NCAA: College Football 2023 Off-season News and Notes: the Next Great Realignment

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Pac 12 wasn’t even going to get a deal appreciably higher than what the Mountain West already had.

They lost USC and UCLA. I mean, if the Big10 lost Michigan & Ohio State to the ACC or Big12 their offers wouldn't be that good either.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I was thinking about this.. I think Michigan may win it all this year.

Georgia has a cake walk schedule to make it to the CFBP but they have to replace A LOT.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I was thinking about this.. I think Michigan may win it all this year.

Georgia has a cake walk schedule to make it to the CFBP but they have to replace A LOT.
Michigan has the edge over the other top programs since they return their starting QB and added veteran starters via transfer portal to replace OL.

OSU - McCord has been there for 2 seasons already as the backup. Brown is the competition and has been there for 1 year.
Georgia - 3 way race between Beck, Vandergriff, Stockton
Alabama - Simpson, Milroe were on the roster last season and have ND transfer Buechner

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Michigan has the edge over the other top programs since they return their starting QB and added veteran starters via transfer portal to replace OL.

OSU - McCord has been there for 2 seasons already as the backup. Brown is the competition and has been there for 1 year.
Georgia - 3 way race between Beck, Vandergriff, Stockton
Alabama - Simpson, Milroe were on the roster last season and have ND transfer Buechner

I just can't see Michigan or Harbaugh winning a big game when it matters

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I just can't see Michigan or Harbaugh winning a big game when it matters
Should have beaten TCU last season. Don't think they would have beaten Georgia.

As pro team that plays like Michigan can beat a pro team that is more explosive than them like Georgia was last year. But, college kids are more prone to blown coverages and either making, giving up big plays. That's the main concern I also have for Michigan, along with their inability to win a big time game outside of OSU.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
With Ohio now having two P5 schools (UC and OSU), the state should pass a law requiring them to meet in every sport both schools sponsor. This could potentially end the Bearcats' rivalry with the Miami RedHawks (that they have dominated as of late) unless the P5 decide to roll back to seven conference games, which would be done to increase the amount of major OOC games (as a means of increasing playoff chances) as well as protect select rivalries that would otherwise be lost to realignment.

No thanks, a Buckeye fan.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
No thanks, a Buckeye fan.
One thing OSU has never had is a non-conference rivalry with a school from another power conference.

Many other Big Ten schools have such rivalries. TTUN, OSU's biggest rival, has one with Notre Dame, and several other Big Ten schools have rivalries with ND too.

Regular meetings of Cincy and OSU could actually be good for the state and college sports in general.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
One thing OSU has never had is a non-conference rivalry with a school from another power conference.

Many other Big Ten schools have such rivalries. TTUN, OSU's biggest rival, has one with Notre Dame, and several other Big Ten schools have rivalries with ND too.

Regular meetings of Cincy and OSU could actually be good for the state and college sports in general.

Ohio St doesn’t need an OOC rival. In the grand scheme of things UC really isn’t all that big in the state of Ohio. Hell, they’re probably more popular in Northern KY than they are anywhere outside of the city of Cincinnati.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Ohio state also has a pretty nice OOC for the next couple of years, ND, Washington, Texas, Bama, Georgia.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Sounds like a job for Youngstown State
One thing I really appreciate about Texas is we usually don't schedule an FCS school, but that probably will change once we are in the SEC get those 4 built in wins!

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Ohio state also has a pretty nice OOC for the next couple of years, ND, Washington, Texas, Bama, Georgia.

And within the last 20 (2003 and on) years they’ve had the likes of (PRE B1G expansion) NC State 03/04, Washington 03/07, Texas 05/06, USC 08/09, Miami FL 10/11, Colorado 11, CAL 12/13, VA Tech 14/15, Oklahoma 16/17, TCU 18, Oregon 21, Notre Dame 22/23

@Big Z Man 1990 as for UC since the year 2000, tOSU and UC have played each other 5 times and UC is 0-5 in that time. Only benefit to UC is a payday

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
And within the last 20 (2003 and on) years they’ve had the likes of (PRE B1G expansion) NC State 03/04, Washington 03/07, Texas 05/06, USC 08/09, Miami FL 10/11, Colorado 11, CAL 12/13, VA Tech 14/15, Oklahoma 16/17, TCU 18, Oregon 21, Notre Dame 22/23

@Big Z Man 1990 as for UC since the year 2000, tOSU and UC have played each other 5 times and UC is 0-5 in that time. Only benefit to UC is a payday
I expect UC to compete more aggressively with OSU for top notch recruits now that they are P5. It would be similar to how the Kentucky-Louisville football rivalry evolved after the latter became a BCS AQ then P5 school.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I expect UC to compete more aggressively with OSU for top notch recruits now that they are P5. It would be similar to how the Kentucky-Louisville football rivalry evolved after the latter became a BCS AQ then P5 school.

Which just isn’t going to happen, just like your fantasy for the tOSU/UM game to be in prime time.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It doesn’t need to be. It gets the biggest ratings of the year at noon. Raise the profile of other games.

Reactions: LT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad