Post-Game Talk: Close but no cigar Jets lose in OT 5-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I know that there are many on here that love Brendan Dillon's play and what he brings to this team since Buff's departure. However, I find myself again questioning his decison making late in a tight hockey game. What was he doing with 17 seconds left in the PK in OT? Instead of ringing it around the boards on his forehand he does a poor back pass to Demelo who had a guy on him. We never touched the puck again before we picked it out of our net. I am sorry but I am not a fan of his late game hockey IQ.

As a positive, I really liked our compete level tonight. I can handle losing games when we come to play. Sure. Helle had a rough outing but hopefully the coach next year is better at managing his workload.

Nice to see 55 and 27 clicking. We have some nice picees moving forward despite the tear it down mentality that has been prevalent around here as of late.

We certainly need to make changes and especially behind the bench but no need to burn down the house.

I will duck for cover. Constructive criticism welcome. Attack the post not the poster.

Go Jets Go
I loved the game tonight and I rarely say that after a loss. That is what a playoff team looks like. They were very engaged in all three zones. Highly entertaining, good body Language 55, no quit.

Bottle that and sign me up.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Sure, Dubois will be more of a net benefit than Scheifele given the difference in age. That’s obvious. The point is though, Dubois doesn’t score like a top C and that lack of production is going to be felt. If our top C is in the 60-65 point range, Chevy better work some magic on that blue line and Helle better be up to the task the next couple years.
We have a challenge then because Mark puts up the points of a number 1 centre but he gets destroyed playing the position due to his defensive production notwithstanding his beauty game last night. We need to shelter the 2021-22 Mark scheifele so as a team we don’t really have what we need I guess?

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think we need to hope Cole grows into a Point/Aho caliber top C whether Mark stays or not to really reopen the window.
It’s allot of pressure on Cole but you pretty much nailed it. We won’t contend if he doesn’t round into a PPG scoring #1 centre that defends like Aho by the time he’s 23(ish). Aho is exactly what this team needs.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think we need to hope Cole grows into a Point/Aho caliber top C whether Mark stays or not to really reopen the window.
It’s allot of pressure on Cole but you pretty much nailed it. We won’t contend if he doesn’t round into a PPG scoring #1 centre that defends like Aho by the time he’s 23(ish). Aho is exactly what this team needs. They are pretty similar size. The next step would be Cole plays full time centre by next season and puts up about 55-60 points in a pretty sheltered role.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Very astute post. Offensively gifted players at a point per game level are a rare commodity. And Scheifele is one. And you need one at 1C.

PLD is not one. Yet. But his give a shit meter is thru the roof.

So big conundrum for Chevy when your 1C only really gives a shit when the moon is blue. But still gives you a point per game.

Short answer. You keep both. And Chevy will.
I think they have no choice but to keep both and hope a new coach plus a new team defensive system works. They likely have to move Schmidt and Dillon to make this work. The only thing is they have had two bad seasons with both of Scheif and PLD. This may truly be the case of putting the right system in place that accountd for having a floater like Scheif in the line up. For example,Morrisey willed this team to a tie. If more guys play like that consistently then it offsets Scheif's floating.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I watch Scheifele barely try in some games and end the night with 2 points. PLD works his ass off every shift yet only hits 60 points in a good year. Not discounting PLD's effort but the points aren't there at the level of a 1C on a cup contender. Maybe you can contend if you had 2 PLDs but if he's our 1C making 8 million a year next season we need more points out of him. I have no complaints about his game other than points, the physicality and effort is always there.
That's why Scheifele's play this season was so frustrating for me, if he played all season like last night we would be set at center for a long time. Scheifele and Dubois should be a great 1,2 punch down the middle.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I loved the game tonight and I rarely say that after a loss. That is what a playoff team looks like. They were very engaged in all three zones. Highly entertaining, good body Language 55, no quit.

Bottle that and sign me up.
I didn't get that impression at all. Didn't think either team played well. When I watch playoff teams right now.....it's like a different world.

Reactions: ps241

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I am first, foremost, and by far a hockey fan. However, I was watching the home opener for the Jays live last night, and watched bits and pieces of the Jets game. This org is at a crossroads, if die hard fans like me are tuning out, they are going to be in a bad spot if they don't make some real changes this offseason.

PS the Jays game was absolutely thrilling, more exciting than pretty much any Jets game this year AND they play double the games.

Morrissey was on a mission, Samberg should never be scratched over Stanley, and Hellebuyck has been so average this year.

Nice to see 55 show up in game 72.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Was fortunate to watch the game from a private box last night. Exciting game to be at. But in the end, just not quite good enough, the story of this season… Also, anyone else notice that 55 is more effective without 26?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am first, foremost, and by far a hockey fan. However, I was watching the home opener for the Jays live last night, and watched bits and pieces of the Jets game. This org is at a crossroads, if die hard fans like me are tuning out, they are going to be in a bad spot if they don't make some real changes this offseason.

PS the Jays game was absolutely thrilling, more exciting than pretty much any Jets game this year AND they play double the games.

Morrissey was on a mission, Samberg should never be scratched over Stanley, and Hellebuyck has been so average this year.

Nice to see 55 show up in game 72.

Last night was fun but this has been a massively disappointing season. I have never watched less Jets hockey. Sounds like a fun ball game.

Reactions: surixon

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I watch Scheifele barely try in some games and end the night with 2 points. PLD works his ass off every shift yet only hits 60 points in a good year. Not discounting PLD's effort but the points aren't there at the level of a 1C on a cup contender. Maybe you can contend if you had 2 PLDs but if he's our 1C making 8 million a year next season we need more points out of him. I have no complaints about his game other than points, the physicality and effort is always there.

Not saying PLD will ever put up Scheifele like point totals, but people forget that when Scheifele was PLD’s age, he was a 60 point player.

I don’t believe that PLD has hit his absolute peak and has already plateaued.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Not saying PLD will ever put up Scheifele like point totals, but people forget that when Scheifele was PLD’s age, he was a 60 point player.

I don’t believe that PLD has hit his absolute peak and has already plateaued.
I agree -
I'd also assume he will perform even better once the team issues are sorted out -
He's a player that has more potential than we have seen at this early age and under the current circumstances.
If we are to move on from Scheif (and I still believe we will), the team as a whole, will improve.
And that's the key from a macro view IMO - it's not just about these 2 players.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
Was at the game, was so nice to be there amongst good people on a Friday. The Jets effort was finally acceptable but we have no system whatsoever. We never broke out as a unit, the Avs constantly were allowed to rip shots from the slot. Meanwhile the Avs always attack as a unit of 5, they constantly have the motors running at maximum. The Avs look like a school of fish moving as 1. The Jets consistently do the opposite, we slow down through the neutral zone (usually because it's a 1 on 4). I miss the 2017 days of us flying out of our end as a unit. Anyway we really weren't that far off fron the Avs, just need an entire coaching overhaul.

Reactions: Jets 31 and ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Definitely and Connor will need to continue to score at his current rate and Ehlers will need to start producing at a higher rate. Still leaves the team thin if Scheifele leaves and a fair bit of his production isn’t replaced.

I think it comes to role with Fly. Hard to ask for o
More then the 65 point player he is given his current usage. Give him top line minutes and pp time and then I think you can expect more.

Reactions: Ducky10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad