NCAA: College Football 2023 Off-season News and Notes: the Next Great Realignment

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
The cheese burgers are all level 2 minor violations

Nothing burger
From the article:

The Michigan infractions case is related to impermissible on and off-campus recruiting during the COVID-19 dead period and impermissible coaching activities — not a cheeseburger,” said Derrick Crawford, NCAA vice president, hearing operations. “It is not uncommon for the [Committee on Infractions] to seek clarification on key facts prior to accepting. ... If the involved parties cannot resolve a case through the negotiated resolution process, it may proceed to a hearing, but the committee believes cooperation is the best avenue to quickly resolve issues.”

The case is centered on alleged Level II NCAA violations by Harbaugh and his staff that include meeting with recruits during a so-called dead period, watching workouts on Zoom and having too many analysts participate in on-field practice coaching. Each of those is considered a minor-to-moderate violation that would normally result in limited penalties.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The audience could easily be larger at night. After all, the highest-rated primetime program on network TV the past few years has been a presentation of American football games.
It’s already the highest rated game of the regular season. Other than, possibly, an SEC top 5 matchup. Definitely if it’s an Iron Bowl, and that’s not player at night either.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
The audience could easily be larger at night. After all, the highest-rated primetime program on network TV the past few years has been a presentation of American football games.

Which is Sunday night football, an NFL product. The largest crowd for a 7:30-8:00 college game last year was Ohio St/Notre Dame which did 10.5mil in the first week of the season. Besides, I have no idea where you live, but in Ohio and Michigan on thanksgiving weekend it’s largely grey sky skies and gets dark outside by 5:30 in the evening. No one wants a prime time kick other than you.

Also, almost all of the most watched games sans the conference championship games and the outlier of tOSU/ND either started at 12 or 3:30.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The NFL is different than everyone else. Normal rules and trends do not apply.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Which is Sunday night football, an NFL product. The largest crowd for a 7:30-8:00 college game last year was Ohio St/Notre Dame which did 10.5mil in the first week of the season. Besides, I have no idea where you live, but in Ohio and Michigan on thanksgiving weekend it’s largely grey sky skies and gets dark outside by 5:30 in the evening. No one wants a prime time kick other than you.

Also, almost all of the most watched games sans the conference championship games and the outlier of tOSU/ND either started at 12 or 3:30.
I do live in Ohio, but I've been saying for years that cold weather football is real football. And real fans would want UM-OSU at night.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
There are also certain rivalries that should be moved to NFL stadiums that are larger and have better amenities than either school's home stadium:

California-Stanford: Levi's Stadium
Indiana-Purdue: Lucas Oil Stadium
Maryland-Rutgers: Lincoln Financial Field (to serve basically as a public school version of Army-Navy, which is often played there)
UCLA-USC: SoFi Stadium

For each of these games, ticket sales would be split 50/50 between the schools, with each schools' fans divided along the 50-yard line a la Oklahoma/Texas.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There are also certain rivalries that should be moved to NFL stadiums that are larger and have better amenities than either school's home stadium:

California-Stanford: Levi's Stadium
Indiana-Purdue: Lucas Oil Stadium
Maryland-Rutgers: Lincoln Financial Field (to serve basically as a public school version of Army-Navy, which is often played there)
UCLA-USC: SoFi Stadium

For each of these games, ticket sales would be split 50/50 between the schools, with each schools' fans divided along the 50-yard line a la Oklahoma/Texas.
Why would Maryland and Rutgers play in Philadelphia? Nobody gives an ounce of a shit about those teams even on their own campuses much less here.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
With the Big 12 to be at 16 teams starting next year, I think ESPN and Fox should sub-license some of the inventory to CBS Sports starting that year, which would include a featured game at noon ET most weeks going up against Big Noon Saturday on Fox (which is the flagship presentation of Big Ten games) as well as games on ABC. A primetime Big 12 game would air on CBS instead when an Air Force CIC trophy game is occupying the noon slot on CBS.

As well, one game would air on Paramount Network each week as well as on Paramount+ (which would also simulcast all the CBS games).

This would make the Big 12 one of two conferences airing games on three broadcast networks alongside the Big Ten which also airs on CBS and Fox. Whereas the Big Ten's third network is NBC, the Big 12's would be ABC.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Maryland is in close proximity to Navy and Rutgers to Army. Philly is about halfway between both Annapolis and West Point.
Maryland/Rutgers isn’t worth the shit on the bottom of our shoes in Philadelphia. I’m not exaggerating when I say the stadium would be completely empty if that game was played here. The event staff would outnumber paying fans.

Don’t bother if it’s not Penn State, Notre Dame, or Temple - if they’re good, only sort of. Army/Navy is an exception, and a lot of the tickets go to the service men and women. It’s barely on the sports radar in town, it’s just acknowledged that it’s cool when it’s played here.

It’s no small expense to play these games in NFL stadiums. You have some that do as they’ve been established.

Reactions: DaveG

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I do live in Ohio, but I've been saying for years that cold weather football is real football. And real fans would want UM-OSU at night.

What is your definition of “real fans”? Nobody f***ing wants that game at night.

From personal experience, the last tOSU night game I went to was against Penn St back in 2015 and I didn’t get home until well after 2am and I live 20 minutes from the campus. It was a f***ing nightmare. The earlier the better.

Last edited:

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
What is your definition of “real fans”? Nobody f***ing wants that game at night.

From personal experience, the last tOSU night game I went to was against Penn St back in 2015 and I don’t get home until we’ll after 2am and I live 20 minutes from the campus. It was a f***ing nightmare. The earlier the better.
UM-OSU in 2006 when it was 1 VS. 2 was at 3:30. If they were fine with that then they should be fine with a primetime kickoff. Especially if it is 1 VS. 2 again.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
UM-OSU in 2006 when it was 1 VS. 2 was at 3:30. If they were fine with that then they should be fine with a primetime kickoff. Especially if it is 1 VS. 2 again.

3:30 was once in a lifetime when both schools were undefeated and 1/2 in the nation. That is an outlier for a rivalry where the latest the game would start would be 1:30 in the afternoon in the 70’s and 80’s. Even in the mid 2000’s the game started at 1pm.

Prime time in college football doesn’t equal ratings like it does on Sunday night on NBC because the NFL is a monster.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
With the new TV deals, they’ve tacitly admitted that they will be fine with it in prime time. With Fox having first pick every year, it just won’t happen unless it’s somehow not a factor to the playoff, to which with an expanded playoff, who knows if that ever happens again.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
3:30 was once in a lifetime when both schools were undefeated and 1/2 in the nation. That is an outlier for a rivalry where the latest the game would start would be 1:30 in the afternoon in the 70’s and 80’s. Even in the mid 2000’s the game started at 1pm.

Prime time in college football doesn’t equal ratings like it does on Sunday night on NBC because the NFL is a monster.
And yet college football has far more national TV broadcasts than the NFL. It's going to remain that way through at least 2033, perhaps if the NFL's way of doing TV is struck down by a lawsuit by then we may say a glut of nationally televised NFL games in the future.

With the new TV deals, they’ve tacitly admitted that they will be fine with it in prime time. With Fox having first pick every year, it just won’t happen unless it’s somehow not a factor to the playoff, to which with an expanded playoff, who knows if that ever happens again.
Giving Fox the first pick all the time was a mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad