Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Oh I agree on Kelly. But there were people in this thread that were against bringing him in. And if he was willing, I would be all for it.

I just do not like his voice.
It is very simple. I also have no attachment to him as I did not start watching US broadcasts of hockey until 08-09.

I would love to have Ralph Strangis (the old Stars commentator) in as he is by far my favorite one, but I do not think that is a realistic option.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
No Moser please, he is worse than Haynes. Get someone good. Wonder if Gary Thorne would take the job. I think he likes the Avs too, he is kind of a fan of the team going back to the old days.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I liked Haynes on a personal level, but whether him leaving is good or bad news is entirely dependent on who replaces him. I prefer a much more professional approach to play by play, and Haynes was certainly not professional in his approach. I think now would be the time to replace McNab too and go with new guy with Rycroft. Maybe that's Moser - I'm not too familiar with him but he seems to have a good voice at least.

As for the homer issue, I definitely think on a team-owned broadcast the perspective should be from the Avalanche, and with that comes some homerism. But at the same time I want my broadcasters to be able to talk intelligently about the other team and report honestly what's happening on the ice even if what's happening is the Avs are playing horribly. Maybe that's too much to ask, but a change in PBP guy can bring about that kind of thing if it's the right guy on the mic.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Moser doesn't bother me in the slightest. What bothers me is that when Leschyshyn stepped down as the color commentator KSE went cheap and just left both Avs and Nuggets broadcasts be solo gigs. Both of them could use someone adding insight. That said, I have to listen to Avs games a lot on the radio and Moser is very good painting a picture as to what's going on, he also doesn't hesitate to call the team out when they're not cuttin' it on a given night.

I never loved Haynes. I thought he was decent on the radio and a good balance for the even-keeled and knowledgeable Norm Jones, that balance went straight out the window when they put him on the TV next to Peter McNab. I absolutely loved the Kelly/McNab days, the two of them clicked very well. Mind you, I was fine watching Avs games on Altitude all these years, but always felt that it could be much better. Of course this is the same network that once started with saran wrap in place of plexiglass on their soundstage so I shouldn't be surprised.

I hope they take the time and get someone good (also offer up some decent pay for the gig). The rest of the Avalanche broadcast team should stay the same IMO.

Reactions: McMetal

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
As for the homer issue, I definitely think on a team-owned broadcast the perspective should be from the Avalanche, and with that comes some homerism.
Part of that complaint stemmed from the since of entitlement from "traditional" and Canadian markets ho expected to have their ass kissed constantly and have no idea their media is actually pretty biased.

Kind of like when the Cornhuskers would visit CU and Bugeaters would be pissed that Boulder didn't set aside money in their budget to have rose pedals thrown at their feet.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Part of that complaint stemmed from the since of entitlement from "traditional" and Canadian markets ho expected to have their ass kissed constantly and have no idea their media is actually pretty biased.
What does that even mean?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't have a problem with Moser. I like the fact that he calls the game with energy and enthusiasm. Hockey is an exciting sport, and while I can see why somebody would find his breathless style exhausting, I enjoy it when the energy of the PBP matches the energy of the game.

That said, radio is a different medium, and I expect that if he gets the promotion to TV, he will change his style a little bit to fit. He's certainly the most qualified person in the org to be doing it if they do promote from within.

Reactions: klozge

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Ever since "Jimmothy Timmothy" Mose has a place in my heart. Bring him on and give him a chance i say. If it's not working think about a replacement for the 19/20 season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Kinda bummed. Hayes wasn’t the best but he was the voice of the Avs for most of my hockey watching career.

My money is on Moser getting the job. I’m sure he’ll tone it down in the new position though.

Exactly. Even if you don't prefer his PBP style, he was with the team since day 1 and that added a lot of perspective to his commentary. Even though the focus should be on this new Avalanche era, the history of those Cup teams is still incredible important.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Moser constantly interrupted McNabb when McNabb tried to talk the few times I heard them do the radio together. It will be funny if those two do the TV now and at the same time they'll be two of the worst commentators in the NHL.

Just bring new people please

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Moser constantly interrupted McNabb when McNabb tried to talk the few times I heard them do the radio together. It will be funny if those two do the TV now and at the same time they'll be two of the worst commentators in the NHL.

Just bring new people please

Not that I'm really on-board for a Moser/McNab TV team, but I think that's mostly because Moser is used to filling downtime by himself. It'd be hard for anyone to suddenly switch gears. Usually when broadcast team is first put together they do a bunch of rehearsal time beforehand.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
There was the announcer that did play by play for maybe 10 games or so and then he got replaced. I think Haynes may have replaced him. He'd have sayings like "he got bushwacked". Now, that guy was truly horrible and made Kelly, Haynes, Moser, McNabb, whomever look like great alternatives.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I expected McNab to go, especially with how Altitude was positioning Liles and Rycroft. Haynes leaving is out of left field. But good riddance.
I never hated the guy, it was more that I tolerated him. However, Moser is no improvement. That guy annoys the crap out of me, and has ever since he took over the radio stuff. He's gotten somewhat better than when he started, but he's still prone to bouts of screaming that are hardly ever appropriate. And while I'd expect an Altitude broadcaster to have some homer in him, I'd prefer if it were more honest and subdued than Moser's version. I don't want to hear whining from the booth unless it is blatantly merited.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Not that I'm really on-board for a Moser/McNab TV team, but I think that's mostly because Moser is used to filling downtime by himself. It'd be hard for anyone to suddenly switch gears. Usually when broadcast team is first put together they do a bunch of rehearsal time beforehand.

I had the exact same thought. Moser is a professional. I think he'd make the needed adjustments to where it wouldn't be unbearable.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
FTR I thought Haynes was kind of a jerk whenever he did the call-in show on the radio back when. I only called in once and both he and Norm were perfectly fine so I can't speak from direct experience but I remember him going off on people on a couple occasions, and it wasn't warranted at all.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
FTR I thought Haynes was kind of a jerk whenever he did the call-in show on the radio back when. I only called in once and both he and Norm were perfectly fine so I can't speak from direct experience but I remember him going off on people on a couple occasions, and it wasn't warranted at all.

That seems like a playbook tactic for plenty of radio stations regardless of the content lol.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That seems like a playbook tactic for plenty of radio stations regardless of the content lol.

Well, to be clear this wasn't some shock-jock bullshit. Moser did most postgame talk segments on The Fan back then and he was always super-nice. Mike and Sandy had their talk show and could be gruff at times but never called people morons on-air. Haynes did.

I don't want to make a big deal of things because that was a very, very long time ago, but because of those interactions I just had a less-than-stellar view of Mike Haynes all these years. I don't pretend that everyone working in sports is this great stand-up human being, but it's just one more reason I'm really not super-sad to see him go, but again, prefacing that by hoping this was not in any way influenced by any sort of health issue.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Well, to be clear this wasn't some shock-jock bull****. Moser did most postgame talk segments on The Fan back then and he was always super-nice. Mike and Sandy had their talk show and could be gruff at times but never called people morons on-air. Haynes did.

I don't want to make a big deal of things because that was a very, very long time ago, but because of those interactions I just had a less-than-stellar view of Mike Haynes all these years. I don't pretend that everyone working in sports is this great stand-up human being, but it's just one more reason I'm really not super-sad to see him go, but again, prefacing that by hoping this was not in any way influenced by any sort of health issue.

I find it funny Haynes did that, because I never felt like he was all that intelligent when it came to analyzing the game either. I am personally not sad to see him go. He always seemed very superficial, but wrapped in a nostalgic history obviously.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I find it funny Haynes did that, because I never felt like he was all that intelligent when it came to analyzing the game either. I am personally not sad to see him go either. He always seemed very superficial, but wrapped in a nostalgic history obviously.

Y'know...I don't disagree with any of that.

I'm hoping this was an amicable parting and that Haynes gets another gig somewhere else. But given the rather sudden nature of this, I just can't help but think that it wasn't, and that we might be hearing more in due time. I don't want to speculate at all beyond that.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think if this had been planned, they would have announced it right away at the same time as his replacement. As far as I know, the Avs haven't breathed a word about this officially. That says to me they were caught off guard.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think if this had been planned, they would have announced it right away at the same time as his replacement. As far as I know, the Avs haven't breathed a word about this officially. That says to me they were caught off guard.

Either we were all wrong (about McNabb) and they knew it, and were grooming Ryker for a bigger role. Or they are now staring down the barrel at loosing both guys lol. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Sad for Haynes but hopefully its a good decision for him.

Who was that oaf we had for a few months between when Kelly left for St-Louis and before they promoted Haynes because he was so horrible??? I think I've purged his name from my memory banks.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Iced from Avalanche TV job, McLeod cools his heels – The Denver Post

Didn't realize he made it 20 games. Seriously, I thought it was ONE.

I remember Sandy Clough and Mike Evans making fun of him and how he kept reacting to everything McNab would say with overly emphatic oohs and aahs :laugh: .

8122527.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad