Value of: Claude Giroux

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Relax, it's just conversations. Lets talk in 12 months. You may be right or you may be wrong ;). That contract is massive and lets see how much Giroux rebounds.

I'll relax when you quit telling us you can see the future, that Giroux can't break 60 points again, and that we should sell him for pieces that don't make any sense for the make up of this team.

I wouldn't dare argue with you about why the habs should or shouldnt make a trade because i would expect for you to know your team better than me. If every flyers fan in this thread is telling you that Montreal doesn't have the pieces that fit the Flyers needs to trade Giroux, please, just trust us. It'll work out better for all in the end.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yes, and the position he plays very likely was one of the reasons he was passed over by the coaches and GM of that team.

Perry is a very good player in his own right. His chemistry with Getzlaf helps, but to suggest Perry only made the team because of Getzlaf is silly. And Duchene could play center or left wing, so that gave him an edge over Giroux.

Even if he did make the Sochi team, he's likely a healthy scratch like he was in the World Cup.

Perry is a good player, but much like you pointed out with Duchene, Giroux can olay C or RW, which by your definition, would have given him the edge over Perry, no?

Not gonna bother with the scratched comment, as neither of us have the ability to look in to the past at a scenario that never happened. Your implication is that he wasn't good enough to make the team. Go back and look, it was widely regarded (along with Couture, iirc) that it was one of the bigger snubs for an olympic roster in recent history.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'll relax when you quit telling us you can see the future, that Giroux can't break 60 points again, and that we should sell him for pieces that don't make any sense for the make up of this team.

I wouldn't dare argue with you about why the habs should or shouldnt make a trade because i would expect for you to know your team better than me. If every flyers fan in this thread is telling you that Montreal doesn't have the pieces that fit the Flyers needs to trade Giroux, please, just trust us. It'll work out better for all in the end.

One opinion vs another. Don't be so defensive and try to tell others what to do. Also, I like it when posters say "everybody else agrees with me" so I'm right. Stick to your opinion and relax if others don't agree with you. You make it sound like this "Giroux" rumor is created by me. So not true and so many people have noticed the same thing I have ;)

I also don't like Galchenyuk trade offers but I'm not flipping out like you are. I realize other teams are interested for a reason when guys like Galchenyuk, Giroux, Duchene's names pop up.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's really quite simple.

Not trading Giroux today because we are not throwing Patrick to the wolves.

Check back in a year once we see how both he and Patrick do.

And the one thing that doesn't seem to be understood by some, is if we traded Giroux NOW, we need a top 6 C coming back because again, not throwing Patrick to the wolves.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Perry is a good player, but much like you pointed out with Duchene, Giroux can olay C or RW, which by your definition, would have given him the edge over Perry, no?

Not if they believe Perry is just the better player at that position.

Not gonna bother with the scratched comment, as neither of us have the ability to look in to the past at a scenario that never happened. Your implication is that he wasn't good enough to make the team. Go back and look, it was widely regarded (along with Couture, iirc) that it was one of the bigger snubs for an olympic roster in recent history.

Actually it did happen, in the World Cup.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
One opinion vs another. Don't be so defensive and try to tell others what to do. Also, I like it when posters say "everybody else agrees with me" so I'm right. Stick to your opinion and relax if others don't agree with you. You make it sound like this "Giroux" rumor is created by me. So not true and so many people have noticed the same thing I have ;)

I also don't like Galchenyuk trade offers but I'm not flipping out like you are. I realize other teams are interested for a reason when guys like Galchenyuk, Giroux, Duchene's names pop up.

If you've been in our trade threads in the last two years, specifically those involving Couturier and Simmonds, then I think you would understand why we get frustrated.

It's an endless stream of nonsense regarding players that we really don't want to trade.

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX

I havent seen one credible source where Giroux was listed on the trade block. there are plenty of credible sources saying Duchene and Galchenyuk are on the trade block.

If you go back to the earlier pages, you will see that you consistently told us what Giroux is worth while we told you plenty of times that we disagree and provided you with ample proof as to why (which you ignored).

On another note, I keep seeing that the Flyers have Center depth which is only true to a certain extent. Rubstov, Patrick, Frost, Vorobyov etc have not played 1 minute yet for the Flyers, it would be foolish to expect that these players can step in and contribute even half of what Giroux can at this point. These are very young players we are talking about, while they are all highly touted it is unlikely that they all pan out to be studs. The flyers need to hold tight, and continue to develop these guys so that when they do make it to the Flyers, they are in a position to succeed and dont need to carry the weight of the team immediately.

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
Would something like this work for everyone?

To Nashville:
Claude Giroux
Wayne Simmonds

To Philadelphia:
Matt Duchene
Tyson Barrie

To Colorado:
Craig Smith (cap dump)
Vladislav Kamenev
Dante Fabbro
Robert Hagg
Nashville 2018 1st
Nashville 2019 2nd

Nashville would load up for another cup run, and hopefully Lavy can rekindle Giroux. Philly gets out from Giroux's contract , but gets a similar player back and a Dman perfect for their system. Colorado gets several good pieces for their rebuild, and hopefully quiets trade distractions.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Right, so when people propose Galchenyuk to XXX threads, and repeatedly get told "No, it doesn't work for us", but continue to bring it up, it doesnt get frustrating for you? I'm sure if i bothered to look in your post history to quote them, i could find them, but i dont care enough.

On second though, i may not be able to find it, because a rational person, after having team needs, positional depth, and state of the team, explained in detail to them would not continue to tell a fan base how their lines should be set up, and who they should trade players for.

Call me crazy, but if 99/100 people say "This is probably what should be", I'm tempted to believe them, especially when they can provide facts to support their argument.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Not if they believe Perry is just the better player at that position.

Actually it did happen, in the World Cup.

I was referring to him potentially being scratched at the Olympics. ITs kind of bogus to claim something 'probably would have' happened, when we;ll never know. Whatever supports your argument though.

As an aside, if i remember correctly, he chose to skip the Olympic camps as he was recovering from an injury after the 13 playoffs. You can't skip a camp youre not invited to, so clearly team canada was interested. But, sure, coaches and GMs didnt want him.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

To Nashville:
Claude Giroux
Wayne Simmonds

To Philadelphia:
Matt Duchene
Tyson Barrie

To Colorado:
Craig Smith (cap dump)
Vladislav Kamenev
Dante Fabbro
Robert Hagg
Nashville 2018 1st
Nashville 2019 2nd

Nashville would load up for another cup run, and hopefully Lavy can rekindle Giroux. Philly gets out from Giroux's contract , but gets a similar player back and a Dman perfect for their system. Colorado gets several good pieces for their rebuild, and hopefully quiets trade distractions.

Flyers get hosed. How are getting out of Gs contract only to have a similar contact with Duchene in two years. Simmonds has a ton of value alone.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It's really quite simple.

Not trading Giroux today because we are not throwing Patrick to the wolves.

Check back in a year once we see how both he and Patrick do.

And the one thing that doesn't seem to be understood by some, is if we traded Giroux NOW, we need a top 6 C coming back because again, not throwing Patrick to the wolves.

Say it until you are blue in the face, all youre gonna get is :tmi:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

To Nashville:
Claude Giroux
Wayne Simmonds

To Philadelphia:
Matt Duchene
Tyson Barrie

To Colorado:
Craig Smith (cap dump)
Vladislav Kamenev
Dante Fabbro
Robert Hagg
Nashville 2018 1st
Nashville 2019 2nd

Philly isnt looking to get out of G's contract only to sign Duchene to a similar one.

Barrie is nice, but he;s hardly a perfect fit. We don't evenhave room for him with Ghost playing a similar role, and Sanheim on the way.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Because of a few reasons.

- Flyers are stacked up the middle. They may not be ready to trade Giroux but they have solid depth after Giroux.

- Flyers can use the Cap space to improve their team.

- Habs need a top 2 center.

- I'm concerned with Giroux and his decline over the last few seasons but I still think he is a 60 pts center for the rest of his contract (age 30-34)

- Patch helps the Flyers on LW and his contract is one of the best in the league. Hate to trade Patch but he's the guy we get our best return for in a trade. Flyers can try to re sign him or trade him at the trade deadline 2 seasons from now and he would fetch quite the return!

I just look across the league and Giroux's name will keep popping up due to Flyers depth at center, his decline in stats, and his contract. I'm not the only one who has noticed this and won't be the last.

You say you believe he'll score 60 points a year for the remainder of his deal. Who on the Flyers is going to replace that production? If they trade Giroux, they are no longer "stacked" down the middle. They're left with the same issue that's plagued them since 2013 except relying on an unproven 19 year old to produce a huge part of the offense.

We can both agree that Pacioretty is on a great contract and he'd be a great addition to any contender. Why would a team trade their number 1 center to get him though if they are looking to capitalize on that value? I don't expect you to know everything about the Flyers, but they have Voracek, Simmonds, Konecny, and Lindblom to likely occupy their top 6 wing positions. They've drafted SIX forwards in the top 2 rounds in just the last 2 drafts. They have players like Raffl and Weise locked up for a few years who will also be on the roster. I like Pacioretty, the Flyers don't have any need for him though considering where they are at. He's also not the type of player you give a monster contract too, which is what he'll be looking for when his current deal is up.

Another question, what are the Flyers going to try and get with this extra cap space? Before you say goalie, Hextall isn't spending any money there because he believes in what they have coming up through the system. Before you say defense, Hextall has already committed to the youth movement on the back end. We just went over what they have on the wings. My best guess is they'd be looking for a center that can produce 60+ points on offense. You think Hextall wants to trade what it would cost to bring in a top 6 center instead of just holding onto his captain?

I understand the logic behind trading Giroux if the pieces coming back are young top 6 potential centers with #1 potential, but that's unlikely to happen due to the value of those players around the league. Montreal just does not fit with what the flyers would want.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
negative value. 5 years left at almost 8.3 mil for a slow small declining production center. no thanks.

This.

Hate the player and think he has been the benefit of generous officiating his whole career. If he washed out of the NHL he can take up Olympic diving. Or if they make whining and shooting dark glares at people a sport he would be great at that as well.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
This.

Hate the player and think he has been the benefit of generous officiating his whole career. If he washed out of the NHL he can take up Olympic diving. Or if they make whining and shooting dark glares at people a sport he would be great at that as well.

This thread is about Claude Giroux, not Sidney Crosby.

Reactions: Sasso09

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Very similar in that way actually.

You have to be thinking of the wrong guy. Giroux doesnt do stares, he has no problem going to someone and chirping them if something happens on the ice.

I'm not sure ive ever heard him make excuses, or anything of the such, but hey, to each their own. Sorry he did whatever it is that he did to you.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
This.

Andddddd this thread has officially jumped the shark.

Lock it up

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3