Coach Discussion: Coaching Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
That DeMelo was on the third pairing to mentor Stanley
That was evident but did he say he was going to pair JMo and DD for the playoffs?
Poolman is an adequate 3RHD and Stanimal a 3LHD.
I think the Coilers take one of the next two but my prediction of Jets in 6 still stands.
Smith is the reason these games have been as close as they have. It easily could have been 2-0 after the 1st period of yesterday's game.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That was evident but did he say he was going to pair JMo and DD for the playoffs?
Poolman is an adequate 3RHD and Stanimal a 3LHD.
I think the Coilers take one of the next two but my prediction of Jets in 6 still stands.
Smith is the reason these games have been as close as they have. It easily could have been 2-0 after the 1st period of yesterday's game.
Why would he tell the public and the Oilers that he was going to change his D pairings for the playoffs?

Reactions: Say What

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
I've wanted to see a new coaching direction for a while now, but one thing you can say for Maurice is the players always seem willing to play for him. I don't know if the defensive scheme we're running in the playoffs is him or Lowry (...Huddy?) but I'm warming to the idea of Mo as head coach with some stronger assistants to provide strategic focus.
When Edmonton called a time out, it was Lowry giving strategic instructions to the players gathered 'round, IIRC. Results were good.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Did you watch the 2014/15 and 2017/18 versions of the Jets?

I think it's likely that Lowry has had a role, but it seems likely that the Jets specifically wanted him to revise systems. For some reason fans seem to think coaches have no clue about how different coaches deploy different systems. Maurice would have had a very clear understanding of Lowry's systems and approaches, and bringing him in indicates he wanted the Jets to move in a specific direction.
Or Chevy wanted a change...

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Regarding Maurice and how he plays his D pairings and apologies if this has been discussessed already but maybe he was playing Stanimal with DD to learn the game from a journeyman D man?

While that has been going on, maybe he played Poolman on the first pairing because he didn't want to pair him with Forbort and Stanimal might not have learned as well/much if paired with Poolman?
Now, in the playoffs he has played DD with JMO and moved Poolman back to the 3rd pairing and is starting Stanimal. Was this the plan all along?

Forbort probably had his best game this season so I will give some deserved credit to him on last night's play.
Mau doesn't "play" D pairings. At least he didn't when he was asked about it a few years ago - then he put it on Huddy for running the D pairings, at least from the bench. He will obviously have a role in setting them up, but Huddy runs them during the game as far as I can tell.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
All i know is if this was another team doing this to McJesus alot of people would be posting what a great job that head coach is doing, why can't we have a coach like that ? Don't want to get in a argument because i'm happy as a pig in shit right now with how the Jets are playing and we still haven't unleashed Ehlers on these bastards yet. :nod:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I confess that I will never understand how Bogo is still in the league.

All those guys you listed - including Spezza and Foligno - played Nate Thompson minutes... and that is the role of vets in the playoffs. If you were looking for a gotcha moment, its just not there.

Maurice played bad vets such as Beaulieu, Stuart, Cody Eakin 20+ minutes a game - that is the primary beef with him.

No one argues against playing vets - we just have traditionally overvalued them.
Bogosian won a cup last year, so.

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016
Brilliant move of Pmo. To tank with 12 games left giving us a hard bounce upwards to start the playoffs. I almost think it was planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad