Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Nathan MacKinnon re-signs (7 years, $6.3M AAV)

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Seguin had 32 points in 48 games the season before he signed that deal which is less than MacKinnon's pace last year. He had 22 points his rookie year. So by your standards, yes, I guess. Josi had only one truly good season before he signed long term.

And anyone that watched MacKinnon the first 30 games of the season knows he didn't flatline. He was playing the best hockey of his life.

On top of that, $6m has become the going rate for 55 point players. Look at the league leader list. Anybody that hits 55+ with any regularity is making $5.5m+.

There isn't a GM in the league that wouldn't love to have MacKinnon on this contract.
Seguin signed his contract after his second season where he had 29 goals/67 points. He also signed for 0.55M less.

I'm not going to bash the Mackinnon contract, because they had to give it to him...but it definitely doesn't feel as safe as Hall and Seguin's contracts.

The guy above mentioned Eberle. He got 6M after a 34 goal/76 point season where he played 78 games.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
Seguin had 32 points in 48 games the season before he signed that deal which is less than MacKinnon's pace last year.

Seguin signed his deal/extension in September of 2012, right after his 67-point sophomore season (playing less than 17 minutes a game).

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Did Tavares, Seguin, Josi or Hall have a couple of disappointing seasons after their rookie year? Nope, they didn't. So no, it wasn't bad business, as they've continued to excel just like was expected when the contracts were signed.

Even if he doesn't improve one bit, 6.3 for a fringe 1st line player isn't super awful. But he's still only 20 and if he improves, you're looking at a massive steal. 3 UFA years bought as well.

This is the market value for young, top RFAs.

Last edited by a moderator:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Seguin signed his deal/extension in September of 2012, right after his 67-point sophomore season (playing less than 17 minutes a game).

Didn't realize that. Still don't see it as all that different. MacKinnon's 63 points came with just over 17 min per game.

People seem upset that MacKinnon's highest point total didn't come in his last year (although his pace was very close), but I don't think it matters all that much. As Seguin obviously showed, development isn't linear. And one thing Seguin, Tavares, and Hall all have in common is that they didn't hit elite levels until after they turned 21. MacKinnon will be 21 in the fall.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This only makes sense if you ignore the fact that his two "off" seasons came at 19 and 20 years old. Safe to say, he will get even better.

Or that his latest "off" season was quite likely his best thus far. Pacing for ~60 points while playing Center instead of wing, with worse linemates on a worse team than he had in his rookie year, while taking a big step defensively, and having to play through a hand/wrist injury that screwed with his shot.

But whatevs, I'm just a biased avs fan trying desperately to justify this horrible contract...:laugh:

Did Tavares, Seguin, Josi or Hall have a couple of disappointing seasons after their rookie year?

[snip]

MacKinnon hasn't had a "couple" of disappointing seasons, so why does this question matter?

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
6 is probably a little too high for next year (although maybe not), right on target for the next3 years or so then an absolute steal when he hit his prime. Very very good deal.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Fair deal. Slight overpayment now while they bank on potential. Typical with a high profile player. Definitely not "fantastic" or a steal unless he's a consistent PPG player.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Good for the Avs for locking him down long term and for realistic money compared to comparables

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Fair deal. Slight overpayment now while they bank on potential. Typical with a high profile player. Definitely not "fantastic" or a steal unless he's a consistent PPG player.

You are correct, a career ending injury would stop him from doing that, in that case it's not definitely "fantastic"

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

Hard to say now much less over 7 years. Non-PPG players that are past their prime are already making that level of money. How many current players making more than 6.3m are actually PPG players?

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Should be a good deal for the Avs, kid is only 20, lots of room and time for him to grow his game into a legit #1 C

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Hard to say now much less over 7 years. Non-PPG players that are past their prime are already making that level of money. How many current players making more than 6.3m are actually PPG players?

Not many that's why they're steals. 60 point players at 6 million aren't steals.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I'm pretty shocked his career hasn't taken off faster; but does he still have PPG potential? I thought that right away when he lit up the leafs in his rookie year

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
it's not a steal they could have had his Rfa years for less if they really wanted to. A steal would be signing this with 1 year left on his Rfa contract.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
it's not a steal they could have had his Rfa years for less if they really wanted to. A steal would be signing this with 1 year left on his Rfa contract.

I'm sure they could have gotten him for cheaper on a 4 year deal. Then you have to deal with a 25 year old UFA MacKinnon at the end of it.

This is more than fine value.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Scary deal. A long term deal based mostly on potential can go very, very badly. I hope for MacKinnons sake, the kid takes the next step and becomes the player the Avs are hoping for.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Pretty fair deal as of right now, with the potential to be a home-run should Mack improve any more. Like I said though, I think a player of his calibre is probably worth $6m/yr, so the extra $.3m isn't a huge deal. I like it for the Avs, could pay off in spades.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Scary deal. A long term deal based mostly on potential can go very, very badly. I hope for MacKinnons sake, the kid takes the next step and becomes the player the Avs are hoping for.

He was 60 point pace last year. If that's all he ever is, this deal is very far from very very bad.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Awesome deal!!

He's still a young professional whose growing into his body still. A couple more seasons of hard-work in the gym and he'll be a beast. I don't think he's going to light the league up with an 100 point season consistently. However, there's a lot of players in the 6 mill range who don't nearly have half the potential of Mac.

Love the deal for the future of the Avs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad