Confirmed Trade: [COL/SJS] Devan Dubnyk for Greg Pateryn and 2021 5th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Pretty sure if they feel they need to upgrade their backup goalie as insurance, they won't be shopping in the defective goalie bin.

That's the issue here... claiming it's an upgrade or insurance, when it's none of that. It's just more terrible goaltending instead.

Again, Dubnyk isn't an improvement at all. That's why it makes so little sense.

Dubnyk is absolutely an improvement over miska and JJ. I mean we've at least seen Dubnyk play decent in his career. Can't say the same for miska and JJ.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Colorado now have 8 goalies under NHL contract. Has to be some kind of record. :laugh:

Grubauer
Dubnyk
Johansson
Francouz
Jones
Miska
Werner
Annunen

Only Francouz, Annunen and Miska are under contract for next year.
And only Grubauer is any good at all? Just adds to the confusion on why the Avs felt the need for this.

Dubnyk is absolutely an improvement over miska and JJ. I mean we've at least seen Dubnyk play decent in his career. Can't say the same for miska and JJ.
What about your other 5 goalies?

I'd bet on the field over Dubnyk.

MapleLeafs94

So then I said...
Nov 18, 2016
Colorado has a great defensive core so they can make goalies numbers look better and get along well even with personnel that isn't optimal. We've also seen Dubnyk behind a fairly competent blue line in Minnesota and be horrible in his last year there. We've also seen goalies look like they're beyond done (Fleury comes to mind) and come back playing lights out, and Dubnyk has shown world class skills in a couple seasons. What I'm trying to say is goalies are voodoo and who the f*** knows how he'll perform for the Avalanche. Honestly, this trade is more saying the goalie market isn't great right now, Arizona is fighting for a playoff spot so their tandem is staying put, and another name floating around in Ullmark, I'd assume Buffalo is trying to re-sign him or asking too much for Sakic's liking.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The Dubnyk I saw this year got left out to dry on multiple occasions by his defense. You still fail to acknowledge that the defense on Colorado is head and shoulders above what San Jose ices.

And also head and shoulders better than minny's so called elite defense.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
And only Grubauer is any good at all? Just adds to the confusion on why the Avs felt the need for this.

What about your other 5 goalies?

- Francouz has been out since training camp. We have no idea what happened to him, but he's done.
- Annunen is in Finland (and struggling).
- Jones is a bad ECHL goaltender.
- Werner is a bad AHL goaltender.

Reactions: Mordoch and TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Look at Cam Talbot behind that same Minnesota defense.
- Francouz has been out since training camp. We have no idea what happened to him, but he's done.
- Annunen is in Finland (and struggling).
- Jones is a bad ECHL goaltender.
- Werner is a bad AHL goaltender.
So, Colorado has the largest collection of bad goaltenting in history, behind one single NHL caliber goaltender. I take it, this is then purely a gamble that maybe Dubs could find a momentary flash of his old self if times get desperate.

At least that then makes a little sense. I'd certainly bet against it if the time came, but that does give some sense to this which I didn't see in the deal before.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Solid pickup for avs. They addressed what they needed at a decent cost . Up to Toronto pitt wash Boston Vegas to do the same

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
We're aware of when she was hospitalized and he took his leave of absence. He was playing terrible all season before... he was getting clearly progressively worse the entire season prior to the point he shouldn't have even been the starter entering the season in the first place. The season before that even, the decline in his play was very apparent.

It's been several years leading to this trajectory. You're trying to make it out like it was unexpected. It wasn't. We all saw it coming. I know you're trying to feel for the guy considering the scare last year.. we all do. That wasn't the trigger for where his career has gone since though.
I’m not saying it was unexpected. I’m saying you are over exaggerating where he is now.
Yep. Maybe pretty close defensively but the puck movement in COL is way better.

MapleLeafs94

So then I said...
Nov 18, 2016
Look at Cam Talbot behind that same Minnesota defense.

So, Colorado has the largest collection of bad goaltenting in history, behind one single NHL caliber goaltender. I take it, this is then purely a gamble that maybe Dubs could find a momentary flash of his old self if times get desperate.

At least that then makes a little sense. I'd certainly bet against it if the time came, but that does give some sense to this which I didn't see in the deal before.

Every season Dubnyk was there besides his last, his stats were pretty good and starter quality. I don't watch Minnesota regularly but from and outsider it just seemed like an off year which many goalies have. Let Talbot be your starter for 5+ seasons and he'll have atleast one abomination of a season or more, goalies are wildy unpredictable.

Side note that I'm not arguing that your defense isn't good, I'd honestly prefer your d-core for this season atleast (Avs long term clearly with how young they are). The Wild have a much more varied blue line with players with polar opposite strengths and weaknesses that fit each other well. Avs top defenders are all somewhat similar to an extent although still very good and effective.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
We really needed someone better but I guess the prices must have been too high on guys like Bernier or ullmark

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
You're missing the point.

That you think Dubnyk is awful and cannot possibly turn it around? Even though he has a history of doing just that?

Did his eyes go bad or arms stopped working or shrunk from 6'6 to 5'9 or something?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
That you think Dubnyk is awful and cannot possibly turn it around? Even though he has a history of doing just that?

Did his eyes go bad or arms stopped working or shrunk from 6'6 to 5'9 or something?

He's gotten a lot slower, so he's cheating to the puck carrier and he's coming too far out of his net to cut the angle down. Are you thinking there will be some kind of improvement to this at 34 years old? It's a clear decline in ability

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I get the opportunity cost angle. But how much are you willing to pay for a guy that you hope/expect won't see a single second of ice time in the playoffs?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He's gotten a lot slower, so he's cheating to the puck carrier and he's coming too far out of his net to cut the angle down. Are you thinking there will be some kind of improvement to this at 34 years old? It's a clear decline in ability

Did he get alot slower in one off season due to a career ending injury that could never be healed? What you said sounds like something that is more technical, but we will have to see how he plays. It is also something where a big goalie playing less games and facing less shots against will do better.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Did he get alot slower in one off season due to a career ending injury that could never be healed? What you said sounds like something that is more technical, but we will have to see how he plays.

Of course it sounds technical... because those are things goalies get coached to do as they get older and decline, not because they feel like doing it.

You can tell Fluery for example hasn't experienced much decline even at 36 years old, because he's not been coached to cheat over or making himself big so he doesn't need to react.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Who is @TaLoN and why are you so caught up in the Colorado Avalanche backup goalie situation? I’m sure you’re not an Avs fan or I would have recognized you before. What gives? Are you like this over Tampa Bay too? Colorado actually have three goalies better than Tampa’s backup. Is there a fascination there too? Even San Jose fans have been praising Dubnyk this year. Again, he’s a backup goalie.

Sorry to single you out, I’ve just never seen somebody so invested in a backup goalie discussion before who wasn’t a fan of that team.

Reactions: klozge and Gecklund

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Of course it sounds technical... because those are things goalies get coached to do as they get older and decline, not because they feel like doing it.

You can tell Fluery for example hasn't experienced much decline even at 36 years old, because he's not been coached to cheat over or making himself big so he doesn't need to react.

Yes but is there a physical reason for that slowness beyond one off season of aging? And could he regain 10% of that speed with much less games played and less shots faced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad