Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] F Nathan MacKinnon signs extension with the Avalanche (8 years, $12.6M AAV)

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
What are the numbers for previous season? All the contracts were signed this summer and the only thing that matters is the current ability to perform. I love Nate and he is very entertaining although sometimes frustrating to watch, but to claim he is a tier above from Johnny and Jonathan is a silly take.
You’re on drugs if you don’t think Mack is a level above both of those guys. Mack made Johnny hockey look like a child in the Calgary series when Calgary was a better club and 1st in the west. Us on the Avs board know you have a bone to pick with Mack bc you think Rants is the end all be all but literally everyone is telling you Mack is clearly a level above the two players mentions.

Mack had 88 points in 60 games played this year. On a “down year” snake bitten a good portion of the early season and dealing with injuries. Factor his PPG both regular season the last 3 or 4 years and especially playoffs and if it isn’t clear to you, you’re biased.

Let’s not forget a few short years ago TSN was calling him the possible best player in the league bc his playoff singular performance that year. While most of us know that’s not the case… neither of the two guys mentioned have ever been in that discussion. Not even top five.

Also… Mack is an elite center. Both those guys are wings. It’s very clear to anyone with eyes

Reactions: Patagonia

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
Always with the regular season bafoonery 🥱 come back to us when you figure out what happens in the yoffs.
Exactly. Meanwhile his boy Rants did his best disappearing act for massive portions of the playoffs. Dude was a legit liability the first two series, didn’t score a goal that wasn’t an empty netter until the Edmonton series, and was a turnover machine the first 2/3rd of the post season.

Mack had the tying goal and primary assist on the winner in a cup winning game. He would have one Smyth if it wasn’t for the absurd 27 points in 20 games by a d-man. Largest playoff point total by a defenseman in like 30 years. In just 20 games.

Huberdeau and Johnny hockey have been dreadful in the post season. Johnny played a bit better this season but his play has been embarrassing all years prior.

Imagine thinking the two WINGS are on the same level as a top three center in the world.

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
You’re on drugs if you don’t think Mack is a level above both of those guys. Mack made Johnny hockey look like a child in the Calgary series when Calgary was a better club and 1st in the west. Us on the Avs board know you have a bone to pick with Mack bc you think Rants is the end all be all but literally everyone is telling you Mack is clearly a level above the two players mentions.

Mack had 88 points in 60 games played this year. On a “down year” snake bitten a good portion of the early season and dealing with injuries. Factor his PPG both regular season the last 3 or 4 years and especially playoffs and if it isn’t clear to you, you’re biased.

Let’s not forget a few short years ago TSN was calling him the possible best player in the league bc his playoff singular performance that year. While most of us know that’s not the case… neither of the two guys mentioned have ever been in that discussion. Not even top five.

Also… Mack is an elite center. Both those guys are wings. It’s very clear to anyone with eyes
I do not recall Avs playing Flames in PO's previous season. I have no beef on MacK, He is fun to watch. MacK is not an elite center. He is bad in face offs and does not make players around him better. He plays more like a very talented wing and creates opportunities for himself more than to the other players around him. And is one of the best in the world in that. Avs top6 overall play pretty positionless hockey, especially when Makar is on the ice.

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
Exactly. Meanwhile his boy Rants did his best disappearing act for massive portioplayoffs. Dudens of the was a legit liability the first two series, didn’t score a goal that wasn’t an empty netter until the Edmonton series, and was a turnover machine the first 2/3rd of the post season.

Mack had the tying goal and primary assist on the winner in a cup winning game. He would have one Smyth if it wasn’t for the absurd 27 points in 20 games by a d-man. Largest playoff point total by a defenseman in like 30 years. In just 20 games.

Huberdeau and Johnny hockey have been dreadful in the post season. Johnny played a bit better this season but his play has been embarrassing all years prior.

Imagine thinking the two WINGS are on the same level as a top three center in the worl
What an idiotic take. Here are stats for full playoffs. Rantanen was leading scorer in points in finals, too.

PlayerSeasonTeamS/CPosGPGAP+/-PIMP/GP
Cale Makar
20212022​
COLRD
20​
8​
21​
29​
7​
10​
1,45​
Mikko Rantanen
20212022​
COLLR
20​
5​
20​
25​
3​
4​
1,25​
Nathan MacKinnon
20212022​
COLRC
20​
13​
11​
24​
11​
8​
1,2​

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
I do not recall Avs playing Flames in PO's previous season. I have no beef on MacK, He is fun to watch. MacK is not an elite center. He is bad in face offs and does not make players around him better. He plays more like a very talented wing and creates opportunities for himself more than to the other players around him. And is one of the best in the world in that. Avs top6 overall play pretty positionless hockey, especially when Makar is on the ice.

You don’t remember 3 years ago in 2019 but are also telling us who’s better??

Mack was an elite center prior to Makar being on the ice

Two years ago when large portions of the Avs were hurt Mackinnon played with 3rd liners. He carried the team and made all of them better.

Flames played the Avs in 2019 when the flames were 1st in the west and the Avs were 8th. Mackinnon outplayed Johnny Hockey by a large margin scoring an overtime goal in game two and then legitimately played like the best player on the planet that series. The two aren’t comparable in the playoffs.

Johnny had a great season… but it’s one season where points where at an all time high. How has he done the seasons and playoffs before? Certainly not on Mack’s level. Not even close

Who cares if Mack doesn’t take face offs. To say he doesn’t make players better is absolute nonsense and the numbers don’t support that. It’s just time to sit the rest of this out. The numbers, fans of the Avs and most notably other teams are telling you you’re wrong.

The fact is Mack has been a top 3 center in the game for at least 4 seasons now whether you believe it or not. Elite centers win cups and is the most important position in the game.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
A lot of GMs don't think that far. Selling seats is a huge reason that superstars are really worth more than they get. Max contract in sports is pretty much just because NHLPA wants some level of equity for their players.
Then why haven’t teams offered max contracts before?

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
What an idiotic take. Here are stats for full playoffs. Rantanen was leading scorer in points in finals, too.

PlayerSeasonTeamS/CPosGPGAP+/-PIMP/GP
Cale Makar
20212022​
COLRD
20​
8​
21​
29​
7​
10​
1,45​
Mikko Rantanen
20212022​
COLLR
20​
5​
20​
25​
3​
4​
1,25​
Nathan MacKinnon
20212022​
COLRC
20​
13​
11​
24​
11​
8​
1,2​
You may want to take a closer look my friend. Rants didn’t score a goal that wasn’t an empty netter (just one) until the 3rd round. He also didn’t score a goal in the Tampa series. While goals aren’t the end all be all, rants feasted on 2nd assists. He has a habit of doing that. He can be dreadful all game and then walk away with two assists or a goal in garbage time.

There were large portions of HFavs that were calling him to be benched against Nashville and St Louis. There’s absolutely no way you can tell me he played well. I’m a big rants fan so I don’t have a bone to pick with him and I do believe he’s worth his AAV… but he was bad for large portions this PO. He seemed to turn it around in the Edmonton series and had some great dishes in the Tampa series.

The first two series he was bad bad. Any Avs fan will tell you the same.

Anyway.. this thread is about Mack. Let’s move on.

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
You may want to take a closer look my friend. Rants didn’t score a goal that wasn’t an empty netter (just one) until the 3rd round. He also didn’t score a goal in the Tampa series. While goals aren’t the end all be all, rants feasted on 2nd assists. He has a habit of doing that. He can be dreadful all game and then walk away with two assists or a goal in garbage time.

There were large portions of HFavs that were calling him to be benched against Nashville and St Louis. There’s absolutely no way you can tell me he played well. I’m a big rants fan so I don’t have a bone to pick with him and I do believe he’s worth his AAV… but he was bad for large portions this PO. He seemed to turn it around in the Edmonton series and had some great dishes in the Tampa series.

Geez

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021

He was the Avs second leading scorer in the playoffs and lead the team in scoring during the six games of the finals.

The fact you use the thoughts and wishes of HF posters as a knock against him is hilariously awful and pretty much tells you all you need to know about your argument.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
How well did that contract workout for Tampa? You don’t think anyone learned from that?
You don't think GMs repeat mistakes of the past when they have cap space and want to make a splash? How long have you watched professional sports LOL.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
What a well argumented post. Care to elaborate your take a bit?

You’re boasting regular season numbers like it matters in the slightest. Mackinnon is a game breaker and especially when it matters, he’s alot better than gaudreau and huby lol.

Reactions: xAvsx89

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
The fact you use the thoughts and wishes of HF posters as a knock against him is hilariously awful and pretty much tells you all you need to know about your argument.
I agree with your sentiment overall regarding fan opinion, but Rantanen was not impactful in the beginning of the playoffs no matter what the numbers say.

Now, that is in relation to expectations. It isn't like he was Marco Sturm out there.
His game just didn't seem to rise to the occasion when it could have mattered most in those early rounds.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You don't think GMs repeat mistakes of the past when they have cap space and want to make a splash? How long have you watched professional sports LOL.
How many players have been offered max contracts since? Highest I’ve seen is $13M for Tavares

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
I agree with your sentiment overall regarding fan opinion, but Rantanen was not impactful in the beginning of the playoffs no matter what the numbers say.

Now, that is in relation to expectations. It isn't like he was Marco Sturm out there.
His game just didn't seem to rise to the occasion when it could have mattered most in those early rounds.
Who cares?

By the end of the playoffs he was the top scoring forward and was second overall on the team. Have you all forgotten he was recovering from an illness at the beginning of the playoffs as well? Or that Rantanen did manage to record five points in four games in the first round?

But Rantenen sucks because he didn't meet some arbitrary level of play by HFAvs fans in the Nashville series.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Mackinnon absolutely makes the players around him better

Reactions: xAvsx89

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
But Rantenen sucks because he didn't meet some arbitrary level of play by HFAvs fans in the Nashville series.

I never said anything of the sort. Just why some may view Rantanen as less impactful than MacKinnon even if the counting stats say otherwise.

I think the 2 primary posters in that discussion are being hyperbolic. Rants did not disappear, but he wasn't a superstar either during the cup run.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
This is so embarrassing. Take it to the avs boards. Shitty takes on both sides. Mack not being an impact player & not an elite centre. As well as rants being a passenger. You guys sound like spoiled babies arguing over whos bottle is bigger

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Exactly the opposite (imo) and yes I know you are sort of being facetious to make a point here haha. My basis for expecting better 1st/2nd rounds from Rantanen was because he doesn't suck at all and is in fact a legitimate superstar and franchise player when playing at the level which he is truly capable of.

That's at least why I criticized him in the first couple series, at least. I expected him to turn it around and he definitely did.

This is so embarrassing. Take it to the avs boards. Shitty takes on both sides. Mack not being an impact player & not an elite centre. As well as rants being a passenger. You guys sound like spoiled babies arguing over whos bottle is bigger
Why must we infect Avs subforum with this frivolous nonsense? This is absolutely in the wheelhouse of the main boards.

Reactions: Newusername

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
He was the Avs second leading scorer in the playoffs and lead the team in scoring during the six games of the finals.

Rants was bad to end the season and just as bad two rounds in. That’s all I’m saying. I’m moving on

This is a Mack thread and he’s easily worth his new contract. Anytime i see a certain Avs poster downplaying Mack while simultaneously pumping up another it gets my goat.

Apologies if I derailed the thread.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Exactly the opposite (imo) and yes I know you are sort of being facetious to make a point here haha. My basis for expecting better 1st/2nd rounds from Rantanen was because he doesn't suck at all and is in fact a legitimate superstar and franchise player when playing at the level which he is truly capable of.

That's at least why I criticized him in the first couple series, at least. I expected him to turn it around and he definitely did.

Why must we infect Avs subforum with this frivolous nonsense? This is absolutely in the wheelhouse of the main boards.
Hahah fair enough, carry on

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021

This is total bullshit. I watched every Avs PO game. Rantanen played his best game of the season during playoffs like he always does (and like MacK does) being physical, making giveaways for the opposition and making high danger opportunities for his linemates. He played most of the playoffs in 2nd line, but was still the 2nd best scorer in the team. I don't understand why you MacK fan boys got so pissy in this thread.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
This is total bullshit. I watched every Avs PO game. Rantanen played his best game of the season during playoffs like he always does (and like MacK does) being physical, making giveaways for the opposition and making high danger opportunities for his linemates. He played most of the playoffs in 2nd line, but was still the 2nd best scorer in the team. I don't understand why you MacK fan boys got so pissy in this thread.
Rantanen started the playoffs playing crap hockey. He did pick it up and was key in the last two series. His usual great shot was completely missing all playoffs, so maybe there was an injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad