Post-Game Talk: Cody Crybabies Beat Final Boss Doughty

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Thats more like it!
One of the best games they have played since 2024 started. Only the last 6 minutes of the 3rd was a bit of an issue because the Kings had almost full puck possession.
Aside from that it was a solid game.
Skinner looked very confident...made some outstanding saves.
Drai looked much better as well especially on the back check.
McDaivd with an amazing (looked intentional) knockdown with the shaft of his stick on his goal.

I cant recall a single passenger in this game. Everyone was engaged. Loved the physicality.
Even though he didnt score I thought Kane had a very strong game.
The Oilers seem to have an answer for the 1-3-1.
Not at all worried about the Kings in the playoffs.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
View attachment 842981

Hot Ref Wife for the win!
We were at the game and my buddy and I saw that and commented too. Good eye! Too bad her husband doesn't have the same good set of eyes doing his job, as he does selecting women.

I like when Skinner looks like an NHL goaltender. It should happen more often.
He's trying man, he's trying. Nice sort of backhand compliment, but we'll take it.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
The Oilers looked like cup contenders last night. But they need that sort of performance more consistently.

Side note: the Oilers are in striking distance of Fraudcouver. I'm really looking forward to that game against those clowns.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I still havent watched replay. Sounds like Vinny needs to come out and Stetcher in?
I don’t know why Vinny is playing with that broken finger. Wasn’t the whole point of getting a defensemen was in case of injuries? So far, total waste of an asset

I don't understand why blackouts still exist it makes me so angry (as someone that doesn't even have a subscription to anything too!)
It’s stupid. The NHL can’t seem to out of their own way to grow the game

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Oilers played really well defensively like I said earlier. Kings didn't have a lot going until the Oilers started hanging back.

Oilers got a bit lucky when Dubois wrap around didn't go in.

But again masterful defending. I could point 20 plays tonight Drai made in own zone AND he got 3 assists. If anybody was on him in this GDT they should go to a doctor.

Drai was the best Oiler.

McD made some own zone turnovers towards end of game with it 3-1.

Nuge with a bad shift change leading to the Kings one goal. Something he's toned down but still occurring.
Dubois was useless, there was no luck involved in any of his plays.

Anyone ragging on Skinner should see a doctor. He was awesome. Can't believe someone would make a post on the game and not mention him once.

And Nuge has nothing to do with the Kings goal. It was an unfortunate muff by Ekholm and nothing more. Maybe Nuge should watch your latest hero Kostin for some defensive tips.:laugh:

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Team needs to play Stetcher down the stretch to figure out what they have/don't have with that Nurse pairing. If there's a fit there then neither Ceci or Desharnais have to be in the top 4 come playoff time, which would be huge.
Oilers don’t like to do that sort of thing. They are kind of figure out as you go type organization.

I may get burned for this- but they also need to see what they have in Campbell before buying him out. Working with Sylvain Rodrigue, who seems to be our own goalie whisperer, may have changed his mentality.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not sure if this is criticsm? Was a smart play and he got the chest bump in there after getting inside position on Danault, one of the best active forward defenders in the world.

Henrique with 3 goals as an OIler already and 21 on the season. Are people still getting on him? He's been fine. I like him with Draisaitl. Two very smart players.

Drai with an absolutely filthy pass to Henrique in third period. That almost was another goal.
Meh....Henrique is okay, but he ain't no Kostin.:D

Last edited:

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Vegas will add Hertl and Stone (and Hill) to their playoff roster, whereas the Kings iced their playoff team last night.
With the negative fan noise surrounding cap circumvention I think Vegas may wait until the second round to cheat and ice a full 110M dollar roster. I don't think fans would stand for 2 star players ready to go for game one of round one.

Vegas could add a star player halfway through the first round then another star player sometime during the second round. Then the sycophantic media can broadcast "look, no cheaty NHL honest... sour grapes and every NHL team should compete like Vegas. We've heard this "growing the game" bullshit rhetoric from all NHL media more than one can stomach.

Therefore we may want to face Vegas in the first round. f*** it, bring on the Golden Knights.

Reactions: Biltmore

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
PLD was fine. Flew by Desharnais setting up 2-1 and got a good shot off. Brilliant pass to Kempe minutes left that was Draiesque. Kempe should have done better with that. PLD almost scored on the wrap around. PLD had 3 crucial zone exits for the Kings including on the shift Oilers had them hemmed in for over a minute. On same shift it was PLD hitting McD preventing another GA. PLD also went after Kane, only King to do so. PLD also involved in the cycle the only goal the Kings scored tonight.

Dubois was +1 in a 4-1 loss.

This guy was very active. I get that people don't like him but he was far from any problem for Kings tonight. Fialla and Kempe were nothing tonight. Kings top line were -2. That can't happen for them to have any chance.

Kings have to work on lines as loading first line isn't working. Soon as they put Byfield and PLD together in third it was working.
"Draiesque"?? :laugh::laugh::laugh::thumbd::huh:

With negative fan based talk surrounding cap circumvention I think Vegas may wait until the second round to cheat and ice a full 110M dollar roster. I don't think fans would stand for 2 star players ready to go for game one of round one.

Vegas could add a star player halfway through the first round then another star player sometime during the second round. Then the sycophantic media can broadcast "look, no cheaty NHL honest... sour grapes and every NHL team should compete like Vegas. We've heard this "growing the game" bullshit rhetoric from all NHL media more than one can stomach.

Therefore we may want to face Vegas in the first round. f*** it, bring on the Golden Knights.
Or, they could get knocked out in the first round, and their stars in waiting will be good to go for the first tee box.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
LA has an easier schedule than Vegas down the stretch and has a game in hand . Nonetheless, Vegas has been playing well as of late so it will be a battle.
Huh? In March Vegas have lost to Columbus, Buffalo, Vancouver, Calgary, Tampa, Nahville.

So that going into Winnipeg game last night Vegas had won 6 games and lost 6 games Bettman pts config notwithstanding. The Knights were outplayed badly last night and won a game against grain it was a 2-1 W with two empty net goals giving the final score another appearance. The Knights were outshot 30-13 in last two periods and somehow staked out the winning goal.

Only playoff team Knights have beat in March was Winnipeg last night, a game they fully deserved to lose.

The knights schedule had them play 9/12 games in March so far against non playoff clubs. They should be doing better than they are.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oilers don’t like to do that sort of thing. They are kind of figure out as you go type organization.

I may get burned for this- but they also need to see what they have in Campbell before buying him out. Working with Sylvain Rodrigue, who seems to be our own goalie whisperer, may have changed his mentality.
Not sure about this. Holland has pretty much guaranteed Broberg a 3 game look in the last 10 games. I'm sure Stecher will get a couple looks as well.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Skinner played great. He will have to be consistently like that if there is any chance of going deep in the playoffs. Vinny D is our worst dman by a lot. He has looked bad since his fight/injury.

I dont know why they insisted on rushing him back, he was practicing the next day and only missed 1 or 2 games? At his best he’s a fine d-man, but he needs to be at his best to contribute. Why risk slowing the healing / developing bad habits to compensate when Stecher was doing fine and needs games too. Seems silly given the stage of the season we’re at.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I still havent watched replay. Sounds like Vinny needs to come out and Stetcher in?
I would say so. Vinny was the only D the Kings were burning with any consistency. PLD alone blew his doors off a couple times getting around him on rushes. Ceci had a better game, even before scoring it was for some reason a good Ceci game.

Desharnais was the one lacking.

It also makes no sense at all for the Oilers NOT to be looking at Stecher in playoffs. I mean he essentially has the LA playbook, which hasn't changed much since his time there. He might have some wrinkles to work against it. But he's flat out better than Desharnais.

Also WTF is it with Desharnais screaming at officials. Does it so often. Even screaming at an official that was honored with 1000 games last night. Bad look, but worse as I say officials remember that bs. Maybe its me but the way Desharnais approaches officials he rages on them. I wouldn't take kindly to that. Surprised he didn't get 2 for unsportsmanlike. its coming.

Desharnais alone for his defensive shortcomings is liability in playoffs. That he becomes completely unglued can result in a major penalty in playoffs.

Course its hard for me to have confidence in Desharnais composure under pressure when he's losing it even in regular season games.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
The only complaint I have is in the final 10 minutes, we really sat back and waited for the Kings to attack. I felt like we could have been a little more aggressive late in the game. Otherwise, we played one hell of a complete game. Skinner looks like the real deal.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Skinner did have a good game last night. Stopped everything he should. I don't think with Kaliyev walking into the shot like that and nailing it where he wanted that Skinner had any chance on that one. But as stated the Oilers were excellent in front of Skinner not only cleaning up lose pucks but in passing lanes, nullifying Kings breakout etc. Oilers also limited second shots and passes across.

Skinner also did a better job at getting his eye on point shots and looking around the screen. he made two stops like that on similar plays that beat him in Winnipeg game. One was labeled and he got it with glove hand. While having to look around Byfield mountain.

Skinner had an exchange with Doughty as well. You don't mind seeing that kind of cheek and normally I wouldnt but it is possible to get under Doughty's skin.

Would be remiss not to talk of how Kane did that yesterday and hammering Doughty with a killer hit just minutes into game. Doughty got up and smiled like he does but theres no way that didn't really hurt.

Kings likely in trouble if they keep with 1-3-1 in playoffs. It just won't work enough against our attack. Worse for the Kings is they get very little established against us offensively when they are not playing the games with initiative. Kings still shooting puck in on PP. lol The ghost of McLellan special continuing.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Dubois was useless, there was no luck involved in any of his plays.

Anyone ragging on Skinner should see a doctor. He was awesome. Can't believe someone would make a post on the game and not mention him once.

And Nuge has nothing to do with the Kings goal. It was an unfortunate muff by Ekholm and nothing more. Maybe Nuge should watch your latest hero Kostin for some defensive tips.:laugh:
Haha. Nugent Hopkins wins a board battle with two Kings players to clear the puck out of the Oilers zone. Mission accomplished and heads off on a line chance with puck at the far side of centre ice line. Unfortunately Ekholm scuffs a poor backend attempted rim to his d partner whose aggressively challenging the zone entry at blueline. Puck turns over for a quick high danger kill shot.

Saw the last two periods this morning. My favourite sequence was first 5 minutes of the third with Hyman involved in both. Loved the hard crosscheck he delivered on Anderson. Oil PK killed it without a shot on net. Hyman then draws a penalty and McDavid and Bouchard work their magic for an efficient PP goal.

Skinner the best goaltender in this game. Strong controlled movements, good body positioning and looked quick up and down as well with lateral post to post movement. Oil team d was solid excepting the Kings goal. The lines looked great. Line 1 is back and dominating. Line 2 was good and lucky with a Henrique net front chest bump goal (where he does his best finishing work) and I really like Line 3 with speed, smarts, and grease, McLean, Kane and Perry. Brown continues to build up his game with motor revving and some touch beginning to show.

Huge win and with control over an ugly team to watch. I was at the Canucks v Kings game Monday and watched them shutdown the Canuckles in a stifling road win including something like no shots on net for the first fifteen minutes of period 3.

Lots of great play throughout the line up.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So worth noting a day later that the Oilers beat the same Kings system that the Nucks and Zadorov were complaining so much about. Not a peep from them now I suspect.

Gonna be a glorious playoffs. Seeing Nucks lose in first round will be bonus to what Oilers get done. Seeing Kings knock out Nucks would make me laugh. Like 2012 the last time Kings were 8th spot and Nucks first place. I believe Nucks had Presidents Trophy that year and had visions of a repeat run after going to the SC final and losing the prior year. Kings sent them to the links.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Was at the game, and thoroughly enjoyed the intensity and our will to win being imposed on them.

- Skinner was solid throughout, and spectacular at times. Needed to be really good in the third to keep this one out of reach.

- Kane set the tone in the first minute or so, taking a big run at Doughty, and the team responded by aggressively killing the penalty. Love the way he and Perry work the other teams defence.

- the much maligned Codi Ceci had a really solid game, and was rewarded with an empty netter.

- Drai was a beast. Everyone knows when he moves his feet at the beginning of the game, it's going to be a good night for him. He was dialed in.

- McDavid was terrific as usual.

- on the Kings side, the big ticket items were invisible for the most part. Kempe, Kopitar and especially Dubois were really non factors. The Kings are going to regret that Dubois contract sooner than later, mark my words.

PLD looked like shit last night, why are we still going on and praising him about how good he is.
Only one person on here is praising him. He was garbage last night. Looked even worse close up, trust me.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Sounds like Holloway, Broberg maybe even RL will get some games.

should be interesting

Forward group is rounding into shape nicely. As the new guys Perry, Henrique, and Carrick have settled in it definitely looks like a much deeper group than last year, especially with Brown's game looking like it's coming around.
Carrick settled into the press box lol

All seriousness I hope he plays vs his old team on sat

Reactions: McDoused

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad