Post-Game Talk: Close but no cigar Jets lose in OT 5-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I like what Samberg showed last night, stay healthy and be ready next year and Joshua's season on the back end is the only positive from the defense this year. We need Pionk to get back to playing the way he did when he first got here. Bringing Schmidt here was a mistake and Dillon has had an up and down season try to move 1 of them in the offseason. Demelo is not a top pairing D man and the jury is still out on Stanley being anything more than 6 or pb guy which leaves us Heinola who now that the Jets are out should be in the lineup for the last remaining games.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Helle is on track to play the highest number of minutes by a goalie since the 16-17 season. Also leads all goalies in that time frame by over 1000 minutes.
Tied for 4th in sv% for goalies over 10000 minutes in that span.
9th in GAA in that span
Has faced in the neighbourhood of 500 more SA than the next closest goalie in that span.
Faced the most HDSA the past 3 years.

I could go on, but why bother.

You can only ride a guy so long. The last 3 years have been a complete shit show from a workload and player management perspective. He’s the only reason this team hasn’t been a lottery team.

Pile on though people.
Overworked, obviously. Plus, over tired with a new baby in the house.

Jets have been among the most impacted teams with cap casualties. No $ for a legit back up that the coaches trust.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
That’s why I said offensively. I understand he contributes in other ways but his scoring is not that of a top C. His last 15 games have been terrible.
Dubois seems to have poor stamina. Anytime he has an extended shift (+45 seconds) he looks gassed.

Any talk of trading Scheifele HAS to be in conjunction with signing Dubois AND finding a legit top 6 C.

Reactions: Ducky10

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
That’s why I said offensively. I understand he contributes in other ways but his scoring is not that of a top C. His last 15 games have been terrible.
He might be one of the weakest 1c In offense in the league. And he isn't great defensively to make up for it.

For all the shit wheeler gets for pp assists or points. PLD has 13 pp goals vs 8 5v5 goals. It's great he's physical and plays with intensity and passion but you need production too. Notably at 5v5 hockey.

If we traded scheifele like some suggest we sure as hell better hope we get an experienced and established top 6 C either in the trade or FA.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Good game to watch. Started a little slowly, but the pace picked up and the crowd got into it. I will say that you could tell that neither team had too much on the line. It was no hit hockey for the most part.

Ehlers was on fire.
I actually saw Scheifele playing defence. No, really!
Barron and Samberg were OK. Didn't stand out - in a good way.
Pionk was involved. Morrissey was strong.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Good game to watch. Started a little slowly, but the pace picked up and the crowd got into it. I will say that you could tell that neither team had too much on the line. It was no hit hockey for the most part.

Ehlers was on fire.
I actually saw Scheifele playing defence. No, really!
Barron and Samberg were OK. Didn't stand out - in a good way.
Pionk was involved. Morrissey was strong.
Really, I thought Samberg was our second best d after morrissey.
It really makes me question why we brought in Dillion. Just should have run Mo Samberg Heinola.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
That's fine, I believe that at this point Dubois provides more of a net benefit than Scheifele. And at 23 vs 29 the difference between them will just continue to grow.
You might be right he may continue to grow and put up and increase his offense. Although he's been put in a great position to succeed throughout his career already. Playing high minutes with the likes of Panarin, Bjorkstrand or Connor and Ehlers.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities this might be the best version of PLD though. What age did scheifele peak in all around play again?

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
I could definitely be missing something but I don't understand the rhetoric around "needing" a ppg center, or needing to replace someone's production.

Isn't your only goal to have your team on the correct side of the ledger? Why is it valuable to have a PPG center if he carries a PPG+1 goals against cost?

Shouldn't the goal simply be to have 'plus' players? Who cares if you're losing 50 goals at the end of the season if you're also 'losing' 60 goals against?

This isn't an argument against keeping Scheifele, it's just an argument against the rhetoric being used. I think Scheif could potentially be a lot better than his last couple of seasons' worth of defensive stats and if he was coached, engaged, and really wanted to be better then he could be insanely valuable for us. But that wouldn't be just because he's PPG... it would be because he improved in our own end

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
It really makes me question why we brought in Dillion. Just should have run Mo Samberg Heinola.
Samberg had 12 sheltered minutes against the Avs, let’s not get ahead of ourselves here!

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Well firstly, I think going into the season it was a smart move to add actual NHL defensemen to our roster first and foremost.

Secondly, I’m not sure Samberg would have quite been ready at the start. It did take him some games to look like he belongs. Although @Whileee was very adamant that he was ready and perhaps he was. We’ll never know that answer though.

Thirdly, I’m not sure Dillon would look so bad if it wasn’t for our stupid defensive system. I’m sure under proper coaching he’d look fine.

That all said, Samberg looks exactly like the guy to replace Dillon and play top 4 minutes next season.

I’m really happy with how our defensive prospects have developed the last couple of years. Samberg, Heinola, Stanley, etc. I’m hoping we can get back to that stacked defense we had a couple of years ago or at least close. Even if not, I’m hoping we can have a steady flow of good defensive prospects ala Nashville.

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Very good effort from the Jets. There were times when they had Colorado bottled up in their own end. This can be a good team if they just commit to playing the right way all season. Very entertaining.
I thought Sanford continues to exceed expectations. :thumbu:

Reactions: Luc Labelle

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Hahaha, it was actually derived by a Lord of the Rings name generator back in the day when those movies were all the rage lol (inner nerd showing 😆)
Well I googled it and an Indian pop artist came up, I just figured you were a huge fan

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
He might be one of the weakest 1c In offense in the league. And he isn't great defensively to make up for it.

For all the shit wheeler gets for pp assists or points. PLD has 13 pp goals vs 8 5v5 goals. It's great he's physical and plays with intensity and passion but you need production too. Notably at 5v5 hockey.

If we traded scheifele like some suggest we sure as hell better hope we get an experienced and established top 6 C either in the trade or FA.
For me the solution is put 81-55-80 as a line. Big guns. Big points. Offensive zone aces. I agree with you in the respect that Dubois leaves me wanting a better effort, especially on the defensive side. And the penalties he's taken have hurt the team.

#2 line 27-25-26. Stastny does so many things right, night in night out, that go unnoticed. I like him in the middle of the ice, and I'd say Scheifele's 1st goal last night came from him playing centre.

I don't even have Perfetti in my top 6 next year, but as a top 6 level replacement. I'd start him off on the wing with Lowry to give him some room. Defensively I like his game, and see him as a guy who can turn defense into offense. Probably more effective on the PP. For any young player I think you earn your ice time, it's not anointed.

Same top 9 as 2 years ago, with some line adjustments. Perfetti replaces Copp. Takes his PP time.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

For a Dman to not stand out is usually good. The same could be said of a 4th liner, though I did notice both of them a bit making decent plays. But nothing outstanding.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
For me the solution is put 81-55-80 as a line. Big guns. Big points. Offensive zone aces. I agree with you in the respect that Dubois leaves me wanting a better effort, especially on the defensive side. And the penalties he's taken have hurt the team.

#2 line 27-25-26. Stastny does so many things right, night in night out, that go unnoticed. I like him in the middle of the ice, and I'd say Scheifele's 1st goal last night came from him playing centre.

I don't even have Perfetti in my top 6 next year, but as a top 6 level replacement. I'd start him off on the wing with Lowry to give him some room. Defensively I like his game, and see him as a guy who can turn defense into offense. Probably more effective on the PP. For any young player I think you earn your ice time, it's not anointed.

Same top 9 as 2 years ago, with some line adjustments. Perfetti replaces Copp. Takes his PP time.

I don't want Perfetti anywhere near Lowry. Lowry's style is not conducive of playing with skilled players. It would be a real bad spot to put a highly skilled player who likes to be creative. Playing with a simple chip and chase player would hurt that development. This is once again where this org runs into issues with their insistence on a top 6 and defensive third line setup. It's top 6 or fourth line for these creative guys.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't want Perfetti anywhere near Lowry. Lowry's style is not conducive of playing with skilled players. It would be a real bad spot to put a highly skilled player who likes to be creative. Playing with a simple chip and chase player would hurt that development. This is once again where this org runs into issues with their insistence on a top 6 and defensive third line setup. It's top 6 or fourth line for these creative guys.
I don't think his development would be hurt at all by playing with Lowry. If anything, he learns how to play a 2 way game. Jets strategy this year was pretty simple, drive the middle and create passing lanes by that net drive. Perfetti didn't exactly light it up playing with the two hottest guys on the team, early in the year, and you need points to earn points. But Adam Lowry is a guy who wins some pucks. Also you saw the kid get his shoulder wrecked with one big hit. Think teams are not going to go back at him, this is the NHL? A couple of shoulder injuries and Perfetti never hits his potential like the Nuge. I'm a big fan of protecting young players with guys who are tough. Make room for the skill to play. Lowry can make plays too, he's not a hack.

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
A little late responding, however I was just too bagged last night to get into things.

As for thoughts, Morrissey was playing inspired hockey - he does have great hands and is a very fluid skater. Occasionally makes a bad decision to pinch at the line and gets caught flat-footed if the puck skips on him. A proper defensive coach will instruct him to start his momentum backwards towards the line before a pinch so as to be ready to backcheck if this happens. A simple change in his game that will pay dividends.

Scheifele was looking to shoot far more tonight, and it was great to see as he has an elite release. Could have easily had another 1-2. Just wish he would be more aggressive with the puck, as I think teams would not be able to handle his skill and size. Something has been going on with Schief the past couple of years - he seems lost, and needs direction. Maurice was a great motivator, and I think Scheif responded well to that part of his coaching style, however when the results don't follow, those words start to ring hollow. I think Scheif would respond very well to a high-discipline style coach, as he is very much a by-the-book hockey player, and disciplined teams are rewarded in today's NHL, so the results would follow.

Samberg looked great as well, good on his edges, was able to make some pretty skilled passes which led to some breakaways. I remember Pionk doing this a great deal in his first year here. Small sample size however, so I need to see more before I say he is ready to take a spot on the roster. Ditto Kovacevic/Chisolm.

Which leads me to Pionk - he has had a pretty forgettable season. Not terrible, but pretty mediocre - he must have a nagging injury that is hampering his skating (groin maybe?) as he seems to be having all sorts of issues with positioning this year. This hasn't been an issue with him before, so it was odd to see. Hopefully an off-season of healing and conditioning will lead to the return of the Pionk of yesteryear.

Dillon is a pretty average defenceman - he doesn't deal with pressure particularly well, and will often send the puck into high danger areas when forechecked, making life difficult for his defensive partner. Don't know if this is correctable at this point in his career, and if not I wouldn't be averse to trading him in the off-season and filling his spot with Heinola/Stanley. The one upside is that he is physical, and we don't have a ton of that on our blue-line.

Heinola has been pretty good in the limited time we've seen him - he's good under pressure and can make some great breakout passes. The one knock on him is his physicality - he is often unable to do much net-front as he cannot handle opposing forwards with size and routinely gets burned.

Stanley is a frustrating case, as he has that fantastic size, but he rarely leverages it. I've never seen a big man knocked over as much as I have with him - it doesn't make any sense. He should easily be able to clear out the front of the net, and yet we so rarely see it. He needs to work on his balance and core. I think we have to use him sparingly, but keep him as a deterrent to other teams as they will start to tee off on our forwards otherwise.

Schmidt has been... okay. He shoots the puck and has a decent offensive upside to his game, however like Dillon he freezes under pressure and will make some terrible plays when forechecked (which is where the game is headed, so this is a pretty glaring weakness). Judging from his interviews, he seems to not deal with adversity particularly well in any facet of his life, as he routinely says he doesn't respond well to negativity and prefers to be an optimist. Nothing necessarily wrong with being an optimist, but you can't just ignore adversity... Comes across as a bit of a snowflake. Unfortunately $6m is a little too high to be spending on a marginally better Dillon. I think we move Schmidt in the off-season.

DeMelo is a good second or third pairing defenceman - nothing flashy, next to zero offensive upside, but is very good positionally and at reading the play (for the most part). Very much a blue-collar defenceman. We'd be dumb to move him on his contract.

I like Sanford's hands and positioning - he's still new to the team and is finding his place, but in the limited time he's been here he's been buzzing in the offensive zone, and also plays a good defensive game. I think with some more reps with the guys he could be a good piece. Good potential here.

Appleton has looked a little slower than I remember - hard to say. Again, limited sample size this year and with any luck he'll be flying again next year.

Wheeler has looked like a different player the past couple of weeks, which has been great to see, I just wish the effort had been there from the start. I don't know what has changed, but I can't help but think he is trying to boost his value at the end of the season to ensure his place on the roster for the next coach. Unfortunately there is the rest of the season to serve as a body of evidence, and his play has been so lacklustre for so long that I sure to hell hope our new coach isn't fooled. Again, the captain has to lead by example. Hasn't been happening.

Connor/Dubois/Ehlers/Svech/Lowry - these have been our most consistent offensive players, and have shown the most consistent effort all season. Ehlers hasn't scored as much as we have seen in the past, however he is shooting the puck and is skating - the goals will continue to come if we use him more. Connor is an elite scorer - just need him to keep backchecking to keep teams honest. Dubois doesn't score a ton yes, but that isn't his role - he's a mucking forechecker like Lowry, but with better hands. Lowry does what he does, pretty independently of who is paired with him. Svech was done dirty this season - did everything the coach could have asked of him and more, and gets moved around the lineup and his ice-time cut. My guess is he has a mouth on him and it gets him in trouble.

Ves/Toninato/Harkins/Barron - I had high hopes for Harkins when we signed him, but it looks like he's going to end up a 4th liner for his career. Just way too inconsistent. Ves/Toninato - not skilled enough for today's NHL, and I could take them or leave them.

Perfetti - liked what I've seen from him in his limited time, but he needs to put on some size or he's going to spend his career injured. Maybe we need to move him down the lineup, like a Matty P. type of player? I don't know. Hopefully he is able to bulk up somewhat and this becomes a non-issue.

Barron - has been middling, but way too early to tell what we have with him.

Hellebuyck - definitely having an off year, but again, my theory is that his newborn is messing with his energy levels and reaction time, and I predict he'll be back to his usual self next year (unless he and his wife decide to have another baby :skeptic:).

Comrie - has performed his duties as a backup excellently, and has really taken that worry from the team when Broissoit left. Great job Eric! Keep it up! I don't think we should use him too much more, as again, he can be exposed when playing high-tempo, puck moving teams.

To those that are saying that Chevy has to go based on his abilities as a GM, that's ridiculous - he's been a magician for us with players during his tenure here, and I guarantee we circle the drain of the NHL if he goes. With that said, his achilles heel is coaches - he's not great at assessing coaching prowess, so I'm a little bit nervous about the next coaching team. With that said, we have to make a change, and Lowry, Kompon and Huddy we thank you for your many years of faithful service, but it is time to move on to a new voice.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
PLD Scheif Svech...Svech PLD Scheif?
KC Perfetti Ehlers
Hark Stastny Wheeler
Gus/Fred Lowry Apples

JMo DD
Samberg Pionk
Heinola Schmidt
Stanimal Kovs

Helle Comrie

Julien
Patrick/Muller

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The team played a good game.

I didn't care for goals 2, 3 and 4 on Helle. He should have had 2 and 3 and the rebound he gave up on 4 was pretty bad.

Morrissey was fantastic. His game is great at both ends. He's really added dimensions to it this year and I love the confidence. We get a more modern offensive scheme next year and JoMo will score a bunch of points playing as he is.

Samberg is a good player. Great skating, quick reads and good hands and a breakout. He is what a modern defensive dmen is. He will be on the team full time next year and it wouldn't surprise me if he forces his way into the top 4.

Dubois is just snake bite right now. He's had a number of chances lately and just is 🥶

Ehlers was flying

If we got this Mark most nights there would be no one talking about him in a negative manner. He was back looking like he did 16-18. He was engaged, fighting hard for pucks, working to half the play up. Playing reasonably well in his end. He was also much better in terms of demeanor on the ice and was laughing and having fun out there for a change. I have no idea what the change was but this version of Mark is welcome on the team.

I didn't at all like the new PP setups and the lack of familiarity showed.

Ehlers was on fire.

He was a firefly. :laugh:

:laugh: Sorry, dad joke. I am entitled and I couldn't resist. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad