Cogliano lighting it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
How do people see Cogliano adjusting to the NHL game in a few years? Will he likely remain at centre for his career or will he make the transition to the wing?

Oiltown16

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Cerebral said:
How do people see Cogliano adjusting to the NHL game in a few years? Will he likely remain at centre for his career or will he make the transition to the wing?

I think it will all depend on how the Oilers look when he comes into the NHL.

Oilers1*

BobMckenzie said:
Of those two, he's more like Kariya than Gionta, but I'm not sure he's really like either of them. Not the pure finisher that Kariya is, but Cogs will still get his goals. Best part of his game, outside of the world class speed, is his vision and playmaking ability, but like I said he's a good goal scorer too. He's at his very best when he does all of that and goes hard on the puck, sticks his nose in there. He's a better open ice player (go figure, with all that speed) but he has the ability get involved, win battles and compete as hard as, say, Brent Sutter would expect a player to compete, and when he does that, then it's, Wow! Not big but strong, low centre of gravity, very explosive not just with his speed but his strength too. If you haven't figured it out yet, I really like him. :D

I know these comparisons get overdone but as someone who has never seen Cogliano play. . .I read this and think, 'Martin St Louis'.

Is that a fair comparison in terms of playing style?

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Those who have seen him, what do you guys think his NHL potential is?

Also how does his season so far compare to other 1st rounders like Zajac and Chucko who made the jump from tier 2 to college?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
MrMastodonFarm said:
Cogliano is going to be a player, good pick by the Oilers, and probably should be the one getting hyped not Schremp JDD etc etc etc etc.. but to say that is insane.

Why shouldn't Schremp be getting hyped??? Have you seen what he's currently doing in London??? JDD I can certainly agree on, but why can't we be raving about both Cogliano and Schremp??? Both have the potential to change the face of the Edmonton Oilers for many years to come.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Bryanbryoil said:
Why shouldn't Schremp be getting hyped??? Have you seen what he's currently doing in London??? JDD I can certainly agree on, but why can't we be raving about both Cogliano and Schremp??? Both have the potential to change the face of the Edmonton Oilers for many years to come.
This will be my first and last post on this because this is a thread about Cogliano, but Schremp doesn't have the skating or strenth to be an NHL player, good for him for putting up more points in junior though.

Cogliano might not have the size, but he has the strenth and speed(and then some) to become an effective NHL player.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MrMastodonFarm said:
This will be my first and last post on this because this is a thread about Cogliano, but Schremp doesn't have the skating or strenth to be an NHL player, good for him for putting up more points in junior though.

Cogliano might not have the size, but he has the strenth and speed(and then some) to become an effective NHL player.

Right..............

Sammy*

Rabid Ranger said:
Right..............
I must say, what a ridiculous statement by Mr. Flame fan.
In my previous life I thought he was somewhat rationale.
Thats not to say Schremp will be any good, but its a pretty stupid thing to say at this juncture of a guys career.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sammy said:
I must say, what a ridiculous statement by Mr. Flame fan.
In my previous life I thought he was somewhat rationale.
Thats not to say Schremp will be any good, but its a pretty stupid thing to say at this juncture of a guys career.

From what I can tell he's pretty anti-Schremp, so it's no surprise he'd make a statement like that. One thing's for certain though, Cogliano isn't exactly a sure bet either. He has his share of deficiencies.

Dallas

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
From what I can tell he's pretty anti-Schremp, so it's no surprise he'd make a statement like that. One thing's for certain though, Cogliano isn't exactly a sure bet either. He has his share of deficiencies.

Just out of curiosity, in your opinion what are Cogliano's deficiencies?

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Guy Flaming said:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac
Yes his trade value is going up isn't it I will wait till after the World Junior Championships to deal him in my FHL league

Guy Flaming: *******!

Haha, I took some guy named Crosby in that draft.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
yeah there is no garantee that schremp or cogs will be able to make the NHL, or that their games will transfer very well either..... but you can only play in the league your in, and both of them are doing quite well..... ill worry about whether they can have this success in the NHL once they are actually *in* the NHL..... to guess about these things, as history has proven, is tricky business at best

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:

If there's a spot for Kyle Wellwood in the NHL, I'm pretty sure Schremp at least might be able to find a niche.

Hooter

Apr 27, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
Not a ton, but he's no ace in the defensive zone and he's pretty slightly built.

Yeah and how many "defensive aces" will you find at his age, with his offensive talents. They are few and far between. His defense is not something that will hold him back, and is actually pretty good compared to many guys around his age who are known for their offense. You are really reaching here for any kind of knock you can get on him. WIth the way the NHL is going, his size is becoming less and less of a issue.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hooter said:
Yeah and how many "defensive aces" will you find at his age, with his offensive talents. They are few and far between. His defense is not something that will hold him back, and is actually pretty good compared to many guys around his age who are known for their offense. You are really reaching here for any kind of knock you can get on him. WIth the way the NHL is going, his size is becoming less and less of a issue.

Are you suggesting he's without flaws? If that was the case he would have been a much higher draft pick.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
Schremp and Cogliano are both lighting up their respective leagues. Are they in the NHl yet? Nope, so lets compare them to their peers. Schremp is head and shoulders better then 99% of the players in the OHL this year, he is 19 years old and compared to others his age he is incredible. Cogliano is a freshman and is seemingly scoring at will in the NCAA after just joining the league. He is 4 points away from leading the NCAA. He is obviously one of the best players in the NCAA never mind one of the best rookies. None of this means they will ever make the NHL, but in the past few years there have not been many players that have put up these kind of numbers at this point in their careers. So let's call a spade a spade, Schremp is an amazing hockey player and is clearly dominating the OHL, Cogliano has been doing very well lately and has shown the skills to dominate the NCAA, compared to their peers, I would say they are both doing incredibly well. They both have faults, but they are two very very skilled players and when rating them against their competition I would say they are pretty good.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
rigger said:
Schremp and Cogliano are both lighting up their respective leagues. Are they in the NHl yet? Nope, so lets compare them to their peers. Schremp is head and shoulders better then 99% of the players in the OHL this year, he is 19 years old and compared to others his age he is incredible. Cogliano is a freshman and is seemingly scoring at will in the NCAA after just joining the league. He is 4 points away from leading the NCAA. He is obviously one of the best players in the NCAA never mind one of the best rookies. None of this means they will ever make the NHL, but in the past few years there have not been many players that have put up these kind of numbers at this point in their careers. So let's call a spade a spade, Schremp is an amazing hockey player and is clearly dominating the OHL, Cogliano has been doing very well lately and has shown the skills to dominate the NCAA, compared to their peers, I would say they are both doing incredibly well. They both have faults, but they are two very very skilled players and when rating them against their competition I would say they are pretty good.

Something both Cogliano and Schremp have in common is they both play on powerhouse teams that are arguably the best in their respective leagues (the NCAA and the OHL). While individual players and stats aren't entirely dependant on being in great situations to thrive, it certainly helps.

Hooter

Apr 27, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
Are you suggesting he's without flaws? If that was the case he would have been a much higher draft pick.

He's not exactly what I'd consider to be the complete package player, but his defense at this point is hardly a issue. He certainly isn't the type of player one looks at, and says to themself, well he has some good offensive skills, but his defensive game makes me think twice about whether or not he is worth taking a chance on. fact is, he killed penalities in St Mikes last year, and was one of their go to guys in all situations. I'm sure those that have watched him play regulary can verify that, and I'm sure Michigan will look to build on that. Why wouldn't they?

Had he played in the O chances are he would have been a much higher draft pick. Easily the most underrated forward of last years draft, from the beginning of last year, until the time the draft was held. He then starts lighting it up in the NCAA and people finally begin to come around. Obviously he still has a long way to go, but I'd say he has raised his stock compared to this time last year, which is kind of funny considering the player isn't what changed, it's the league that has changed. If defense really is what would hold this player back, then I have to question the inconsistencies in the scouts out there and wonder why then is your golden boy Kessell being touted as this years #1 overall pick. I can tell you one thing, Cogliano is better defensively then Kessell.

Last edited:

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Jason MacIsaac said:
Yes his trade value is going up isn't it :) I will wait till after the World Junior Championships to deal him in my FHL league ;)
I have dealt him already in my FHL league, i got Lecavalier for him and Dumont.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hooter said:
He's not exactly what I'd consider to be the complete package player, but his defense at this point is hardly a issue. He certainly isn't the type of player one looks at, and says to themself, well he has some good offensive skills, but his defensive game makes me think twice about whether or not he is worth taking a chance on. fact is, he killed penalities in St Mikes last year, and was one of their go to guys in all situations. I'm sure those that have watched him play regulary can verify that, and I'm sure Michigan will look to build on that. Why wouldn't they?

Had he played in the O chances are he would have been a much higher draft pick. Easily the most underrated forward of last years draft, from the beginning of last year, until the time the draft was held. He then starts lighting it up in the NCAA and people finally begin to come around. Obviously he still has a long way to go, but I'd say he has raised his stock compared to this time last year, which is kind of funny considering the player isn't what changed, it's the league that has changed. If defense really is what would hold this player back, then I have to question the inconsistencies in the scouts out there and wonder why then is your golden boy Kessell being touted as this years #1 overall pick. I can tell you one thing, Cogliano is better defensively then Kessell.

My only point is he has a long way to go. Cogliano has had a great start to his college career, and he is a tremendous talent. He's still far from a sure thing at the next level, which is the case for most prospects.

Fists of Fuhry

Jun 26, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Something both Cogliano and Schremp have in common is they both play on powerhouse teams that are arguably the best in their respective leagues (the NCAA and the OHL). While individual players and stats aren't entirely dependant on being in great situations to thrive, it certainly helps.

I don't know about Michigan but certainly the London knights are nowhere near powerhouse status without Schremp this year - maybe they were a powerhouse last year but most of that core has moved on.

SirMcJesusThe1st

Jul 10, 2003
Edmonton
Rabid Ranger said:

*Edit- didn't see the post above mine

Looking at it from another perspective though, aren't Schremp and Cogliano both fairly big reasons their teams are currently "powerhouses"? If I recall correctly London was doing quite poorly before Schremp arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad