Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Was wondering who the replacement could be. Never even thought of Moser moving from radio. Please. Please do that.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Kinda bummed. Hayes wasn’t the best but he was the voice of the Avs for most of my hockey watching career.

My money is on Moser getting the job. I’m sure he’ll tone it down in the new position though.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
One thing that I couldn't stand about Haynes was wayyyy too often they were rambling or going OT while the puck was in play. Hopefully the new guy will be more incline to describe what's happening on the ice at all time. Keep your stories, anecdotes and interviews in between the plays please. That's good for Lauren too, when the puck drops it's time to shut up.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
One thing that I couldn't stand about Haynes was wayyyy too often they were rambling or going OT while the puck was in play. Hopefully the new guy will be more incline to describe what's happening on the ice at all time. Keep your stories, anecdotes and interviews in between the plays please. That's good for Lauren too, when the puck drops it's time to shut up.

Nah, it was part of his charm.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
John Kelly (sportscaster) - Wikipedia

Probably settled down pretty good in St. Louis at this point, so doubtful he'd come back to Colorado :dunno:
Oh man, what I wouldn't give to hear "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" again. It always gives me a bit of heartache to hear Blues broadcasts to this day.

If this really was unexpected by the Avs, it may be a while before they announce a replacement. Even if they plan to go in-house again, they'll probably do their due diligence about it.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Hopefully Mcnab follows him, dude is absolutely brutal. Rycroft easily did a better job at the same role. Haynes gone is great news if he is replaced by someone good. However, if someone like Moser gets the job the Avs feed will be torture with him and Mcnab rambling endlessly.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Interesting.
Hoping they take someone from outside the organization for this, and not John Kelly.
Might be a good idea to change the entire line-up now.
Rycroft is too homery for me on the broadcast and plays it too much off the sleeve (during play, not in studio) so I hope he is not promoted to the "analyst" role.

Otherwise having McNab for one season more might not be the worst if he and the new guy can work well together.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So I guess I'm kind of surprised by some of the comments in here about what they want and who they don't want etc.

Why is everyone against someone who is a homer? I personally want a homer, I tune into the Avs broadcast to listen to someone who is pro Avs. Not someone who is kind of in the middle and gets excited when the other team scores. That's lame, and I don't give a shit when they score. That's why I want Moser, that guy lives and breathes Avs, and would be a ton of fun to listen to.

Also what's wrong with Kelly? He is a million times better than Haynes ever was. I would gladly take him back. If they were to decide to go that route.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I like just about everyone except Rycroft personally. Not that Rycroft is bad but just doesn't really have a TV/Radio voice IMO.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
First and foremost I say we re-title this thread considering it has evolve beyond us (including me) just bitchin about Avs media. Now we're talking about the future and posting articles in here.

Second, I just saw the news about Haynes. I am not sure how I feel about this because it potentially opens a spot to Moser and Mike was a good human being. I also believed he had passion for the Avs and even though he wasn't a hockey guy growing up, he put everything in his job and I commend him for that. Now having said that, I am also beyond ecstatic that he's gone. Again, he wasn't a hockey guy and it clearly showed in the end during his broadcasts. Very simple questions and a very simple frame of mind when it came to hockey who more often than not encouraged McNab's ramblings. He wasn't too bad when it came to the Europe Series, but you need a class A analyst to keep Mike in line and vice-versa with McNab - we have(ad) neither of these.

Curious, do we know the reason why Haynes decided to resign? I know he had medical problems in the past, but seemed like he was in good health since that scare.

Haynes and Moser both have pros and cons to each other, Moser actually announces the game and tends to go over the top making easy saves into Game 7 heroics. It's not bad, but you definitely get burnt out from him. Moreover, he is a complete tool and definitely is a bigger homer than one you would want even for a home broadcast. However he has the hockey knowledge you want for a PBP, while Haynes was a more genuine person. For the record I have no insider information that Moser will replace him, but if you consider Kroenke's business tactics of seniority, Moser will be the guy and they just replace the vacant position in radio.

If I had a choice, the best PBP who isn't with an NHL club would easily be R.J. Broadhead from the CHL Sportsnet games. If I was the owner for an expansion team I hire him within seconds.

Here are some of his highlights

He might not bring the excitement, but he is very consistent and level-headed.
Could Conor McGahey be coming back?
Perhaps I missed something since I wasn't here for the past month, but he was always employed by the Avs. He just got a second job with Vegas and travelled back between cities. I do know he also does PBP for DU, but that's just college for like three games in 6 months.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I wouldn't mind Moser. I think he'll tone it down with the histrionics if he made the move from radio to TV. They're different mediums and demand different styles of commentary. Also, he always had to do the radio broadcasts solo with no color guy, so I think having somebody else in the booth would let him focus more on the PBP side without having to do double duty.

And really, he's no more of a homer than Haynes was. You don't want a neutral guy doing a home broadcast, everybody in the league is biased to some degree, it's basically a job requirement. As long as they're not bitching about the refs or dragging on the other team the whole time it's perfectly fine.

In any case, it'll probably be a while before we know. It doesn't look like Kroenke had a clue this was coming considering that no announcement from the team has been made yet.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I thought Peter McNab may be close to retirement due to Altitude working Mark Rycroft in the booth so often.

I'm disappointed by this new to be honest. Haynes was a little over the top sometimes but he and McNab had great rapport, and I love McNab.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Surprised by all the posts here thinking that analysts can just randomly become PBP guys. You normally go to school to become a PBP and need a lot of experience. Nobody has that experience in the Avs (except Connor and Moser) and McNab has only been an analyst for his entire career.

Also what's wrong with Kelly? He is a million times better than Haynes ever was. I would gladly take him back. If they were to decide to go that route.
Kelly left the Avs because he's from Missouri and was always a Blue fan, in a way he's not coming back since he has his dream job. Money speaks, but hard to see Avs go down the route again.

kchan9

Oct 7, 2010
Haynes was pretty good all aspect but I couldn't stand how he'd say things to jinx the Avs. I didn't even mind his PBP where he rambles off with McNabb but the comment jinx got to me

Reactions: CobraAcesS

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Surprised by all the posts here thinking that analysts can just randomly become PBP guys. You normally go to school to become a PBP and need a lot of experience. Nobody has that experience in the Avs (except Connor and Moser) and McNab has only been an analyst for his entire career.

Kelly left the Avs because he's from Missouri and was always a Blue fan, in a way he's not coming back since he has his dream job. Money speaks, but hard to see Avs go down the route again.
Oh I agree on Kelly. But there were people in this thread that were against bringing him in. And if he was willing, I would be all for it.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
First and foremost I say we re-title this thread considering it has evolve beyond us (including me) just *****in about Avs media. Now we're talking about the future and posting articles in here.

Done

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I didn't realize people had such strong feelings about Moser. I don't listen to games on the radio so the only time I really hear him is on highlights and some of the videos on the Avs site and I always thought he did a good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad