Post-Game Talk: Close but no cigar Jets lose in OT 5-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I usually watch the other team's feed and they mentioned that Toninato is Brett Hull's Godson.

They were praising up Scheif and KC all game...especially Scheif. Quite a few good comment's thrown Helle's way as well.

I coulnd't watch all of it. I had to turn back to Beyak and Sawyer. These guys would not shut up while play was going on. Worse than Sawyer, I kid you not.

Where do you find these other team's feeds?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I know that there are many on here that love Brendan Dillon's play and what he brings to this team since Buff's departure. However, I find myself again questioning his decison making late in a tight hockey game. What was he doing with 17 seconds left in the PK in OT? Instead of ringing it around the boards on his forehand he does a poor back pass to Demelo who had a guy on him. We never touched the puck again before we picked it out of our net. I am sorry but I am not a fan of his late game hockey IQ.

As a positive, I really liked our compete level tonight. I can handle losing games when we come to play. Sure. Helle had a rough outing but hopefully the coach next year is better at managing his workload.

Nice to see 55 and 27 clicking. We have some nice picees moving forward despite the tear it down mentality that has been prevalent around here as of late.

We certainly need to make changes and especially behind the bench but no need to burn down the house.

I will duck for cover. Constructive criticism welcome. Attack the post not the poster.

Go Jets Go

There are positives. And maybe little more than a new coach is required. I would like to be positive and it is a little easier after last night's game. But there have been maybe 15-20 games like that this year, where you think you can be more positive. And then there are an equal number of turds, with the rest somewhere in between.

OTOH, what if a much bigger adjustment is required and it doesn't get done? Another year wasted with patiently, conservatively nibbling around the edges of the issues.

I wonder if we could have looked that close if Avs were playing for something?

Reactions: surixon

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Who would your choice be to coach this group? I wouldn't mind Groulx either as he was a dominant offensive minded junior coach and has been in Tampa's system for a while.
I'd definitely be happy with Groulx. Genuinely wouldn't mind Morrison. Boudreau or Gallant would have been great options. Marco Sturm would be fun. I have no evidence he would be a good head coach I was just a big fan of his as a player.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
That's why Scheifele's play this season was so frustrating for me, if he played all season like last night we would be set at center for a long time. Scheifele and Dubois should be a great 1,2 punch down the middle.

Yep, which is why if at all possible the Jets need to try to help Scheifele's game rather than trading him, atleast for the next season. PLD is a great guy centering your 2nd line. So far his production has been very similar to prime Bryan Little's (with the added benefit of more physicality than Little) and we weren't anyway near contending with Little as our 1 C.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think his development would be hurt at all by playing with Lowry. If anything, he learns how to play a 2 way game. Jets strategy this year was pretty simple, drive the middle and create passing lanes by that net drive. Perfetti didn't exactly light it up playing with the two hottest guys on the team, early in the year, and you need points to earn points. But Adam Lowry is a guy who wins some pucks. Also you saw the kid get his shoulder wrecked with one big hit. Think teams are not going to go back at him, this is the NHL? A couple of shoulder injuries and Perfetti never hits his potential like the Nuge. I'm a big fan of protecting young players with guys who are tough. Make room for the skill to play. Lowry can make plays too, he's not a hack.

He was producing at a 1.82 p/60 with them, that is strong second line production rates and right around what Blake Wheeler has produced all year. So I'm not sure where this didn't earn it comes from. He produced what you'd expect someone to produced when played in that role.

Its about style of play and how one reads the game. Lowry doesn't open up to take advantage of Cole's playmaking. Lowry goes straight to the corner or straight to the net and plays a crqsh and bang game. Cole is always looking for players to get into space and open up for chances. That isn't Lowry's game and there is a reason things didn't click with him whenever he was played with a skilled player this past year. He looks much better now that he is with straight line guys like Appelton and Sanford.

Playing with Lowry will do nothing to stop players from trying to hit him. He was playing either someone nearly as big and physical with Dubois.

Edit: in terms of actual production, Cole produced 6 5 on 5 points in the 15 games he played in the top 6. During that interval that put him one point back of Conner and Scheifele in terms of 5 on 5 points. He was tied with Wheeler and Dubois. He was third in P/60 (second only to Wheeler if you remove the 5 minutes he spent on line 4 in one of the games) during that stretch

He did that while completely destroying his matchups. He was more then keeping pace and contributing.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
A little late responding, however I was just too bagged last night to get into things.

As for thoughts, Morrissey was playing inspired hockey - he does have great hands and is a very fluid skater. Occasionally makes a bad decision to pinch at the line and gets caught flat-footed if the puck skips on him. A proper defensive coach will instruct him to start his momentum backwards towards the line before a pinch so as to be ready to backcheck if this happens. A simple change in his game that will pay dividends.

Scheifele was looking to shoot far more tonight, and it was great to see as he has an elite release. Could have easily had another 1-2. Just wish he would be more aggressive with the puck, as I think teams would not be able to handle his skill and size. Something has been going on with Schief the past couple of years - he seems lost, and needs direction. Maurice was a great motivator, and I think Scheif responded well to that part of his coaching style, however when the results don't follow, those words start to ring hollow. I think Scheif would respond very well to a high-discipline style coach, as he is very much a by-the-book hockey player, and disciplined teams are rewarded in today's NHL, so the results would follow.

Samberg looked great as well, good on his edges, was able to make some pretty skilled passes which led to some breakaways. I remember Pionk doing this a great deal in his first year here. Small sample size however, so I need to see more before I say he is ready to take a spot on the roster. Ditto Kovacevic/Chisolm.

Which leads me to Pionk - he has had a pretty forgettable season. Not terrible, but pretty mediocre - he must have a nagging injury that is hampering his skating (groin maybe?) as he seems to be having all sorts of issues with positioning this year. This hasn't been an issue with him before, so it was odd to see. Hopefully an off-season of healing and conditioning will lead to the return of the Pionk of yesteryear.

Dillon is a pretty average defenceman - he doesn't deal with pressure particularly well, and will often send the puck into high danger areas when forechecked, making life difficult for his defensive partner. Don't know if this is correctable at this point in his career, and if not I wouldn't be averse to trading him in the off-season and filling his spot with Heinola/Stanley. The one upside is that he is physical, and we don't have a ton of that on our blue-line.

Heinola has been pretty good in the limited time we've seen him - he's good under pressure and can make some great breakout passes. The one knock on him is his physicality - he is often unable to do much net-front as he cannot handle opposing forwards with size and routinely gets burned.

Stanley is a frustrating case, as he has that fantastic size, but he rarely leverages it. I've never seen a big man knocked over as much as I have with him - it doesn't make any sense. He should easily be able to clear out the front of the net, and yet we so rarely see it. He needs to work on his balance and core. I think we have to use him sparingly, but keep him as a deterrent to other teams as they will start to tee off on our forwards otherwise.

Schmidt has been... okay. He shoots the puck and has a decent offensive upside to his game, however like Dillon he freezes under pressure and will make some terrible plays when forechecked (which is where the game is headed, so this is a pretty glaring weakness). Judging from his interviews, he seems to not deal with adversity particularly well in any facet of his life, as he routinely says he doesn't respond well to negativity and prefers to be an optimist. Nothing necessarily wrong with being an optimist, but you can't just ignore adversity... Comes across as a bit of a snowflake. Unfortunately $6m is a little too high to be spending on a marginally better Dillon. I think we move Schmidt in the off-season.

DeMelo is a good second or third pairing defenceman - nothing flashy, next to zero offensive upside, but is very good positionally and at reading the play (for the most part). Very much a blue-collar defenceman. We'd be dumb to move him on his contract.

I like Sanford's hands and positioning - he's still new to the team and is finding his place, but in the limited time he's been here he's been buzzing in the offensive zone, and also plays a good defensive game. I think with some more reps with the guys he could be a good piece. Good potential here.

Appleton has looked a little slower than I remember - hard to say. Again, limited sample size this year and with any luck he'll be flying again next year.

Wheeler has looked like a different player the past couple of weeks, which has been great to see, I just wish the effort had been there from the start. I don't know what has changed, but I can't help but think he is trying to boost his value at the end of the season to ensure his place on the roster for the next coach. Unfortunately there is the rest of the season to serve as a body of evidence, and his play has been so lacklustre for so long that I sure to hell hope our new coach isn't fooled. Again, the captain has to lead by example. Hasn't been happening.

Connor/Dubois/Ehlers/Svech/Lowry - these have been our most consistent offensive players, and have shown the most consistent effort all season. Ehlers hasn't scored as much as we have seen in the past, however he is shooting the puck and is skating - the goals will continue to come if we use him more. Connor is an elite scorer - just need him to keep backchecking to keep teams honest. Dubois doesn't score a ton yes, but that isn't his role - he's a mucking forechecker like Lowry, but with better hands. Lowry does what he does, pretty independently of who is paired with him. Svech was done dirty this season - did everything the coach could have asked of him and more, and gets moved around the lineup and his ice-time cut. My guess is he has a mouth on him and it gets him in trouble.

Ves/Toninato/Harkins/Barron - I had high hopes for Harkins when we signed him, but it looks like he's going to end up a 4th liner for his career. Just way too inconsistent. Ves/Toninato - not skilled enough for today's NHL, and I could take them or leave them.

Perfetti - liked what I've seen from him in his limited time, but he needs to put on some size or he's going to spend his career injured. Maybe we need to move him down the lineup, like a Matty P. type of player? I don't know. Hopefully he is able to bulk up somewhat and this becomes a non-issue.

Barron - has been middling, but way too early to tell what we have with him.

Hellebuyck - definitely having an off year, but again, my theory is that his newborn is messing with his energy levels and reaction time, and I predict he'll be back to his usual self next year (unless he and his wife decide to have another baby :skeptic:).

Comrie - has performed his duties as a backup excellently, and has really taken that worry from the team when Broissoit left. Great job Eric! Keep it up! I don't think we should use him too much more, as again, he can be exposed when playing high-tempo, puck moving teams.

To those that are saying that Chevy has to go based on his abilities as a GM, that's ridiculous - he's been a magician for us with players during his tenure here, and I guarantee we circle the drain of the NHL if he goes. With that said, his achilles heel is coaches - he's not great at assessing coaching prowess, so I'm a little bit nervous about the next coaching team. With that said, we have to make a change, and Lowry, Kompon and Huddy we thank you for your many years of faithful service, but it is time to move on to a new voice.
Good post. I agree with almost everything you say. Particularly about the defense. Though I think Dillon is the one to go and not Schmidt. Dillon at times has looked like he doesn't want to be here. I look at Anaheim getting punched out and I think after liquidating their defense, he's a guy that would easy to move to the Ducks, for at least one of the 2nds he was traded for, plus. I'm looking at Samberg putting up better numbers on the PK, and that stands out to me right away. Plus the offseason training with Pionk, I think they can work on a lot of things that make a good d-pairing, communication wise.

Schmidt to me has shown inconsistency, but he's added some offense and pace to the breakouts with good passes. He's also looked comfortable mentoring the young players.

I'd be incline to run Morrissey-Schmidt as a top pairing. De Melo while defensively responsible isn't going to make a lot of plays. Samberg-Pionk as #2, and Stanley-De Melo as #3, as they also had good comminucation, and I like Stanley's ability to get quality shots on goal. Then open the door a little for Heinola, maybe Heinola-Kovacevic comes in as your 4th pairing, with some AHL experience under their belt, With Schmidt's ability to play the left side, I think the Jets could consistenly play one of Stanley or Kovacevic in the lineup next year, and have that big guy in the lineup, who knows they may have to play tough for their teammates.

I also think you can't say enough good things about Stastny. When Wheeler and Scheif were down early, the secondary scoring came for Copp-Stastny-Ehlers. He's looked good on just about every line he's played on, creating chances. No surprise Scheifele is going playing with him. I go back to that 1st goal, and it's Stastny playing the support for the d, making a read to create an odd man rush, and that's Scheifele freed from defensively responsibility that gets to attack. Late charge on Stastny's faceoff dominance. I could get behind more of that.

I don't think Sanford will re-sign but he's been good enough to bring back, if that door is open. i think the Jets need more RW depth. I liked Reichel in a very limited role. I think he and Gustafsson could turn some of their A level PK success into the NHL level, like Samberg, and potentially Kovacevic too. But I'd like to see the Jets add a tougher player down the right side, a Brett Ritchie type. The West is going to see some turnover in personnel next season. The Jets will have to match the good skating teams, but also some of the systematic checking teams, like the Flames, Kings, Wild, and Preds.

I agree about the 4th line. It's been poor. Not sure Toninato has been a bust, amidst it all but I think he is better suited as #13. I don't think Ves is coming back. So there should be some competition.

A change of attitude, perhaps through coaching, and better health, and I think there's still a playoff team out of what Chevy has built.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd definitely be happy with Groulx. Genuinely wouldn't mind Morrison. Boudreau or Gallant would have been great options. Marco Sturm would be fun. I have no evidence he would be a good head coach I was just a big fan of his as a player.

I'm very leary on trusting a one year sample size on Morrison. He hadn't been a head coach in a long time and Anaheim fans thought of him similarly as we think of Huddy. I don't think that means much but I think he would be a pretty big risk myself but who knows he could surprise as an NHL coach as well.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
He was producing at a 1.85 p/60 with them, that is strong second line production rates and right around what Blake Wheeler has produced all year. So I'm not sure where this didn't earn it comes from. He produced what you'd expect someone to produced when played in that role.

Its about style of play and how one reads the game. Lowry doesn't open up to take advantage of Cole's playmaking. Lowry goes straight to the corner or straight to the net and plays a crqsh and bang game. Cole is always looking for players to get into space and open up for chances. That isn't Lowry's game and there is a reason things didn't click with him whenever he was played with a skilled player this past year. He looks much better now that he is with straight line guys like Appelton and Sanford.

Playing with Lowry will do nothing to stop players from trying to hit him. He was playing either someone nearly as big and physical with Dubois.

I think there's something to be said for pressing your advantage and playing guys in roles that exploit what they're good at. They gain confidence and they get better and better at the thing that got them to the NHL in the first place.

Not sure about this philosophy of playing guys in ways that don't come naturally to try to shore up their weaknesses... I kind of think it's wrongheaded and could be a confidence killer.

I personally think 3C Lowry is a big barrier to our development of prospects.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I could definitely be missing something but I don't understand the rhetoric around "needing" a ppg center, or needing to replace someone's production.

Isn't your only goal to have your team on the correct side of the ledger? Why is it valuable to have a PPG center if he carries a PPG+1 goals against cost?

Shouldn't the goal simply be to have 'plus' players? Who cares if you're losing 50 goals at the end of the season if you're also 'losing' 60 goals against?

This isn't an argument against keeping Scheifele, it's just an argument against the rhetoric being used. I think Scheif could potentially be a lot better than his last couple of seasons' worth of defensive stats and if he was coached, engaged, and really wanted to be better then he could be insanely valuable for us. But that wouldn't be just because he's PPG... it would be because he improved in our own end

100% this ^

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
For me the solution is put 81-55-80 as a line. Big guns. Big points. Offensive zone aces. I agree with you in the respect that Dubois leaves me wanting a better effort, especially on the defensive side. And the penalties he's taken have hurt the team.

#2 line 27-25-26. Stastny does so many things right, night in night out, that go unnoticed. I like him in the middle of the ice, and I'd say Scheifele's 1st goal last night came from him playing centre.

I don't even have Perfetti in my top 6 next year, but as a top 6 level replacement. I'd start him off on the wing with Lowry to give him some room. Defensively I like his game, and see him as a guy who can turn defense into offense. Probably more effective on the PP. For any young player I think you earn your ice time, it's not anointed.

Same top 9 as 2 years ago, with some line adjustments. Perfetti replaces Copp. Takes his PP time.
81-55-80 rate out as 3 of our weaker defensive players in the top-6. it gives off CSW vibes.
27-25-26 would probably work. 27 & 25 play well with any of our top-6ers.

id go
ehlers-scheifele-wheeler has always been a solid line.
then connor-dubois-perfetti

not sure if stastny sticks around, if he does imo he needs to be 3c. but i am doubtful that they will do that.

Last edited:

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
Good post. I agree with almost everything you say. Particularly about the defense. Though I think Dillon is the one to go and not Schmidt. Dillon at times has looked like he doesn't want to be here. I look at Anaheim getting punched out and I think after liquidating their defense, he's a guy that would easy to move to the Ducks, for at least one of the 2nds he was traded for, plus. I'm looking at Samberg putting up better numbers on the PK, and that stands out to me right away. Plus the offseason training with Pionk, I think they can work on a lot of things that make a good d-pairing, communication wise.

Schmidt to me has shown inconsistency, but he's added some offense and pace to the breakouts with good passes. He's also looked comfortable mentoring the young players.

I'd be incline to run Morrissey-Schmidt as a top pairing. De Melo while defensively responsible isn't going to make a lot of plays. Samberg-Pionk as #2, and Stanley-De Melo as #3, as they also had good comminucation, and I like Stanley's ability to get quality shots on goal. Then open the door a little for Heinola, maybe Heinola-Kovacevic comes in as your 4th pairing, with some AHL experience under their belt, With Schmidt's ability to play the left side, I think the Jets could consistenly play one of Stanley or Kovacevic in the lineup next year, and have that big guy in the lineup, who knows they may have to play tough for their teammates.

I also think you can't say enough good things about Stastny. When Wheeler and Scheif were down early, the secondary scoring came for Copp-Stastny-Ehlers. He's looked good on just about every line he's played on, creating chances. No surprise Scheifele is going playing with him. I go back to that 1st goal, and it's Stastny playing the support for the d, making a read to create an odd man rush, and that's Scheifele freed from defensively responsibility that gets to attack. Late charge on Stastny's faceoff dominance. I could get behind more of that.

I don't think Sanford will re-sign but he's been good enough to bring back, if that door is open. i think the Jets need more RW depth. I liked Reichel in a very limited role. I think he and Gustafsson could turn some of their A level PK success into the NHL level, like Samberg, and potentially Kovacevic too. But I'd like to see the Jets add a tougher player down the right side, a Brett Ritchie type. The West is going to see some turnover in personnel next season. The Jets will have to match the good skating teams, but also some of the systematic checking teams, like the Flames, Kings, Wild, and Preds.

I agree about the 4th line. It's been poor. Not sure Toninato has been a bust, amidst it all but I think he is better suited as #13. I don't think Ves is coming back. So there should be some competition.

A change of attitude, perhaps through coaching, and better health, and I think there's still a playoff team out of what Chevy has built.
Can't believe I forgot Stats! Yeesh! He has been so good for us and is a super underrated player. He works his butt off every night and has fantastic hockey IQ. Yes he is getting older and slower, but he would be perfect in a second or third line role, and I know he would have no problem with such an arrangement as he always does what is best for the team.

I would not be averse to him being a captain or assistant if he wants to stick around while we transition to the new coaching staff - he leads by example with his play, and I think a lot of the younger guys respect how honest he has been with the critical assessment of our play - his passion for the team is palpable. You can see just how much he cares. He could be a great mentor.

It's interesting you mention Dillon not wanting to play here, because that is how I feel about Schmidt. I get the sense that he 'settled' to play with us, however I stand by my assesment of him, and I think pairing him with Morrissey is a bad idea. His laissez-faire attitude was rubbing off in Morrissey earlier in the season, and I saw careless play from them time and time again when they were playing together.

I don't think he is playing anywhere near his contract value. If that changes, we can revisit this conversation, but as of now he can be moved in my opinion.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Curious to what you are using……some of the stuff I watch and I’m plagued with freezing
streameast is usually a pretty good link but most of them work well.
They don't have CFL football but you can stream that from reddit.

goojara and Watch Peaky Blinders full HD on 1movieshd.com Free are good for tv and movies.
goojara doesn't have cc.

couchtuner and Watch Free Full HD Movies & TV Shows Online for Free | Fmovies can be good but they have their warts.

I use malwarebytes...about 30 bucks and the free version of AVAST....never have a problem besides the odd popups that they catch.
Important to have an antimalware and antivirus...I cna't stress this enough.

Reactions: sipowicz

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Really, I thought Samberg was our second best d after morrissey.
It really makes me question why we brought in Dillion. Just should have run Mo Samberg Heinola.

Because Maurice does trust young defensemen. That’s why he was brought in.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Because Maurice does trust young defensemen. That’s why he was brought in.
That would almost make sense if Logan Stanley wasn’t the same age as Samberg and that Stanley was only one year older last year than Heinola is now, also don’t forget Morrissy became a full time Jet at the same age Heinola is now, also don’t forget that Trouba was a year younger than Heinola is when he became a full time player.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
That would almost make sense if Logan Stanley wasn’t the same age as Samberg and that Stanley was only one year older last year than Heinola is now, also don’t forget Morrissy became a full time Jet at the same age Heinola is now, also don’t forget that Trouba was a year younger than Heinola is when he became a full time player.
I get your point except having too many young defensemen learning the NHL game at once would produce more growing pains than a coach who prefers his good vets cares to handle.

And comparing Stanley, Heinola and Samberg to much higher caliber defensemen like Trouba and Morrissey isn’t exactly apples to apples.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
81-55-80 rate out as 3 of our weaker defensive players in the top-6. it gives off CSW vibes.
27-25-26 would probably work. 27 & 25 play well with any of our top-6ers.

id go
ehlers-scheifele-wheeler has always been a solid line.
then connor-dubois-perfetti

not sure if stastny sticks around, if he does imo he needs to be 3c. but i am doubtful that they will do that.
What's your thoughts on 81-80-26 as a line? Is it better than CSW? Thing about Scheifele is under Maurice he took up the torch of being the go to matchup RH centre, including defensive zone draws, from Little. And maybe it's time to free him up as a winger. Stastny in the middle to me always yields better results than Stastny on the wing, but I don't what the analytics say. I'd say our 2nd line right now is playing better than our 1st.

I'm hesitant to go into camp with Perfetti in the top 6 next year, and say we're a better team. I think there is still some growing to do. A new coach might want to give him significant PP time, but I think he's going into camp still having to prove himself. Where he starts and where he finishes might different, if the Jets expand their depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad