Confirmed Trade: [COL/SJS] Devan Dubnyk for Greg Pateryn and 2021 5th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Who is @TaLoN and why are you so caught up in the Colorado Avalanche backup goalie situation? I’m sure you’re not an Avs fan or I would have recognized you before. What gives? Are you like this over Tampa Bay too? Colorado actually have three goalies better than Tampa’s backup. Is there a fascination there too? Even San Jose fans have been praising Dubnyk this year. Again, he’s a backup goalie.

Sorry to single you out, I’ve just never seen somebody so invested in a backup goalie discussion before who wasn’t a fan of that team.
Hes a Minny fan.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
And also head and shoulders better than minny's so called elite defense.

The Wild were the best team in xGA throughout Dubnyk’s entire tenure here. He had one fantastic season after we traded for him and then his faults were shielded by the statistically best defensive system in the league.

Reactions: Laus723

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Who is @TaLoN and why are you so caught up in the Colorado Avalanche backup goalie situation? I’m sure you’re not an Avs fan or I would have recognized you before. What gives? Are you like this over Tampa Bay too? Colorado actually have three goalies better than Tampa’s backup. Is there a fascination there too? Even San Jose fans have been praising Dubnyk this year. Again, he’s a backup goalie.

Sorry to single you out, I’ve just never seen somebody so invested in a backup goalie discussion before who wasn’t a fan of that team.
This is a neutral board for all fans to discuss trades, go figure fans of other teams will have an opinion.

I happen to have watched Dubnyk for many years, I am a fan of his, always liked him as a person too.

I happen to have knowledge of the player from when he was at his best, and observed his decline to one of the worst goalies in the league.

So, I have an opinion on the player being discussed in this thread. Shocking...I know, being a message board and all.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This is a neutral board for all fans to discuss trades, go figure fans of other teams will have an opinion.

I happen to have watched Dubnyk for many years, I am a fan of his, always liked him as a person too.

I happen to have knowledge of the player from when he was at his best, and observed his decline to one of the worst goalies in the league.

So, I have an opinion on the player being discussed in this thread. Shocking...I know, being a message board and all.
Absolutely that’s fine. Just found it odd for someone to be that obsessive over such a nothing move. Was curious if maybe you were a relative or old friend or something.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The Wild were the best team in xGA throughout Dubnyk’s entire tenure here. He had one fantastic season after we traded for him and then his faults were shielded by the statistically best defensive system in the league.

And now he's getting another chance as a backup with less pressure to an even better defensive team. All for the price of a 5th round pick. I don't hate it. The Avs longer term backup is Frankie anyways.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Absolutely that’s fine. Just found it odd for someone to be that obsessive over such a nothing move. Was curious if maybe you were a relative or old friend or something.
Not obsessive at all. It was news today I found interesting and offered an opinion that some questioned, so I discussed my viewpoint on the situation.

Obsessive would be seeking out any thread anywhere to bring this up and not let it go. This was just discussing a relevant and recent topic that is actually news relevant to a top team in the same division heading towards the playoffs.

Every season Dubnyk was there besides his last, his stats were pretty good and starter quality. I don't watch Minnesota regularly but from and outsider it just seemed like an off year which many goalies have. Let Talbot be your starter for 5+ seasons and he'll have atleast one abomination of a season or more, goalies are wildy unpredictable.

Side note that I'm not arguing that your defense isn't good, I'd honestly prefer your d-core for this season atleast (Avs long term clearly with how young they are). The Wild have a much more varied blue line with players with polar opposite strengths and weaknesses that fit each other well. Avs top defenders are all somewhat similar to an extent although still very good and effective.
Look at his expected goals allowed stat over the same period, and you see the end coming plain as day.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Jeez. How often do good goalies get traded with a goalie in return? Like a decent 1-year left placeholder for the remainder of the season? lol it won’t happen, but hoping Dubnyk gets paired with something else to add a better goalie. Honestly, this looks like a great potential year for the Avs that could be completely derailed last second from just one goalie injury

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
Can't argue with the price. And Dubnyk can hold the fort in an emergency. Good move for both teams.

Reactions: Coachcorner

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Holy cow, literally no Avs fan is jumping at the moon or thinks this makes any real difference about their playoff chances. The point is not to play Dub in the playoffs. The point is to reast Grubs for a few games here and there in the rest of the regular season. The Avs defense and possession game is off the charts. Even if Dubnyk is a bad NHL goalie at this point, the Avs have a decent chance of winning half the games he starts in net if not more. We've already seen that with JJ, who was already described as "the worst goalie in the NHL". Avs fans have seen the worst goalie to take starts in the NHL this year, his name is Hunter Miska.

I cannot believe their is a Wild fan who has this much to say about Dubnyk at this point.
Yep. JJ has won 5 of 6 points with a 0.920 sv% and 2.13 GAA on this team, despite letting in a few soft goals. Even with Miska in net who had the 3rd worst sv% of any goalie in 30 years with 5GP the Avs went 0.500 (1-1-3). All the Avs need is 0.900 and they'll win more often than not.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Low risk and cost trade. None of the G are signed beyond this season, so they have the extra incentive to prove themselves. Grubs needs rest and spreading the workload for the remainder of the season and provide extra support for injury is worth the later pick.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Maybe I have you mixed up with somebody else. My apologies if so. Somebody with a similar profile picture constantly takes sarcastic shots at Sakic (weird guy to go after) and sarcastically talks about how the Avs players take team friendly contracts when factually, many of them have.
It's him.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I have to root for Dub now? We have talked massive amounts of shit on him for a few years now and Was one of the most hated players by the fan base. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad