Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Nathan MacKinnon re-signs (7 years, $6.3M AAV)

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Not many that's why they're steals. 60 point players at 6 million aren't steals.

But I'd wager before the 7 years is up, that 60pt players will be making on average much more than $6.3m. Factor in he'll be in his mid 20s, and to say it won't be a steal if he isn't a PPG player is a bit much.

Currently $6.3m is close a fair price for 60pt centers, to think that the market won't continue to rise as it always does seems a bit short sighted.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
But I'd wager before the 7 years is up, that 60pt players will be making on average much more than $6.3m. Factor in he'll be in his mid 20s, and to say it won't be a steal if he isn't a PPG player is a bit much.

Currently $6.3m is close a fair price for 60pt centers, to think that the market won't continue to rise as it always does seems a bit short sighted.

That's not how this works. It's not a steal if everyone with the same production is making the same amount then it's just a fair deal. The players will be making much more? If the cap goes up 10 percent then the equivalent of a 6 million dollar deal is 6.6. The cap would have to skyrocket to NBA levels for that. The TV deal ends after 2021. I wouldn't back on 2 years of this deal to be a steal.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
the deal is structured such that Mac is getting paid 5 mill and then progressively more until he tops at like 7.5 or something. Not really a "steal" of a deal, but with players at his age, any deal could potentially be a steal. Kinda wished it was 8 years since he would only be 29 at that age.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
That's complete ********.

David Backes just got a 6.0M cap hit at 32 Years old for a 45 point season. Andrew Ladd just got 5.5M for 45 points at 30 years old.

Lucic just got 6M for 55 Points.

Even if Mackinnon becomes nothing more then a 55 point player(Which is highly, highly unlikely), this is a fair contract and a reasonable cap hit for 7 years of that kind of production.

All he has to do is take one single step forward and become a regular 60-65 point guy and this becomes a steal.

Mack still has the potential to be a PPG+ forward in this game. He's only 20 years old.

This is an absolutely fantastic contract and the people who say its not are going to look like complete fools in a couple of years, possibly as soon as next year even.

-Backes was a UFA not a RFA like Mackinnon, completely different scenarios.

-Potential doesn't mean anything if it's never achieved

-Mackinnon's last 2 seasons weren't bad-don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting that. They're just not worthy of $6.3million hit (especially from a RFA).

-You don't have a crystal ball that reads the future, you don't know what will happen. People said the same thing about plenty of busts in NHL history.

-60-65 point player at $6.3million is not a "steal". Okposo was arguably the #1 UFA forward this year, he's about a 65 point player, and signed for $6million.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting it's a terrible contract, I'm just saying it's not the "steal" some are making it out to be...big difference between steal and this, as an Islander fan Tavares's contract is a steal for example.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

-Mackinnon's last 2 seasons weren't bad-don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting that. They're just not worthy of $6.3million hit (especially from a RFA).

-You don't have a crystal ball that reads the future, you don't know what will happen. People said the same thing about plenty of busts in NHL history.

-60-65 point player at $6.3million is not a "steal". Okposo was arguably the #1 UFA forward this year, he's about a 65 point player, and signed for $6million.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting it's a terrible contract, I'm just saying it's not the "steal" some are making it out to be...big difference between steal and this, as an Islander fan Tavares's contract is a steal for example.

Which he signed before he turned 21 after a 67 point season...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Scary deal. A long term deal based mostly on potential can go very, very badly. I hope for MacKinnons sake, the kid takes the next step and becomes the player the Avs are hoping for.
Should be a good deal for the Avs, kid is only 20, lots of room and time for him to grow his game into a legit #1 C

He paced for ~60pts this season while improving drastically defensively and playing through an injury that took away his shot and caused him to get frustrated. He's already a #1C in today's NHL; for whom this is a fair value deal; and could easily still take the next step to become a top tier #1C.

And if we see just 40-50 games from him at the level he was at for the first 30-35 last year; he'll deliver the "breakout" season everyone is waiting for. Kid was simply dominant before hurting his wrist/hand.

Last edited:

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland

What would suggest anything like that he wouldn't achieve his potential? Think about a scenario where Mackinnon was on your team and he's just starting his 7y/6,3m deal, already how good he is, he only gets better each year. Steal or no steal? I say steal!

Last edited:

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
What would suggest anything like that he wouldn't achieve his potential? Think about a scenario where Mackinnon was on your team and he's just starting his 7y/6,3m deal, already how good he is, he only gets better each year. Steal or no steal? I say steal!

Over the past 2 years Mackinnon has averaged just 45 points. While that's certainly not terrible-it's not worthy of a $6.3million hit.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Over the past 2 years Mackinnon has averaged just 45 points. While that's certainly not terrible-it's not worthy of a $6.3million hit.

Umm you'd only be right IF MacKinnon wasn't ONLY 20 years old and still developing several years... So in a few years this will probably look like a steal

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Mac is a stud. Blazing speed, great shot. Good deal for Colorado.

I guess only Western teams that Avs play alot will understand :laugh: I do think it's a steal maybe not right now but will sure be aside of points he does everything well in the ice keeps improving defensively.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
LOL at people saying Mack is a 50 point player and that he's getting paid too much.

He has a career average of 58 points per 82 games played. That's through 3 NHL seasons. The kid is 20 years old.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find many players in NHL history with that type of average through 3 years while still being 20 years old.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Umm you'd only be right IF MacKinnon wasn't ONLY 20 years old and still developing several years... So in a few years this will probably look like a steal

"in a few years this will probably look like a steal"-you just agreed with me that it's not a steal, because it's not a steal at the moment.

Mackinnon will be 21 this year so of course he stay has plenty of time to reach his POTENTIAL-that's IF he reaches it.

LOL at people saying Mack is a 50 point player and that he's getting paid too much.

He has a career average of 58 points per 82 games played. That's through 3 NHL seasons. The kid is 20 years old.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find many players in NHL history with that type of average through 3 years while still being 20 years old.

Over the past 2 seasons Mackinnon didn't even score (or average) the most amount of points from his draft year (Monahan did).

Tavares, Hall, Kane, Nugent-Hopkins, Stamkos, Crosby, Ovechkin are the 1st overall picks in the league that can say that, not to mention the plenty of others currently playing who can. I wouldn't say I was very "hard-pressed" to come up with those names.

I'm not saying Mackinnon sucks, or that he didn't deserve to go 1st overall, I'm saying that his contract is not a "steal". How many forwards with a $6.3million hit or higher are worse than Mackinnon?

Last edited:

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
"in a few years this will probably look like a steal"-you just agreed with me that it's not a steal, because it's not a steal at the moment.

Mackinnon will be 21 this year so of course he stay has plenty of time to reach his POTENTIAL-that's IF he reaches it.

Over the past 2 seasons Mackinnon didn't even score (or average) the most amount of points from his draft year (Monahan did).

Tavares, Hall, Kane, Nugent-Hopkins, Stamkos, Crosby, Ovechkin are the 1st overall picks in the league that can say that, not to mention the plenty of others currently playing who can. I wouldn't say I was very "hard-pressed" to come up with those names.

I'm not saying Mackinnon sucks, or that he didn't deserve to go 1st overall, I'm saying that his contract is not a "steal". How many forwards with a $6.3million hit or higher are worse than Mackinnon?

Hmmmm I would say Koivu, Marleau, Kesler, Stastny, Ryan, Nash. I think that's about it and yet these contracts were signed like 3-6 years ago. Maybe some won't agree with me but this is based in overall not just the total points column.

To mention Tavares I think you're trying to compare his contract with MacKinnon when Tavares signed 3 years ago and yet alot of people would agree to say it was still a steal at the time. So yeah I still think MacKinnon will be a steal maybe not right now and Tavares will sign his next contract in 2 years around 9-11M$ if market value has increased like every year.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Basically arguing over semantics here. If MacKinnon is never any better than he was the first three years in the league, it just a fair deal.

Avs fans, and I think most NHL fans in general as well, tend to think MacKinnon has some room to grow. And if he does become a 70+ point player, this contract will be a steal. And it isn't like he has all that far to go to get there.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
So this probably means Drouin will be asking a minimum of $6m next year, assuming he stays on the Stamkos line for most of next season.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

Landeskog...Also Gaudreau has him beat points per game wise as well. MacKinnon also has Monahan beat points per game, I think it's fair to say that MacKinnon easily could've score more than 6 points in 19 games.

Last edited:

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland

I didn't agree with you, cause you meant MacKinnon's 7year contract is too expensive for him with 6,3m. In reality, it's the opposite cause in a few years teams woukd offer much more for a player like MacK, too bad for the rest that we have him signed long term. And to your latest question, the key here is his age, not his cap hit... How many forwards in the world that are 20 or less are better than him? Yes there are a few that comes to mind that are the same caliber and maybe one who is CLEARLY better

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad