Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I wish Haynes all the best for his future, believe he's a fine human being and I like to say he wasn't as big a disaster as McNab is but it's a good thing he finally left.

I'd love Moser to replace Haynes but I would be fine with somebody new as well. I would be even finer with two new people so McNab can drink and ramble at home.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I've always found it fascinating how many people (not just here, mind you) had such an issue with Haynes' homerism. I mean it's not like the guy broadcasts nationally, he's employed by KSE, a degree of homerism (however large or small) should just be expected when you're not only employed by a regional sports network, but one that is owned and operated by the owner of the team you're covering.

I personally always enjoyed Haynes' PBP voice--I found it rather nice (of course I grew up with John Kelly and was mortified for the 20 games we had with Doug McLeod as his replacement).

I don't know--I guess I've never been sure what people expected in that regard. I wish Haynes nothing but the best going forward.

I will say that for every person who expressed displeasure at Haynes' homerism, if you want Moser you're asking for waaaay more of that (based on his radio calling), that even if he toned it down for TV PBP, he'd be more of a homer than Haynes was.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Is this who you think they might look at or one you prefer?
A bit of both. I think Plagens will throw his name in the ring, and he is good enough and has some history with the organization for the role.

Reactions: Murzu

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Can't say I'm upset about Mike leaving. He always came across as nice guy but his inability to focus on the game at hand would drive me nuts. He was much, much better this past season though about actually doing a little play-by-play most games. Huge improvement over previous seasons but not enough for me to wish he was still going to be around.

I would like someone a little more business like calling the game. And if McNab sticks around, I'm hoping whoever it is will have the ability to keep Peter on track. Pete can be a wonderful add to the game but he needs to have his reigns held fairly tightly.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Haynes was not a great PBP announcer, but it wasn't because of his homerism. All broadcast teams are homers, and I much prefer the brand of bias of Haynes and McNab over something like what the Bruins do.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I know it's kinda tongue in cheek but a PBP guy throwing up a picture of his awards to get a job isn't a great look IMO. It's not about him, it's about the team he's covering.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I know it's kinda tongue in cheek but a PBP guy throwing up a picture of his awards to get a job isn't a great look IMO. It's not about him, it's about the team he's covering.

That doesn't bother me. Strangis wouldn't have been so popular with Stars fans if he and Razor were all about themselves. I mean, c'mon, it's a color copy of an old photo taped to cardboard with RESUME scrawled at the top. I don't think there's a ton of ego on display there. He earned those awards. Strangis and Reaugh were one of the few broadcast teams to be simulcast. If they got him, hey, I'd be all for it. Plagens is a very interesting name as well.

Ideally I'd like for someone to join Moser in the booth to do radio and for them to find someone new to join McNab. They have an opportunity to really right the ship after so many years of cheapskate moves (I'm still really steamed at the move to take them off 1043 The Fan and move to a ridiculously weak station that barely made it out of the Denver Metro area). They don't need to "promote" Moser like they did with Haynes.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Do we know why he left yet? Health reasons? I wouldn't care if it's speculation, I am just really curious why he would leave out of nowhere?

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Strangis is more than qualified, but it'd be weird to have a division rival's old PBP guy. I mean, if he'd only had the job for a few seasons or something, but 25 years is a lot of history.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
So listening to the latest BSN podcast, Dater says he has heard some names, he can't name any right now but they are pretty big names. Says the PxP job for the Avs has drum up some pretty heavy interest and people are willing to move to Denver for the job.

Reactions: BoxOfChocolates

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
So listening to the latest BSN podcast, Dater says he has heard some names, he can't name any right now but they are pretty big names. Says the PxP job for the Avs has drum up some pretty heavy interest and people are willing to move to Denver for the job.

Gary Thorne! Doc Emerick! A man can dream.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Plagens or Strangis (who was my favorite already) would be great.

Plagens taste in music is also something to like. Remember having convos with him on twitter about that during the LEM years.

member 116861

Doug Plagens is a good dude! Talked to him for a bit and he was incredibly nice.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Interesting. I wouldn't expect them to invest in an (expensive) big name, but if they're looking, maybe they'll buck tradition and get a veteran in there, which would be awesome.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Man, I'll miss Haynes. I found him funny in an indirect way because he wasn't trying to be funny. His pure detest for the Red Wings and Wild will be missed. We'll also never be able to hear "THEYDIDITTHEYDIDITTHEYDIDIT!" when the Avs tie the game late in the 3rd with the goalie pulled. He seemed to celebrate big hits like a fan, usually with an "OOOOOHHHHHHH WHAT A HIT".

I hope whoever they bring in has enthusiasm for the job. Grass isn't always greener on the other side. I watch Oilers games all the time and Kevin Quinn legitimately sounds like he's calling an amateur chess match with his lack of enthusiasm. Same goes for national broadcasts featuring Jim Hughson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad