Colin Greening

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I wouldn't mind the non-suspension call if the Senators didn't get ****ed several times in the past years on calls where "head contact was unavoidable".

How is head contact unavoidable when a 5'10 guy hits a 6'3 guy anyways?

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
I hate how this is already an issue and the season hasn't even begun. The inconsistency and lack of transparency in the application of rules/discipline in hockey is so annoying.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I don't think the hit warranted a suspension. Greening wasn't unsuspecting (or shouldn't have been) the guy didn't jump or catch just the head.

Greening should have kept his head up.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Greening skated right into Akeson, jesus.

I mean, the hit was bad because Akeson lifted up into Greening's head & neck, and brought his elbow right up to the head, so that part was bad... but come on Colin. He had his head down skating through the neutral zone and didn't even see him! Of course you are going to get knocked into next week.

If Akeson doesn't get his arm up, it's a beauty hit. Greening was totally oblivious.

agree, he should be suspended.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I dunno about suspending greening for that lol no suspension sounds about right.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
agree, he should be suspended.

If a player is skating with the puck and has his head looking down, and another player body checks him with an upward direction of force using his shoulder, etc. then to me it looks like a deliberate intent to target the players' upper body area and potentially the head too. The defending player did not just step in front of the player with the puck, like Gryba on Eller and Cowen on another player. So I think a suspension was warranted in this latest incident. I find the NHL approach inconsistent at best.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
suspend him and tell him to go work at a grocery store and play in a beer league

Jokes aside, atleast Colin Greening has an education to fall back on. Wikstrand is qualified for nothing much higher paying than a grocery store clerk.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
So do we all agree on this being his make or break game? I gotta believe if the coach genuinely means "best players play" then you have to keep both Prince and Puempel up and waive Greening.

Mac-Turris-Stone
Hoff-Zib-Ryan
Prince-Pag-Lazar
Michalek/Chiasson-Smith-Neil/Michalek
Puempel

Not a single player in that 13 has played worse than Greening. Even Neil looks good out there. He's lighter and almost lit up a TOR player in one of his preseason games.

His competition on the LW is really Prince/Puempel/Chiasson and the only player he has an argument against is Puempel as both other players have scored. Puempel is younger and a first round pick who might solely be sent down so he can score but this has to be the biggest game of the preseason for Greening.

I gotta think Murray is calling everyone and anyone asking to have him taken off our hands for free

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So do we all agree on this being his make or break game? I gotta believe if the coach genuinely means "best players play" then you have to keep both Prince and Puempel up and waive Greening.

Mac-Turris-Stone
Hoff-Zib-Ryan
Prince-Pag-Lazar
Michalek/Chiasson-Smith-Neil/Michalek
Puempel

Not a single player in that 13 has played worse than Greening. Even Neil looks good out there. He's lighter and almost lit up a TOR player in one of his preseason games.

His competition on the LW is really Prince/Puempel/Chiasson and the only player he has an argument against is Puempel as both other players have scored. Puempel is younger and a first round pick who might solely be sent down so he can score but this has to be the biggest game of the preseason for Greening.

I gotta think Murray is calling everyone and anyone asking to have him taken off our hands for free

While I think Greening will be around Ottawa for maybe 10 games or so I think he eventually gets waived again & sent to Bingo. I don't see anyone taking his salary especially at the beginning of the yr, he may get a sniff at next yr's deadline when he is in the last yr of his deal but even then I would be surprised. He may even get lent out to a European team just to get him off the books somehow or to recoup some of that money.

While Prince is gifted offensively I'm not as sure that he plays an all around better defensive game than Puempel but because Puempel is waiver exempt there is no doubt he will be returned to Bingo at the end of training camp.

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Don't think there is anything Greening can do to make the team. Just doesn't provide enough in any capacity.

I'm still mystified about why he wasn't bought out. They'd rather pay him 2.75 million to play in Upstate New York?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'm still mystified about why he wasn't bought out. They'd rather pay him 2.75 million to play in Upstate New York?

Honestly, I don't think Euge let Murray buy him out. I imagine a scenario in which Melnyk told him to get rid of the full salary without having to eat any of it.

One of those "work with the budget I gave you to solve your problems" kind of things.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Honestly, I don't think Euge let Murray buy him out. I imagine a scenario in which Melnyk told him to get rid of the full salary without having to eat any of it.

One of those "work with the budget I gave you to solve your problems" kind of things.

Buying him out saves what? 2 Mil in actual dollars?

The cap implications are pretty much a non-factor; we won't be a cap team for the duration of his contract.

It's pretty low risk to hold onto him in the hopes that another team needs a body and is willing to include him as an extra piece in a larger trade. We can buy him out next offseason, and the lost opportunity cost is 1 mil (the diff between savings if we bought him out now vs next year), which in the scheme of things isn't that much.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

There was an issue that because he made less than $3 mil he could not be bought out but what I'm not sure about is if that applies throughout the whole yr or was there at some point in time (a day or a week) where there was an opportunity which they did not take advantage of? I would love to have that clarified but I certainly heard it said that he couldn't be bought out because he made less than $3 mil, I'm just unsure of the time frame associated with it.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
There was an issue that because he made less than $3 mil he could not be bought out but what I'm not sure about is if that applies throughout the whole yr or was there at some point in time (a day or a week) where there was an opportunity which they did not take advantage of? I would love to have that clarified but I certainly heard it said that he couldn't be bought out because he made less than $3 mil, I'm just unsure of the time frame associated with it.

That is specifically related to the buyout window opened up by arbitration. He could have been bought out during the normal buy-out period.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON

I think that just relates to after the arbitration decisions were announced. There's a special buy-out window for teams with players who were awarded a decision, but there's a minimum salary and Greening was under it by a hair.

In the normal buyout period (right after the playoffs and before free agency) I don't think there's that restriction - I think they chose not to do it.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Greening is on waivers to be sent down! So we likely are keeping Peumpel up.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

Don't know if it makes sense to keep puempel up if we can't give him regular ice time, he is young and we don't have to place him on waivers might as well send him down and get regular playing time

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Don't know if it makes sense to keep puempel up if we can't give him regular ice time, he is young and we don't have to place him on waivers might as well send him down and get regular playing time

Well they almost certainly are going to do so to start the season. He has Some NHL time already and several years in the AHL so I doubt it stunts his development much if he ends up in the pressbox to start the season anyway. He probably sees action within a few games anyway. They won't just let him rot if he stays up.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I hope so. I would like to see him push for 12/13 forward spot on the 4th line. He has the very good speed, agility, balance and an excellent shot. His hands are good compared to the other 4th line winger options. He cannot bring Neil's physical presence or command the respect from opponents Neil does but he is an upgrade in other areas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad