Proposal: COL/EDM

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Don't think this makes sense for either team. Barrie would be great in Edmonton...next to Klefblom...not instead of him; that pairing could do some major damage with a Nurse-Larsson pairing handling the toughest defensive responsibilites. They shouldn't move Klef when his value's at its lowest and when he can be part of a younger core that McDavid can contend with well into the 2020s.

Doesn't make sense for the avs either since Zadorov is our Nurse and Girard is a special talent, so the left side of the Avs top 4 should be locked up for the forseeable future. I'd love to complete the left side of our D with Klef, but that's not something you give up a piece like Barrie for when the top 4 looks set.

Barrie; if he is eventually traded; needs to be used for a bluechip forward who hasn't yet fully broken through...a la Marner or Puljujarvi...or he should be added to for an established young star that we can build a second scoring line around that takes some pressure off of the MacK line; something like Barrie + Jost/Kerfoot + 1st + NHLer (Soderberg retained or Andrighetto?) for a monster like Draisaitl or Stone.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I wouldn't trade Klefbom alone for Barrie let alone add a 1st.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Oilers shouldn't trade Klefbolm while his value is so low and no he is not getting a player of Barrie's caliber at his current value.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I mean obviously there is context. I'm not saying they are equal point producers. But I'm saying they are close enough, that when you consider all other factors, it's a bad deal for the Oilers.

Klefbom is on pace for 22 points this year.

Barrie is on pace for 60 points this year, and was tied for the league lead in D scoring before he broke his hand.

Again, I don't disagree that Klefbom is probably more valuable, all things considered. He just isn't "close enough" to Barrie that using offensive production helps his case at all.

Dkers77

Dkers77
Dec 11, 2017
Actually my first proposal included a 2nd, not a first...but I hit backspace in disgust of the Oilers season and included a 1st knowing how shrewd Sakic is...after last big deal.
I'd be super reluctant to give up the 2019 first as well for the record, cause Oil need to stock the cupboards...but perhaps deal involves another roster player that kill penalties coming back to EDM as well, but ultimately who knows what would get it done?

Seems like some Avs fans are suggesting they want Puljujarvi... a starboard winger where Oilers are already weak...though I'd still consider it, there would likely have to be more salary going out for Oil to sign Barrie.

Some have also suggested Girard plays left defense...if so, my bad. I was under impression he was a lefty playing on the right side as many do... in which case a deal involving Puljujarvi may make more sense...

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Barrie is probably our 4th option for a defenseman. I would only consider him if the other options run dry. And I wouldn't add a 1st to Klefbom either. I'd do Sekera and the 2019 first if he would waive his no trade clause. I might do Klefbom and a couple of lesser assets. But no way would I sell that low on Klefbom for a slight upgrade on the blueline.

If Klefbom is moved, it'll be for a scoring winger like Mike Hoffman, not another d-man. I hope that doesn't happen either, but it's more realstic.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
With the way Edm season going, y'all should just trade them back Yak to watch the fans melt

f*** that noise. Yak is being groomed to replace Bernie as the team's official mascot once there's enough talent not to need him on the ice; and terri has the potential to be a generational mascot.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I don't know why Oiler fans are so enamoured with Barrie. He is not a good Defenseman. He is essentially a Klefbom with slightly better offense and is just as bad defensively. The guy would be our whipping boy within weeks. The more things change, the more they stay the same with the Oilers. Making the same mistakes over and over again and expecting different results.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I don't know why Oiler fans are so enamoured with Barrie. He is not a good Defenseman. He is essentially a Klefbom with slightly better offense and is just as bad defensively. The guy would be our whipping boy within weeks. The more things change, the more they stay the same with the Oilers. Making the same mistakes over and over again and expecting different results.

Apparently 60 points is now only considered "slightly better" than 22 points. :huh:

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
The difference between the offence is a lot wider than slightly. Barrie has 222 points in 380 games while Klefbom has 87 in 240 games, that’s a massive difference when discussing defencmen. Even last year, a great year for the oilers where they scored 243 goals, and a disaster year for the avs where they scored a brutal 165 goals, Barrie and Klefbom were tied in points but Barrie did it in 8 fewer games. Barrie has been on pace for over 40 points for his last 5 seasons (a number Klefbom has never been on pace for), has a 53 point season (as well as a 49 point season the next year, almost back to back 50 point years), and is on pace for over 60 points this year. He is currently on pace to out score the entire oilers team this year sans mcdavid and Draisaitl. Your post reeks of ignorance.

Reactions: cgf

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The difference between the offence is a lot wider than slightly. Barrie has 222 points in 380 games while Klefbom has 87 in 240 games, that’s a massive difference when discussing defencmen. Even last year, a great year for the oilers where they scored 243 goals, and a disaster year for the avs where they scored a brutal 165 goals, Barrie and Klefbom were tied in points but Barrie did it in 8 fewer games. Barrie has been on pace for over 40 points for his last 5 seasons (a number Klefbom has never been on pace for), has a 53 point season (as well as a 49 point season the next year, almost back to back 50 point years), and is on pace for over 60 points this year. He is currently on pace to out score the entire oilers team this year sans mcdavid and Draisaitl. Your post reeks of ignorance.

And RNH had he not been hurt.

The rest of this post is bang on.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Plus the rumors of Barrie's demise against the puck have been exaggerated. His size provides certain limitations, but when he's focused and in his grove he's a completely competent player in his own zone who can use his skating & skill effectively to get the puck back for his team; before launching a counter attack and doing the things that make him special.

His most common partners have been Holden, Guenin and now Nemeth. Give him someone like Klefblom instead and he could have the best season of his career...a career that could soon include a 60 point campaign...

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Actually no, Barrie even has a higher ppg than RNH. They both have 31 points, but Barrie has done it in 4 fewer games.

You're right, they're both at 31 points but Barrie did it in 4 less games. It's a shame Nuge got hurt... I wonder where he'd be right now for points. He looked great this year.

Reactions: cgf

Dkers77

Dkers77
Dec 11, 2017
Seems like an overpayment with that first rounder. And Avs are in a playoff push, why do they do it? Oilers can address RHD in the off season.
Wasn't suggesting it necessarily be now...when Avs are still in it. It would be more of a summer deal I would think as well...

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Barrie is a defenseman, not a forward...

...and don't you need both?
We need our defensemen to stop underachieving (Sekera due to injury, Klefbom due to who knows what - probably injury too). If you have those two guys playing at where they should then our defense needs what its needed since 2006 - a legitimate #1. And despite his point totals, I don't like Barrie's all around game enough to say he's a legitimate #1.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We need our defensemen to stop underachieving (Sekera due to injury, Klefbom due to who knows what - probably injury too). If you have those two guys playing at where they should then our defense needs what its needed since 2006 - a legitimate #1. And despite his point totals, I don't like Barrie's all around game enough to say he's a legitimate #1.

True that. But short of adding that true #1, I think Barrie could be the best fit for your D that might be on the move. Just clearing the crease for Tyson and letting Barrie tee him up; with Nurse-Larsson handling the hardest minutes like your Zadorov-EJ; should be a great way to rebuild Klefblom's form. Then when Sekera was fully fit agian you'd have a great start to your third pairing as well. No true #1, but 3 good #2s and couple good middle pairing guys that should give you a very nice and versatile blueline behind McDavid & co. :dunno:

If you can get a trouba instead then do that, but I dunno where else you'll find a true #1 unless Nurse just keeps improving or the lotto gods hook you up with Dahlin...which you'd know before any hypothetical Barrie trade made sense for Colorado; because we shouldn't move him until the draft at the very soonest, despite Zadorov & Girard's ascensions this season. Maybe next year those two & EJ are enough to anchor our blue line until Makar / Meloche / Timmins are ready to contribute; but not now, not with the season MacK's having and our playoff hopes being within grasp.

...but this may just be because I've spent way too much time thinking about how many different avs would help that Oilers team while watching Leon...and fantasizing about Chia chia'ing him to us...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad