Coaches fired in off-season

CH

Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
Prediction as to who will be let go?
I’ll guess Bowness in Winnipeg

Assuming that Colorado wins game 5 eliminating the Jets, let's compare Bowness's year as Jets coach to the Paul Maurice/ Dave Lowry season in 2002/23. Bowness will have improved the team by 15 points in the regualr season (110 points vs. 95). The playoff result is the same with a first round loss in 5 games. In fact Rick Bowness gave the Jets their most point season in franchise history (even if you consider Atlanta Thrasher seasons as Winnipeg Jets cannon - or if you consider the original Winnipeg Jets including their WHA years as cannon).

Is it normal to fire a coach who just achieved the best regular season point total in franchise history and did not do any worse in the playoffs than the previosu year?

I will predict Rick Bowness will not be fired this summer.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Prediction as to who will be let go?
I’ll guess Bowness in Winnipeg
I could see him stepping down. He's now 69.

But, man... NHL goes through its coaches so far. All but 5 guys have less than 3 full years with their current team. Might be down to 4 if Keefe gets dismissed.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Teach em some rispick

Play da right way, too soff

It would be entertaining, while Keefe had no issues with their effort level in game 4 Michel would have

Michel Therrien would chew them lol

He's an old school hard ass who should never get the job for more than two years because he's toxic af

But maybe that's what is needed? At least, they would learn to grind

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Out of the teams still in the playoffs? Or potentially other non-playoff teams who have yet to make a firing?

The match has already been lit for Keefe, barring a comeback and win in this series.

Bowness maybe ''Resigns''. He's closer to 70 than anything. I think he has one more year left. The Jets had a pretty good season, especially in comparison to last year. So maybe he doesn't go.

Hiller is just an interim, he probably goes. Maybe he gets reassigned to assistant.

Not sure about Bannister in St. Louis. I hope to all that is holy that Travis Green is completely out of New Jersey, and then gets hired by one of our rivals. I'll happily settle for him just being let go by the Devils though.

There's some smoke about Sullivan wanting out of Pittsburgh. Not sure if true or not.

I wonder if there was a similar thread last season, because I bet Keefe's name would have been high up there
I was surprised he was brought back and extended after the GM change. I think I've seen he has just one year left though? I think they'll be eating that one year or possibly some other team will be paying it.

I wondered if yet another first round exit in 2022 would send both Dubas and Keefe out of town, but both stayed.

I do think this is the end for Keefe, barring a comeback and win in the series. What happens in the event they did come back to win, but then lost next round? Does Keefe come back next year? That I wouldn't be sure about.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Actually, the Yzerplan thread just made me think of Lalonde.

There was a report that came out a few days into April that he'll be fired if they miss the playoffs. Possibly because they were in pretty well standing in a playoff spot for much of the first half of the season.

Perhaps the fact that they missed by the playoffs by exactly 0 points and on a tiebreaker may have saved him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Assuming that Colorado wins game 5 eliminating the Jets, let's compare Bowness's year as Jets coach to the Paul Maurice/ Dave Lowry season in 2002/23. Bowness will have improved the team by 15 points in the regualr season (110 points vs. 95). The playoff result is the same with a first round loss in 5 games. In fact Rick Bowness gave the Jets their most point season in franchise history (even if you consider Atlanta Thrasher seasons as Winnipeg Jets cannon - or if you consider the original Winnipeg Jets including their WHA years as cannon).

Is it normal to fire a coach who just achieved the best regular season point total in franchise history and did not do any worse in the playoffs than the previosu year?

I will predict Rick Bowness will not be fired this summer.
Guess it depends what kind pressure is there from ownership.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Actually, the Yzerplan thread just made me think of Lalonde.

There was a report that came out a few days into April that he'll be fired if they miss the playoffs. Possibly because they were in pretty well standing in a playoff spot for much of the first half of the season.

Perhaps the fact that they missed by the playoffs by exactly 0 points and on a tiebreaker may have saved him.
Lalonde took over a team that cleared the bottom 3 of the standings by 11 points. That's still a good 20 points to make up to make the PO. These 2 seasons, cleared the bottom of the standings by 20 and 30 points. That's progress, which the Wings needed and wanted.
I could see 24/25 as the pressure point for him to make the PO or lose his job.

But, Coaches are paying the price for a hard cap and some bad signings by GM.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I wonder if there was a similar thread last season, because I bet Keefe's name would have been high up there
I though Keefe would be gone for sure when Dubas got canned. I have to assume if the Leafs don't come back and win this round he will be gone. At a certain point they can't just keep running it back can they?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Bowness is not going to be able to convince the Jets to play that style so they can get embarrassed in round one yet again. He's gone.

Reactions: Satoru Gojo

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Every single almighty creator has been inundated with pleads from Penguins fans for Dubas to throw Mike Sullivan out on his smug Boston ass.

If there was ever a team needing to fire the coach, it is 1000% the Penguins. And look Mikey, all these teams here for you to pick from.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
Every single almighty creator has been inundated with pleads from Penguins fans for Dubas to throw Mike Sullivan out on his smug Boston ass.

If there was ever a team needing to fire the coach, it is 1000% the Penguins. And look Mikey, all these teams here for you to pick from.
Interesting how I see Sullivan’s name mentioned for the New Jersey and Toronto jobs. Maybe he would do better in another place but I wouldn’t bet anything I value on that.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Interesting how I see Sullivan’s name mentioned for the New Jersey and Toronto jobs. Maybe he would do better in another place but I wouldn’t bet anything I value on that.
I would drive him to the front door with a boy wrapped around him. I'll even pay the first week's food per diem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad