Coaching change??

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I have a hard time believing that teams like the Knights and Devils are so much more supremely talented offensively than we are. Guys like Boudreau have a history of increasing offensive production across the board with their system. I think it can be done with the talent we have, and the talent that we have coming.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Perhaps better insulating the defense and goaltending by playing a more conservative, counterattacking style maximizes the talent on the roster. They just don’t have the horses to win in an attacking, speed-based system. The skill isn’t there and I’m not sure it can realistically be acquired in the short-term. You can win with a bottom 10 offense, if you have a top 5 defense to match. It wouldn't be pleasant to watch and the players would get sick of it after a while, but we have seen what the alternative is.

And the fact that we haven't yet done this makes me question why Peters is still coaching. Clearly he can design a very good system. But if he is so stubborn to stick to it despite the evidence that this team can't make it work, maybe he is just a one trick pony.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I'm torn. I know we are a low budget team in s too heavy division. But we also have a coach that constantly says one thing and the team does the exact opposite. So....

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
When the Canes have allowed 2 goals or fewer in regulation since 2015-2016:

WLOTL/SOLPoints
15-1626161365
16-172710761
17-1862416
Totals592824
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Over 82 games, that’s ~105 points.

De La Soul got it wrong. 2, not 3, is the magic number.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Needed, IMO.

I'm not gonna pretend to be smart enough to pick a name on who would fit best, but I think it's time for a change. Paradoxically, somebody with a little less structure in terms of the on-ice aspect.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Waking up every morning checking to see if peters got fired now. Seems like it's imminent, no?

It won’t happen until they come home if it happens at all. If the fire Peters today who coaches the team tonight? Brind’amour? Francis? Britney Spears? The Blue Man Group?

If I could just inherit Peters system and let them do whatever the hell it is they do it fairly confident I could be a better, or at worst equal in game coach to Peters. It would be a lot more entertaining at least because I’d probably get a bench minor every other game and I’d make Mike Keenan look like Bill Peters with the goalie carousel every time someone gives up a shitty goal. If it were allowed I’d dress 3 goalies for maximum humiliation to these sad sacks of shit.

I realize as I type that I probably wouldn’t be quite as good a coach as I thought. But it will be entertaining godddamit.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
It's foggy now but I'm trying to remember what kinds of changes, stylistically, were made when Maurice took over for Laviolette in 08-09. I know from watching their more recent/current teams that Lavi is much more into free-wheeling high-octane forechecking and Maurice is more conservative with dump/chase/cycle. But was there a major shift from what Laviolette was doing and what they did under Maurice that year? I don't remember. Thinking out loud here but I wonder if a new coach would even be able to undo the foundation Peters has laid here until next season or if it would just be a new voice in their ear, and if that might be enough.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
How many chances is he going to give Darling? He seems like a stubborn idiot. He sticks with a strategy just for the sake of it. Not that Ward is gonna all of the sudden change our fates, but he needs to change something other than line combinations. Nothing he's doing as a coach is producing a different result.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
How many chances is he going to give Darling? He seems like a stubborn idiot. He sticks with a strategy just for the sake of it. Not that Ward is gonna all of the sudden change our fates, but he needs to change something other than line combinations. Nothing he's doing as a coach is producing a different result.

Given how quickly he went to Ward every time Lack had even a meh game, I have assumed he was given his marching orders from Ron that Darling is not being paid $4M per year to be the backup.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Given how quickly he went to Ward every time Lack had even a meh game, I have assumed he was given his marching orders from Ron that Darling is not being paid $4M per year to be the backup.

I tend to agree, but it's a tough situation. The objective should still be to win, and Darling's confidence appears to be at an all time low. If the thought is let him work through it, that's fine, but also at this point they can't really afford for Darling to be finding...er searching for his game in mid December.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I really wasn't impressed at all with his coaching...we had a solid team last year and they looked inept half the time. It was kind of like with the Hurricanes, they definitely played below their skill level, and were very streaky period to period much less game to game.

Oh, I didn't say I wanted him or was impressed, I just trust in the Canes nepotism chain too much. Peters was an outside the group hire...we are due for a heavy shot of nepotism again.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If I’m Francis I let Rod be the interim HC and tell him the only things that matter are Getting Faulk, Skinner, and Rask scoring. Then trade all those ****ers at the deadline for a better haul and give Johnny T $14 mil per.
What makes you think Brindy is capable of getting scoring out of those players, or hell any player? The way our PP has been this year, I wouldn't have any confidence at all in such a plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad