Post-Game Talk: Cody Crybabies Beat Final Boss Doughty

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
They blame Ekholm because he was the person attempting to put the puck up the boards to Bouchard but fanned on the backhand. It was a simple dump-in he had Bouchard on the boards for the backhand and he could have forehanded into the other corner and McLeod could have easily skated to it.

There are three other Oiler skaters in the picture when Ekholm first touched the puck. Perhaps his stick hit the boards before he was finished the pass that caused the puck to feebly bounce to the challenging King.

McLeod was going towards the other corner to provide a pass option and changed directions when Ekholm flubbed the pass.

This was a simple play the Ekholm muffed the pass on.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yep, I just counted he’s had 27 games over .920 save percentage this year.
21 games under .900. (Won 6 of them). Which obviously isn’t ideal but Hellebucyk has 18 games under .900 and most people would consider him a top tier goalie.
And a good chunk of the under .900 occurred when the team was a tirefire in the first 15 games.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Retracted. Fair enough.

But as I stated there was play that preceded this and problems getting out of zone that preceded. This was not a puck deep line change. It was a puck that was that was easily reversed and that the Kings sensed was a go play. So that meant Ekholm who bobbled puck (the one being blamed by others) did so possibly because he was sensing pressure iand that the Oilers that had changed on did not get back and offer puck support or coverage on time. This meant that Byfield was able to jump play and none of the forwards coming on had their man. PLD was left wide open as was Kaliyev. Kane and Mcleod busy watching the goal be scored.

Mcleod offering token bump on the forecheck not pretty either. He didn't even slow Byfield down.

If I'm a purist Hyman didn't pursue puck and impede pass up well enough. (yes he's a great player for us but didn't do the job on that play)

In anycase the one play shows how quickly things can go wrong but also in some way illustration of how few times there were any breakdowns from the Oilers. Hardly even bobbles other than that.
Team played an awesome game with no passengers, but as always, someone on here has to breakdown in detail one goal that was scored against us, and attempts to find other culprits after his first chosen random "victim" is cleared of any guilt. You really just need to stop already, digging the hole deeper and deeper. :thumbd:

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Team played and awesome game with no passengers, but as always, someone on here has to breakdown in detail one goal that was scored against us, and attempts to find other culprits after his first chosen random "victim" is cleared of any guilt. You really just need to stop already, digging the hole deeper and deeper. :thumbd:
By the end of the day it will be Brown's fault. ;)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I said Skinner had a great game wtf u on about. I said when he is on he is great he does have consistency it's his problem
You're merely being asked to explain/clarify your comment that" he's been more off than on this season." Which is eminently false. So far, nothing from you to back that up.

Last edited:

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
You're merely being asked to explain/clarify your comment that" he's been more off than on this season." Which is eminently false. So far, nothing from you to back that up.
Well 1 thing we agree with lol skinner has actually had a very good year, much more good games than bad. At beginning of year our team defense was so bad that the best goalie to ever play would look bad. I give skinner a B plus for the year. These Playoffs can either shut the naysayers up or give them fuel. I hope he has a great playoffs because that would mean oilers will be in the finals 😁😁

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Unless Brown is sick too, him being out of the lineup is weird.
I think they're just trying a rotation of 4th line guys so they stay fresh and healthy

Well 1 thing we agree with lol skinner has actually had a very good year, much more good games than bad. At beginning of year our team defense was so bad that the best goalie to ever play would look bad. I give skinner a B plus for the year. These Playoffs can either shut the naysayers up or give them fuel. I hope he has a great playoffs because that would mean oilers will be in the finals 😁😁
Look man the nucks and Avs are right up top, if you talk with their fans, they probably have space on the bandwagon. Go, it will be way easier

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree with this. Ekholm is one of our best defenders for sure, and if it isn't flubbed the whole play doesn't happen.

Given Ekholm, I figure it's one of those "shit happens" bad luck things and it ended up in the back of the net. One of those things we don't even scrutinize if Ek was able to block the pass (he quickly reacted to the mistake), or if the shot is flubbed, Skinner bails him out, etc.

Sucks that it happened. If I had to choose a time for it to happen, when it's 3-0 in a game we're doing very well in is probably it. Team didn't break or anything.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Agreed. Ryan seems to slide right back in after he sits a few like the pro he is. Brown will need to sit one or two times before playoffs but I would let him keep his mojo going for a few more first.
That’s the issue. Carrick needs playing time to get comfortable with the systems and players he will be with in the playoffs, Brown is coming on and Ryan has played well the past couple games he’s been in.

I'd keep cycling Ryan (he’s used to going in and out) and Carrick and keep Brown going as he probably has the biggest upside potential. f***, did I just say that. I wouldn’t 3 weeks ago.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Team played an awesome game with no passengers, but as always, someone on here has to breakdown in detail one goal that was scored against us, and attempts to find other culprits after his first chosen random "victim" is cleared of any guilt. You really just need to stop already, digging the hole deeper and deeper. :thumbd:
The Nuge isn't a random victim...he's the go-to victim for Drive now that Yamamoto is gone.
That goal against was on Ekholm mainly and a bit on Bouchard for finishing the hit and thus getting caught up ice.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
They blame Ekholm because he was the person attempting to put the puck up the boards to Bouchard but fanned on the backhand. It was a simple dump-in he had Bouchard on the boards for the backhand and he could have forehanded into the other corner and McLeod could have easily skated to it.

There are three other Oiler skaters in the picture when Ekholm first touched the puck. Perhaps his stick hit the boards before he was finished the pass that caused the puck to feebly bounce to the challenging King.

McLeod was going towards the other corner to provide a pass option and changed directions when Ekholm flubbed the pass.

I chalk it up to shitty luck as the puck was rolling when it got to Ekholm. In hindsight he should have passed it the other way but you have to make that decision in a split second. He’s smart enough to not do something like that again though

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Indeed he did.

The highlights don't show how the puck had remained in Oilers end to that point in first place and a couple board battles. lost. The highlight reel is 17secs, the play preceding around a minute. Also, and just a pet peeve but its home ice with Oilers last change. This wasn't a puck deep situation. McD and Nuge had option of staying on ice and perhaps should have. They were facing Byfield and PLD who were just paired up in third period and had some good shifts. Indeed PLD had two prior EV scoring chances just that period. Byfield had another. It was the only Kings line going at that point in game. The line change meant that Kings had a sustained shift, same guys on ice, and had the puck. Any line change involves an interruption in coverage. Teh forwards coming on were late providing pass support and Ekholm bobbled, and Byfield pounced on the puck. Both Dubois and Kaliyev were left wide open.

But people blame Ekholm....

Its OK to look into more detail on plays, and I do, and I rewatched the segment, not just the 17secs..

but yeah, I never reply...(not directed at you)

In fairness I retract my specific Nuge comment in anycase. It was a reasonable change but I don't think advisable for either McD or Nuge in that instance. Just stay the shift. Both have the lungs for it.
Do you even know how to say "I was wrong" or "I guess I misremembered it" instead of a partial mea culpa followed by some ridiculous drivel that tries to make you look like you see the game at some higher level than everyone else when you're clearly don't?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The Nuge isn't a random victim...he's the go-to victim for Drive now that Yamamoto is gone.
That goal against was on Ekholm mainly and a bit on Bouchard for finishing the hit and thus getting caught up ice.
Its not a surprise considering he spent years bitching about Nuge for stealing Gagner's spotlight as the top center on this team.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Are you a child? You make no sense at all and your comment has no relevance to my words. I have been a die hard oiler fan since they came in nhl. I think you better take your medication and go back to panoka lol
How many accounts you going to go through before you realize that flaming everyone when they dont agree with you isnt the move?

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
How many accounts you going to go through before you realize that flaming everyone when they dont agree with you isnt the move?
Are you delusional???? I have had this same account the whole time. Go to your safe place and don't harass people if you don't want then to respond. I have seen much worse on here and I will defend myself against children who can't take an opinion. Now have a good day and stay away from posts. You're the same guy following my posts around with a laughing emotion. Move on and focus on important stuff. Oh and look the definition up of flaming. I believed he flamed and I responded. I suggest you move along snd don't worry what I comment on

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Are you delusional???? I have had this same account the whole time. Go to your safe place and don't harass people if you don't want then to respond. I have seen much worse on here and I will defend myself against children who can't take an opinion. Now have a good day and stay away from posts. You're the same guy following my posts around with a laughing emotion. Move on and focus on important stuff
have you?

Kevy999 wasnt the same account?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Are you a child? You make no sense at all and your comment has no relevance to my words. I have been a die hard oiler fan since they came in nhl. I think you better take your medication and go back to panoka lol
No, you just seem to hate the team for not being first, so just run at the front and you can look down on whatever team isn't first, because you don't need to pretend to be loyal then. It's pretty simple.

You don't seem, truly on a fundamental level, to understand what being a "fan" of a team is as a concept, so front running will suit you much better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad