why not both.jpg?

And why is (a big reason) Bergeron the GOAT?elite ability to win puck battles....

Let's not move the goal posts to puck battles. The argument is toughness. The word "violence" was used.

We have a top five player in the world at winning puck battles but he's lazy and doesn't hit enough.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The "you win hockey games by beating people up" argument no longer deserves a retort.

who said beating people up???
so being physical along the boards and size have nothing to do with possession in the o zone? doesn't CK posses both? i don't care if he fights or not but i do care that he combines speed, Strength and physicality.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
so being physical along the boards and size have nothing to do with possession in the o zone? doesn't CK posses both? i don't care if he fights or not but i do care that he combines speed, Strength and physicality.

The people who want toughness are not talking about being physical along the boards and cycling the puck. Like, at all. Paraphrasing, they're talking about violence, cheap shots, playing dirty.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The people who want toughness are not talking about being physical along the boards and cycling the puck. Like, at all. Paraphrasing, they're talking about violence, cheap shots, playing dirty.

Lol u can't be serious

People want someone who can bang bodies and turn some pucks over on the forecheck and win some battles down low... Not what u just said

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Really good thing Zucc stood up for himself to negate the power play the Rangers would've had. Not like CBJ scored on the ensuing 4v4 or anything.

On the brightside, I bet no one ever checks Zuccarello again.

I totally agree. Don't people realize all Stanley Cup champions ***** themselves to the cup? There is no place in hockey for a player to stand up for himself. I never see Crosby or Malkin standing up for themselves or anyone on Pitt standing up for them. They know to to win the cup they need to behave like they are sitting behind a computer watching a game like I often do. I have coached many local championship teams. I always tell my guys just turn the other cheek or say excuse me if a player gives them a cheap shot. :D

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I totally agree. Don't people realize all Stanley Cup champions ***** themselves to the cup? There is no place in this hockey for a player to stand up for himself. I never see Crosby or Malkin standing up for themselves or anyone on Pitt standing up for them. They know to to win the cup they need to behave like they are sitting behind a computer watching a game. I have coached many local champion teams. I always tell my guys just turn the other cheek or say excuse me if a player gives them a cheap shot.

:laugh:

This sounds like something that I wrote.

Well played Nicky!

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
These are the goals that go in on Hank as well. Ive lost count of how many times Hank has taken abuse on these boards for allowing a breakaway goal or stupid deflections.

Can we stop with the double standards.

Nope. When it comes to the expectations of Hank of the NYR fanbase it's the equivalent of an upper class teenage brat. Anything less than perfect is a failure . I call it the Lundqvist syndrome. They've been used to world class goaltending for a decade. He's expected to mask all the flaws of the franchise. He hasn't for half a season, so let's buy him out.

Please buy him out. He deserves it.

Only in New York is a work horse trait considered a flaw. The league had a break. Are you paying attention?

Disclaimer: don't feel affected by my general statements if you don't have to, but my point is, over the last 10 years, the whining over Hank's performance compared to actual performance has been laughable. Every year a long thread of "what's wrong with Lundqvist?" when he can't mask the glaring flaws of the team the entire season.

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I totally agree. Don't people realize all Stanley Cup champions ***** themselves to the cup? There is no place in hockey for a player to stand up for himself. I never see Crosby or Malkin standing up for themselves or anyone on Pitt standing up for them. They know to to win the cup they need to behave like they are sitting behind a computer watching a game like I often do. I have coached many local championship teams. I always tell my guys just turn the other cheek or say excuse me if a player gives them a cheap shot. :D

Good players and smart teams know there is a time and a place for everything. Zucc let his emotions get the better of him there. Normally he's smarter than that. Last night he wasn't, and the Rangers paid for it.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Lol u can't be serious

People want someone who can bang bodies and turn some pucks over on the forecheck and win some battles down low... Not what u just said

Nothing is framed in terms of forecheck and board play. Everything is about toughness and having someone that will drop the gloves. Who was that that wanted someone to fight and then when Miller fought, he complained Miller shouldn't bother with fighting because he's incapable of winning a fight? That's wanting forecheck? Some people want physical players that can work the cycle but there are tons of posters that just wants rough and tumble hockey. Just last page, something was said about the Penguins knowing how to play dirty when the playoffs come around. That's not forecheck and win some battles down low. That's wanting a tough team for the sake of toughness unless cheap shots and flying elbows somehow help with possession and board battles.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Nothing is framed in terms of forecheck and board play. Everything is about toughness and having someone that will drop the gloves. Who was that that wanted someone to fight and then when Miller fought, he complained Miller shouldn't bother with fighting because he's incapable of winning a fight? That's wanting forecheck? Some people want physical players that can work the cycle but there are tons of posters that just wants rough and tumble hockey. Just last page, something was said about the Penguins knowing how to play dirty when the playoffs come around. That's not forecheck and win some battles down low. That's wanting a tough team for the sake of toughness unless cheap shots and flying elbows somehow help with possession and board battles.

They do. Just like the Kings.

I just wish for once more in my lifetime that the Blueshirts stopped trying to be broadway, and just mixed skill with some bad ass play.

The did it once in 94.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Good players and smart teams know there is a time and a place for everything. Zucc let his emotions get the better of him there. Normally he's smarter than that. Last night he wasn't, and the Rangers paid for it.

I totally agree. Matching minor penalties in the second period lost this game for the Rangers.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I just wish for once more in my lifetime that the Blueshirts stopped trying to be broadway, and just mixed skill with some bad ass play.

The did it once in 94.

In the 70's the Flyers ran all over the Rangers. That finally changed in 79. The Rangers stood up and refused to be pushed around. They also made it to the cup that season.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Usually negating a power play is a smart move for the Rangers. Hopefully, the new CBA will take a note from football and add a decline option, and then we can all meet for the parade.

That is what was funny about the game thread. If we got the PP people would moan about it and when we ended up at even strength people still complained. I guess we can add Ranger fans complaining to death and taxes lol :)

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
Was actually at this game. First time seeing a Rangers game at MSG in person.

Needless to say, my presence must have been a bad omen or something....

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

I love how people are suddenly pretending to care about possession, but as soon as the numbers don't fit one's paradigms, it'll be thrown out again.

Hell, it's thrown out now when people try to talk about the defense. It's not because we possibly have one top 4 defenseman on the roster. It's because the forwards aren't big and nasty enough or something.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011

The did it once in 94.

I'm not disputing how the Penguins play during the playoffs. You and the other poster said your main reason for wanting toughness is largely for winning battles down low and possessing the puck. Yet it always goes back to playing a style of game that abuses opponent physically and bullies them for the sake of the physicality. How does playing dirty and upping their "bad ass play" impact possession or battles down low? You made the point that the Tanner Glass jokes are getting old but most of the posts about wanting toughness boils down to fighting, standing up for teammates or self, and being able to punish opponents physically legally or with dirty cheap shots.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Was actually at this game. First time seeing a Rangers game at MSG in person.

Needless to say, my presence must have been a bad omen or something....

Is this Aufheben's alt account?

Usually when he says he's going to the game, the Rangers decide to take a giant upper decker between 7th and 8th.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I totally agree. Matching minor penalties in the second period lost this game for the Rangers.

(I'm assuming you're being sarcastic in this post so I am going to respond as that is the case, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

I never said that Zucc taking that matching minor penalty lost the Rangers the game. What I did say is that it negated what would've been a Rangers power play in a game where they were down 2-0. What I did say is that CBJ made the Rangers pay for Zucc's minor penalty.

Hindsight is 20-20, but realizing the effect of a lost power play in a game where you're doing 2-0 doesn't really require 20-20 vision into the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad