Coaches fired in off-season

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I would drive him to the front door with a boy wrapped around him.
200w (9).gif

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Assuming that Colorado wins game 5 eliminating the Jets, let's compare Bowness's year as Jets coach to the Paul Maurice/ Dave Lowry season in 2002/23. Bowness will have improved the team by 15 points in the regualr season (110 points vs. 95). The playoff result is the same with a first round loss in 5 games. In fact Rick Bowness gave the Jets their most point season in franchise history (even if you consider Atlanta Thrasher seasons as Winnipeg Jets cannon - or if you consider the original Winnipeg Jets including their WHA years as cannon).

Is it normal to fire a coach who just achieved the best regular season point total in franchise history and did not do any worse in the playoffs than the previosu year?

I will predict Rick Bowness will not be fired this summer.
Valid points! Perhaps I’m a bit jaded over the playoff games so far

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Why would the Jets coach be fired? They are such a mid team.

It is a miracle they finished where they did in the standings. Because they certainly aren't good.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
8 HC and 2 GMs fired so far.

But figures to be 9 HC once Columbus hires their GM and gets the Greenlight to make their own hire.

How safe are the 7 other GMs who fired their HC? What’s their expectations for next season and if not met are they then gone?

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Keefe is about as boiled as Oden was

I do wonder if a Keefe firing the creates a domino effect where Sullivan then "steps down" and Keefe becomes the HC of Pitts

Reactions: Chan790

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Assuming that Colorado wins game 5 eliminating the Jets, let's compare Bowness's year as Jets coach to the Paul Maurice/ Dave Lowry season in 2002/23. Bowness will have improved the team by 15 points in the regualr season (110 points vs. 95). The playoff result is the same with a first round loss in 5 games. In fact Rick Bowness gave the Jets their most point season in franchise history (even if you consider Atlanta Thrasher seasons as Winnipeg Jets cannon - or if you consider the original Winnipeg Jets including their WHA years as cannon).

Is it normal to fire a coach who just achieved the best regular season point total in franchise history and did not do any worse in the playoffs than the previosu year?

I will predict Rick Bowness will not be fired this summer.
we had 114 points in 17/18. bowness won't be fired but he may not get his club option picked up and the only thing worse then what we did last year would have been a sweep, so big f***ing whoop that he didn't do any worse in the playoffs this year

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Bowness won't be fired. Poor guy drew Colorado in rd 1 and his goalie took the series off.

Correct answer is Keefe. One less punchable face behind a bench he's up there with Woodcroft.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
8 HC and 2 GMs fired so far.

But figures to be 9 HC once Columbus hires their GM and gets the Greenlight to make their own hire.

How safe are the 7 other GMs who fired their HC? What’s their expectations for next season and if not met are they then gone?

Where do you get 8 HC? I get 3, Granato, Hakstol and Quinn.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Where do you get 8 HC? I get 3, Granato, Hakstol and Quinn.
Factored in season changes as well.
Edm, Stl, Ott, Buf, NJ, NY, Sea, SJ will have a different HC for game 1 in 24/25 than the person who was the HC for game 1 of 23/24 season.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Bowness’ contract for next year is club option, but performance isn’t likely to be the criteria that decides it. They certainly wouldn’t fire him outright or say that he wasn’t doing a good enough job. With Bowness’ absences this year due to his wife’s health, I think he is probably going to want to retire and spend time with his family. The organization will oblige and make it clear that it was his call.

mattef

consider the following...
May 12, 2014
Montreal, QC
Michel Therrien would chew them lol

He's an old school hard ass who should never get the job for more than two years because he's toxic af

But maybe that's what is needed? At least, they would learn to grind There are other old school
Therrien is a borderline criminal who will ruin any locker room he steps a foot in. That goes way back to his days in the Q with the Morrissette brothers. Just horrible people.

There are other old school coaches to hire that are not walking cancer

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Therrien is a borderline criminal who will ruin any locker room he steps a foot in. That goes way back to his days in the Q with the Morrissette brothers. Just horrible people.

There are other old school coaches to hire that are not walking cancer

But I wish none of them to the Leafs, I wish them Therrien

Reactions: mattef

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Mike Sullivan please and thank you. But after ridding ourselves of that smug, stubborn, ineffective albatross you just know that Kyle Dubious is going to bring in his BFF Keefe (yuck) after Toronto punts him. In fact, that's probably the ONLY chance (and it's still not much of one) that Sully gets the well-deserved axe.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Bowness’ contract for next year is club option, but performance isn’t likely to be the criteria that decides it. They certainly wouldn’t fire him outright or say that he wasn’t doing a good enough job. With Bowness’ absences this year due to his wife’s health, I think he is probably going to want to retire and spend time with his family. The organization will oblige and make it clear that it was his call.

Agreed. If he leaves they’ll let it be on his terms. If he wants to come back for another year he will. But yeh, he’s knocking on the door of retirement.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Both Montgomery & Keefe are 100% coaching for their jobs tomorrow night. Keefe may even be gone if they lose to Florida in 5 or less.

I think Keefe needs round 3 at minimum to survive.

Then again, he did get extended so maybe that's foolish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad