Cogliano lighting it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I'd be interested to see how Kessel would be fairing on Michigan right now. I've seen every Gopher game, and while it's clear Kessel isn't as prolific points-wise early on as I would have thought, his teammates have botched several gimmes off of his passes. I think once the team as a whole gets it together Kessel's numbers will jump considerably.

Kessel's playmaking abilities are underrated I think.

Kessel's "predicament" right now is very similar to what Jason Spezza went through a few years back. The hockey world expected him to be totally flawless during his draft year and every one of his miscues was magnified and so many were expecting so much more out of him. I remember that more than a few posters on this board were calling him a flop and a player who was too slow and soft for the NHL. Of course you won't find any of those posters today but Kessel is going through the same type of scrutiny.

Everyone expected him to roar out of the gate and average at least 3pts a game and put up Karyia type numbers. The fact that he has been one of the best Gophers has seemed to escape a lot people but I can understand why. Remember, this kid was supposed to be the next Crosby, heck even better than him. That was an unrealistic expectation and now suddenly you have people questioning whether he truly deserves the number one ranking.

I think that once his team gets off the booze (sorry couldn't resist) and starts playing as a team, Kessel's points will increase and he will regain some of that luster that he has apparently lost. He is just to good of a player not to.

As for Cogs though, he was a vastly underrated player who is indeed proving to be Kessel's equal.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
VOB said:
Kessel's playmaking abilities are underrated I think.

Kessel's "predicament" right now is very similar to what Jason Spezza went through a few years back. The hockey world expected him to be totally flawless during his draft year and every one of his miscues was magnified and so many were expecting so much more out of him. I remember that more than a few posters on this board were calling him a flop and a player who was too slow and soft for the NHL. Of course you won't find any of those posters today but Kessel is going through the same type of scrutiny.

Everyone expected him to roar out of the gate and average at least 3pts a game and put up Karyia type numbers. The fact that he has been one of the best Gophers has seemed to escape a lot people but I can understand why. Remember, this kid was supposed to be the next Crosby, heck even better than him. That was an unrealistic expectation and now suddenly you have people questioning whether he truly deserves the number one ranking.

I think that once his team gets off the booze (sorry couldn't resist) and starts playing as a team, Kessel's points will increase and he will regain some of that luster that he has apparently lost. He is just to good of a player not to.

As for Cogs though, he was a vastly underrated player who is indeed proving to be Kessel's equal.

A very fair assessment. As for Kessel vs Cogliano, I can't really disagree, although I think Kessel is a bit more explosive.

Sammy*

Jason MacIsaac said:
I doubt it, Parise was tearing the NCAA way more then Cogliano after opting out of his original draft year and he still went closer to 20 in a strong draft.
Three things.
1) Wasnt Parise a whole lot older in his first year of college than Cogliano?
2) While I dunno if this is applicable in this case, the quality of a team & the style of coaching has an awful lot to do with ones production. In other words, stats often can be misleading.
4) As you know,often, for a variety of reasons, one guys game translates much better to the NHL, notwithstanding them having similar stats. Often, even the guy who has worse stats game translates better.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Sammy said:
Three things.
1) Wasnt Parise a whole lot older in his first year of college than Cogliano?
2) While I dunno if this is applicable in this case, the quality of a team & the style of coaching has an awful lot to do with ones production. In other words, stats often can be misleading.
4) As you know,often, for a variety of reasons, one guys game translates much better to the NHL, notwithstanding them having similar stats. Often, even the guy who has worse stats game translates better.
1.) The question was if Cogliano opted out of last years draft and entered this years draft would he go top 5, that would make him a full year older then this years class. The same situation Parise was in.

2.) North Dakota has allways been a defense first type school, even with Parise on board. Just he was involved in almost every ND goal.

3.) Fairly similar players, Cogliano is faster and Parise probably smarter.

elphy101

Nov 8, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:
I doubt it, Parise was tearing the NCAA way more then Cogliano after opting out of his original draft year and he still went closer to 20 in a strong draft.

Not sure I can agree with that statement as in his first year Parise averaged 1.54 points per game in the NCAA. As of right now, Cogliano is averaging 1.66 points per game and that is including the first 3 games where he struggled and went pointless. On top of that, the majority of Parise's points came in the second half when he was finally started adjusting to the NCAA.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
I think Parise is probably a fair comparison... they're going at about the same point clip at the moment.

However I think in a normal draft Parise would have easily gone top 10... he was in an absolutely stacked draft - and he slipped too low even for that draft. I have no idea how high he would have gone in 2006 - but I think top 8 is not unreasonable IMO.

I just hope Cogs's game translated better to the NHL than Parise's seems to be doing.

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
elphy101 said:
On top of that, the majority of Parise's points came in the second half when he was finally started adjusting to the NCAA.

Look again... Parise freshman game-by-game stats

Parise was hot up until the end of January. There seems to be more games with "0" in the latter half of the season than first half.

Also, whoever asked the question below, Parise was 18 years old as a freshman (7/28/84 birthdate, freshman year was fall 2002). Cogliano is the same, actually about a month older when he started college.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
oil slick said:
I think Parise is probably a fair comparison... they're going at about the same point clip at the moment.

However I think in a normal draft Parise would have easily gone top 10... he was in an absolutely stacked draft - and he slipped too low even for that draft. I have no idea how high he would have gone in 2006 - but I think top 8 is not unreasonable IMO.

I just hope Cogs's game translated better to the NHL than Parise's seems to be doing.

I don't think Parise's struggles are that unusual for a rookie. It's not like he's been completely overmatched, he just hasn't produced they way he did in Albany last year. I would be surprised if Cogliano didn't battle the same things when he attempts to make the Oilers.

Sammy*

Jason MacIsaac said:
1.) The question was if Cogliano opted out of last years draft and entered this years draft would he go top 5, that would make him a full year older then this years class. The same situation Parise was in.
I dont think that was the question but it doesnt really matter.
The one thing I'll say, its not as if scouts & teams, if they have much intelligence at all, dont take they guys birthdate into consideration & factor it in when drafting. I have trouble believing that if a day seperates two guys apart, with one getting drafted one year earlier than the other, it has any real impact on the guys draft position, other than development or lack of it in the next year & the qualty of the competing draftess. In other words, all other things been equal, I have trouble believing that if Cogliano was born a bit later in the year , he would be drafted materially earlier.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
BobMckenzie said:
there's probably not a lot to choose between him and Cogs. .
Bob, no disrespect here, as I am a huge fan of yours and Cogliano, but shouldn't you end all posts about Cogs with "My son was his linemate and I am close to his family" etc?

Cogliano is going to be a player, good pick by the Oilers, and probably should be the one getting hyped not Schremp JDD etc etc etc etc.. but to say that is insane.

SerbianEagle

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Cogliano is going to be a player, good pick by the Oilers, and probably should be the one getting hyped not Schremp JDD etc etc etc etc.. but to say that is insane.

Why is it insane? Because you happen to be riding the Kessel bandwagon. You even attack probably the best sports guy in Canada.

I for one will take Bob's opinion over yours anytime.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
I don't think Parise's struggles are that unusual for a rookie. It's not like he's been completely overmatched, he just hasn't produced they way he did in Albany last year. I would be surprised if Cogliano didn't battle the same things when he attempts to make the Oilers.

Probably not unusual - you are right.

In truth I have only watched 1 Devils game this year - so I couldn't even comment on how he's looked, as stats are often a little misleading.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
SerbianEagle said:
Why is it insane? Because you happen to be riding the Kessel bandwagon. You even attack probably the best sports guy in Canada.

I respect McKenzie's opinion a great deal but it's no secret of his connection to the Cogliano family. Draw your own conclusions.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
SerbianEagle said:

How did I attack Bob? Because I asked him to state is bias? (not saying he was attemping to hiding it btw). Please, don't be try to cause a stir. Nor was I saying anyone should substitute my opinon for Bob's.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
MrMastodonFarm said:
How did I attack Bob? Because I asked him to state is bias? (not saying he was attemping to hiding it btw). Please, don't be try to cause a stir. Nor was I saying anyone should substitute my opinon for Bob's.

To be fair - I think most posters have great attachments to teams and individual players here. Should Jason MacIssac have to say that he worships Parise before he comments on him? Should I have to say I love the Oilers before commenting on players?

Bob likes Cogliano - that is clear... I guess because he represents media - he should comment on any bias... but really the media and players are so interrelated that the vast majority of comments on players you read are biased in one weay or another.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
MrMastodonFarm said:

No offence taken, not a problem. But I will say this. My suggestion that Cogliano and Kessel may be a lot closer, let's call it of the same universe, is not based on my friendship with the Cogliano's, but more on the basis of talking to people who have watched the 1987-born class from their days as little guys to the present and there are many of them who will tell you that Cogliano never took a backseat to Kessel at any time in their development. Not in terms of stats or play. Even though they are of different draft classes, there's only four months separating them and, in my objective as opposed to biased opinion (I can turn it on and off like a tap... :D ), there isn't a lot separating them as future NHL stars and I think we'll see that play itself out over the next few years.

I'm not sure everyone fully understands this, but in my position, I can't afford to let friendships or personal feelings cloud my judgment. If I didn't honestly think Andrew is in the same universe as Kessel, I would just say nothing. I said it not because of any affiliation with Cogliano, but because I believe it. Emphatically. We'll see, though.

espo*

VOB said:
Cogs and Kessel make for a very interesting comparison. Three years ago, at the age of 16, many hockey pundits had Cogs rated ahead of Kessel but Cogs decision to pursue the tier II path pushed him from the limelight. He seems to be back now with a vengeance and his play seems to be suggesting that perhaps the pundits were on the mark after all.

I have seen Cogs play on a couple of occasions but my assessment of him was always tempered by the fact that he was playing with and against "inferior" competition (I hate to use that term because there are many many fine players in the OPJHL but it is a step below from what the NTDP plays against) but one thing that was evident was his pure speed. It was every bit as explosive, heck probably more explosive than Kessel's! The only thing I think Kessel has over him is his shot but Cogs, who is a bit smaller, plays a lot bigger than Kessel.
More explosive then kessel? I've really gotta get to see this kid,he sounds great.

Hooter

Apr 27, 2005
I dont know about the Parise comparision really. They may have some similarities but I just never thought of Cogliano as a Parise type of player. When I seen Cogliano play with St Mikes last year, he kind of reminded me of Gaborik a little. He may never reach the level of Gaborik, but he is just one of those guys who's explosiveness causes you to take notice. From the moment he picks up the puck your eyes are glued to him because you are looking for him to make something happen. I dont know what player he will be comparable to at the next level, I just know he's a flat out game breaker.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
It would be great to hear some first-person accounts on Cogs play in Michigan. Is he really dominating, or has he simply been converting on more of his chances? Does he really look better than Hensick at the same age? Does he look better than Hensick now? As usual, the stats only tell a bit of the story (if that much).

Sammy*

Rabid Ranger said:
I respect McKenzie's opinion a great deal but it's no secret of his connection to the Cogliano family. Draw your own conclusions.
Thats why Mr. Flame fans post was stupid. Anyone who has a clue knows that.
And for that matter,do you think that you, Mr. Flame fan & everyone else should always caveat their opinion with how they might be biased?
I thought so.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
comparisons to kessel and parise aside, (though they *are* fun arent they? :)) im just happy to see that cogs is having some success in the NCAA.... hes seems to be adjusting nicely to the college game, albeit on a very good michigan team.... so hes taken a step up from teir 2 to NCAA without really missing a beat, and thats pretty impressive.... we'll see how he does in the WJC against even better talent (assuming he makes the team)

from a more biased approach, im *very* happy to see 2 1st round draft picks in a row producing well for the oilers (schremp and cogs).... when was the last time that happened? maybe 93/94 with arnott and smyth? (im *not* saying either schremp or cogs will end up being anywhere near as good as those two, im just commenting that its been a long time since edmonton has had a few good years of drafting in a row).... an argument could be made that this is really 3 years in a row that our 1st rounder has turned out good, with pouliot in 03, but im not 100% sold on him yet, and will reserve my judgement until after his first AHL season is done

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Sammy said:
everyone else should always caveat their opinion with how they might be biased?
I thought so.
A very respected media member whose opinon carries alot of weight? You bet!

A internet message board schlub like yourself? Nope.

By the way, thanks for the clarification Bob. Didn't get offended and I appreciate that.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
elphy101 said:
Not sure I can agree with that statement as in his first year Parise averaged 1.54 points per game in the NCAA. As of right now, Cogliano is averaging 1.66 points per game and that is including the first 3 games where he struggled and went pointless. On top of that, the majority of Parise's points came in the second half when he was finally started adjusting to the NCAA.
I am talking about starts....PPG totals will go down once playoffs hit and all. Parise was well over 2 PPG for the first chunk. I am not in any way saying Parise is a better prospect then Cogliano, personally I like Cogliano much more then Parise and Bergfors who NJ picked ahead of him.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Jason MacIsaac said:
I am talking about starts....PPG totals will go down once playoffs hit and all. Parise was well over 2 PPG for the first chunk.
Okay okay okay, Parise is very good, and so is Cogliano, we get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad