Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Why not Phaneuf with EK? Is it because you want Phaneuf/Ceci to play against the other team top comp like last year?

Personally, i would like pairing like that at some point this season:

Phaneuf-Ek ( matchup against top comp, because EK lol )
Chabot-Ceci ( easier matchup, which i think could do favor to Ceci )
Claesson/ XXX
Boro
XXX : Jaros/Wideman/Harpur

Phaneuf and EK are fine in short doses, but for EK to be able to do his thing he needs a partner with a certain level of mobility and foot speed. Methot was never blazing fast, but he was very mobile and faster than your average stay at home defender. I don't think it's a coincidence that Oduya prior to the injuries that hampered him last year was a defender with good skating. Nor do I think it's a coincidence that Erik Karlsson has apparently expressed interest in being paired with Chabot (although that might not work for other reasons).

Phaneuf wouldn't be able to keep up with EK and would hinder his game.

Reactions: NickLidstrom

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Phaneuf and EK are fine in short doses, but for EK to be able to do his thing he needs a partner with a certain level of mobility and foot speed. Methot was never blazing fast, but he was very mobile and faster than your average stay at home defender. I don't think it's a coincidence that Oduya prior to the injuries that hampered him last year was a defender with good skating. Nor do I think it's a coincidence that Erik Karlsson has apparently expressed interest in being paired with Chabot (although that might not work for other reasons).

Phaneuf wouldn't be able to keep up with EK and would hinder his game.
Seems like a reasonable answer. It male sense.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Phaneuf - Karlsson
Chabot - Ceci
Boro - Harpur
Oduya/Wideman/Claesson

Both Wideman & Claesson should be replaced by Harpur who is bigger & tougher than the two of them put together. Wideman lacks size & strength & Claesson lacks offensive abilities while Harpur has at the least equal abilities to both those guys in one player & would make a good 3rd pairing D who has some experience playing the right side in Bingo. If Harpur does well enough that they could consider moving Ceci at some point then they could bring up Jaros for that 3rd pairing right D spot to replace Harpur if he moves up a pairing. They need to move Wideman sooner rather than later.

While I understand that Oduya brings a great deal of experience, so far in pre-season he looks to be behind the play & too slow for today's NHL. He is the guy that should be replaced by Chabot IMO. They should waive Oduya & have him helping the young guys in Belleville.

You think Oduya is too slow and yet you like Boro. I don't understand your thought process.

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Cecis weaknesses appear to still be his weakness. Strange decisions with the puck in his own zone. Takes long to make those decisions. If he's chasing the puck back into his corner. Expect some defensive zone time.

Totally agree. Don't understand the huge fanclub. Wanted to love this guy and he had great first year or so, but decisionmaking is awful as well as slow. Was a huge contrast to see how well Phaneuf played with Claesson last game rather than Ceci and hope we see more of that pairing.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Totally agree. Don't understand the huge fanclub. Wanted to love this guy and he had great first year or so, but decisionmaking is awful as well as slow. Was a huge contrast to see how well Phaneuf played with Claesson last game rather than Ceci and hope we see more of that pairing.
Unfortunately he will be able to hide behind the big minutes argument and competition argument forever. For some reason with him the excuses just don't stop.

You can only play the minutes you're given. And when he plays poorly it's "well it was top comp so how can you expect he will play so well against them? "And then when he has a good game (which he's had a few ill admit, not many though. Or at least not enough to warrant a militia who's purpose is to defend him) they say "see he played so well against top comp he's untouchable".

It's always his partners fault or the forwards fault.

If and when the coach starts ticking back his minutes and maybe not speaking out for him so much I think some of those strong positive opinions of him will change around here. Exact same pattern as cowen (not the same player).

And then you have comments like the one a few ones back. "Don't compare him with good players". Okay so why is he our shutdown d man. We should be trying to improve our position of "number 1 shutdown guy". That's how all this started by the way. Some of us thought ceci should be improved on IF he was going to be used as the shutdown guy. Ceci is basically our number 2. I think a better d man should be our number 2.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Wait, you're predicting that our shutdown defenceman, who will receive little to no Powerplay time (maybe a shift here and there on the 2nd PP unit), who is tasked with playing against the league's best players is also going to pitch in 25 points?

Damn. Sign me up for some of that. Where's the downside?
25 points from ceci would be....nice. Too nice as you imply here.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
People hate the sentiment, and I understand why, but for me it's simple:

I like, trust, and respect GB and MC as coaches in the NHL. GB has been a massive supporter of Ceci, and has given him some huge compliment this camp going forward.

They are obviously seeing things that bian "the agenda" saurus and other are not seeing.

Given that I trust, and respect the opinions of our current coaching staff based on past performance, and attribute little importance to the opinions of many on here, I'm going with Ceci is doing a good job in his role, and is an important at part of our team.

In the end most of the contrarian posts are like a broken clock; they are correct once in a while, but are usual just flat out wrong. The doubling and tripling down on being wrong as a means to eventually be correct is a whole other can of awesomeness!

Me? I get to be patronizingly correct most of the time by backing the opinions of the professionals, and looking on the bright side of things as much as possible!

Hahaha, the appetizing arrogance!

Reactions: ThePriorityDeal

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
You know, I've been thinking that Ceci could be a great partner for EK.

He struggles with handling and moving the puck at times, but is real solid in the D zone, works hard in the corners and clearing the net, and has a cannon of a one-timer, which he has barely used as a Senator, since he plays on the right side and gets little PP time.

EK could mask his puck moving deficiencies, and Ceci could play a similar role as Methot, as the guy who plays the shutdown role that lets EK focus on offense. Just has to play hard in the corners, clear the front of the net and stay back when EK jumps into the play.

And it would make it a lot harder for the opposition to cover EK on the point. Instead of him passing the puck over to a completely inept offensive player with an absolute muffin of a shot in Methot, he'd be feeding a guy with a 100+ MPH slapshot for a one-timer towards the net. Could make both Karlsson and Ceci better offensively.

Thoughts?

I like your suggestion to pair Ceci with Karlsson because Ceci has decent offensive skill that he has not used in his defense first role. I think they could be a very dynamic offensive set of D men. I think he is a much better option than Phaneuf (too slow), Claesson ( unproven in comparison), Chabot (great potential but needs to acclimatize to the pro men's game), Borowiecki (very limited offensive skill set), or Oduya (might be a good option).

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
If Ceci stagnates, he is a 20 point defensively reliable 2nd pair dman. That's what he is right now imo. His offense is decent or adequate, not great (still just showing glimpses). His defense is above average and he can play against top competition and survive (that doesn't mean he excels or thrives at it).

Let's see what he does this season before resting his case. If he just stops double clutching and starts trusting his offensive instincts (he was pretty much PPG in junior and his shot is a bomb...), he'll be a very satisfactory #2-3 dman.

We used to fantasize about Karlsson-Cowen/Wiercioch(which panned out, lol)-Ceci as a future three-headed monster. Now it may end up being Karlsson-Chabot-Ceci.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Lol the same people fought tooth and nail for cowen because the coaches and gm "liked him". Hard to take seriously.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If Ceci stagnates, he is a 20 point defensively reliable 2nd pair dman. That's what he is right now imo. His offense is decent or adequate, not great (still just showing glimpses). His defense is above average and he can play against top competition and survive (that doesn't mean he excels or thrives at it).

Let's see what he does this season before resting his case. If he just stops double clutching and starts trusting his offensive instincts (he was pretty much PPG in junior and his shot is a bomb...), he'll be a very satisfactory #2-3 dman.

We used to fantasize about Karlsson-Cowen/Wiercioch(which panned out, lol)-Ceci as a future three-headed monster. Now it may end up being Karlsson-Chabot-Ceci.
Well he had quite a few detractors in junior.

He's not being used as a second pairing guy. He said being used as our number 1 shutdown guy to high in the lineup for him.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Also. Hard for me to have a hate on ceci agenda when evertime he has a decent game I come here and make sure I say it. I spend a lot of time bashing him he deserves credit when he plays well. Not exactly on brand

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
anybody here want to take up the argument that Chabot is a better Dman then Ceci? Chabot is even our 2nd best Dman or and a top 4 NHL Dman?

We see how huge the lose of Methot was who was just the best we had at settling everything down, now Ceci is that guy. He’s not as good as Methot but when I was watching last night I thought of how much this team missed Ceci.

Ceci is maybe the 2nd best Dman on the team (maybe it’s Phaneuf), but his value now that we are thin after our top 3 is so important. We need Ceci.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
People hate the sentiment, and I understand why, but for me it's simple:

I like, trust, and respect GB and MC as coaches in the NHL. GB has been a massive supporter of Ceci, and has given him some huge compliment this camp going forward.

They are obviously seeing things that bian "the agenda" saurus and other are not seeing.

Given that I trust, and respect the opinions of our current coaching staff based on past performance, and attribute little importance to the opinions of many on here, I'm going with Ceci is doing a good job in his role, and is an important at part of our team.

In the end most of the contrarian posts are like a broken clock; they are correct once in a while, but are usual just flat out wrong. The doubling and tripling down on being wrong as a means to eventually be correct is a whole other can of awesomeness!

Me? I get to be patronizingly correct most of the time by backing the opinions of the professionals, and looking on the bright side of things as much as possible!

Hahaha, the appetizing arrogance!

LOL, I like how you completely absolve yourself of any responsibility to generate an original opinion. Your point is basically "Well, the coaches whom I respect say 'X,' and the idiots around here I don't respect say 'Y,' so I'm going to to side with the people whose authority I respect and neglect the other legitimate points people are making." Why don't you give an original take of your own? Most people's opinions on Ceci have come as a result of watching him play hundreds of hours of hockey. I'm not saying their analyses are all right but at a certain point I think you have to acknowledge that they might be on to something.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
LOL, I like how you completely absolve yourself of any responsibility to generate an original opinion. Your point is basically "Well, the coaches whom I respect say 'X,' and the idiots around here I don't respect say 'Y,' so I'm going to to side with the people whose authority I respect and neglect the other legitimate points people are making." Why don't you give an original take of your own? Most people's opinions on Ceci have come as a result of watching him play hundreds of hours of hockey. I'm not saying their analyses are all right but at a certain point I think you have to acknowledge that they might be on to something.

Here's an original opinion - hockey professionals (i.e. coaches, managers and scouts) know more about evaluating hockey players than randos on the internet for two simple reasons. One, because they're being paid for it because they have verified experience and their opinions have consequences. Two, they've been vetted by someone with a vested interest in that they're not a complete and utter moron.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Personally, I enjoy and learn from postings where the poster speaks logically without aggrandizement and hyperbole. Some here do so. Many do not. But most provide entertaining comments. Some are rude and negative though.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Here's an original opinion - hockey professionals (i.e. coaches, managers and scouts) know more about evaluating hockey players than randos on the internet for two simple reasons. One, because they're being paid for it because they have verified experience and their opinions have consequences. Two, they've been vetted by someone with a vested interest in that they're not a complete and utter moron.
That's not an original opinion. It's an appeal to authority fallacy, and its only purpose is to shut down debate and discussion, which is weird in a forum dedicated to debate and discussion of Senators hockey. We can be better than this and calmly and civilly (? is that a word) discuss the merits of Ceci or other players.

I'm on the fence on Ceci, and I enjoy hearing both sides of the debate. Just trusting the ice time his coach gives him would not give me much to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad