Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
I think as far as prospects go that’s not too bad. Behrens is right in that Helleson/Barron tier and has some pretty high upside offensively and I’d take Foudy over Kaut and Ranta. If he makes the NHL he’ll be one of the best skaters in the league and while he doesn’t have the other physical gifts that Ranta has he’s also not nearly as brain dead. Could be a real solid 3rd liner.

Behrens has the highest potential out of Barron/Helleson/Behrens and plenty of Avs fans prefer him out of the three.

Probably a bit more risk since he’s a bit undersized, but Behrens is an underrated prospect.

We have enough undersized players and it’s clearly not working out. I don’t think I’ll be happy with anything we get for Giroux. I do ultimately hope he comes back this summer and we resign him so we have at least some stability of Vets around for what I’m hoping is a rebuild, I don’t trust Fletcher at all to handle any of this correctly.

It’s just getting tough to grasp that Giroux is likely being dealt at this deadline.

And if you need some help on defense, we’d probably add Braun to the package if that’s something Colorado would want.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
We have enough undersized players and it’s clearly not working out. I don’t think I’ll be happy with anything we get for Giroux. I do ultimately hope he comes back this summer and we resign him so we have at least some stability of Vets around for what I’m hoping is a rebuild, I don’t trust Fletcher at all to handle any of this correctly.

It’s just getting tough to grasp that Giroux is likely being dealt at this deadline.

And if you need some help on defense, we’d probably add Braun to the package if that’s something Colorado would want.
I imagine it’ll be hard to swallow any return for a club legend like him. And while I like Behrens a lot I’d still prefer the other two to him I think.

Behrens: Possibly the most ultimate upside but the riskiest of the 3.

Barron: More upside than Helleson for sure but more of a 2 way guy that needs some work defensively

Helleson: Safest bet to transition to the NHL, but would probably at best be a shutdown 4D type.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Good proposal for both sides.
Not really, that's a big price to pay for Colorado. Behrens is outperforming his draft position this year and Foudy is probably a late 1st round level talent in the eyes of Avs scouts. Many Avs fans would have been happy if he had been our 1st round pick where Barron was taken.

Reactions: jabubenice

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I have no clue. I would still think that the Flyers are the frontrunners to sign him in the offseason. Not saying that another team couldn't resign him either. Like the Avs could potentially resign him especially if/when Kadri walks (for example).
Agents particularly are aware of the flat cap. While I think the flyers remain interested if g were to hit the market I think his suitor then could be different than his suitors now. It's one of the reasons Colorado is high on the list as he could resign there.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a go ahead to begin negotiations prior to a trade. I had g penciled in at 4x7. If this were to be the case I think his value goes up significantly

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Agents particularly are aware of the flat cap. While I think the flyers remain interested if g were to hit the market I think his suitor then could be different than his suitors now. It's one of the reasons Colorado is high on the list as he could resign there.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a go ahead to begin negotiations prior to a trade. I had g penciled in at 4x7. If this were to be the case I think his value goes up significantly
It would be in Giroux's best interest to wait until after he's traded to discuss an extension. That way his new team gets to keep more picks/prospects that can be used to improve the team in the next 2-3 years to give Giroux a better chance at winning a cup.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
It would be in Giroux's best interest to wait until after he's traded to discuss an extension. That way his new team gets to keep more picks/prospects that can be used to improve the team in the next 2-3 years to give Giroux a better chance at winning a cup.

lol yeah I’m sure Giroux is really galaxy braining to this extent lol cmon man

Reactions: SnS

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
This thread has hit 50 pages. That means a trade will 100% take place. And it will be whichever trade was proposed the most on this board that happens in real life. Joe and Chuck are sifting through the pages at this moment.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Depends on how loyal he is feeling to Philly who he might have done right by him so think I’ll get my cups now and hopefully the return will be enough to let them win in the future.
Maybe get a job with the team in the future like Joe Sakic as their future gm.

Last edited:

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Not really, that's a big price to pay for Colorado. Behrens is outperforming his draft position this year and Foudy is probably a late 1st round level talent in the eyes of Avs scouts. Many Avs fans would have been happy if he had been our 1st round pick where Barron was taken.
Flyers fan: "Giroux to Avs for future considerations"
Avs fan: "FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS IS TOO MUCH TO PAY"

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Flyers fan: "Giroux to Avs for future considerations"
Avs fan: "FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS IS TOO MUCH TO PAY"
I haven’t read every post in here… but there’s a lot of proposals involving Helleson and Barron which are pretty nice pieces, especially for a UFA. But ok.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
This thread has hit 50 pages. That means a trade will 100% take place. And it will be whichever trade was proposed the most on this board that happens in real life. Joe and Chuck are sifting through the pages at this moment.

Most of the rumours and proposals on this Board never happen.

I expect CG to stay or traded elsewhere after Sakic balks at the demands and adds other pieces.

Reactions: AslanRH

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
I'm willing to bet that if/when Giroux gets traded you're really not going to like the return, rentals don't fetch what's essentially 2 1sts and a 2nd.
If anyone is gonna be let down its the fans of buyer teams, since all ya'll offering the cheapest available assets everytime.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
If anyone is gonna be let down its the fans of buyer teams, since all ya'll offering the cheapest available assets everytime.
What the f*** are you talking about? The assets being offered by Avs fans in this thread, i.e. a 1st, Barron, Helleson, Behrens, aren’t cheap throw-ins especially for a rebuilding (or even just retooling) team. I don’t know what world you live where a 34 year old pending UFA is going to net you some huge haul.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Good proposal for both sides.

Behrens has the highest potential out of Barron/Helleson/Behrens and plenty of Avs fans prefer him out of the three.

Probably a bit more risk since he’s a bit undersized, but Behrens is an underrated prospect.

This is a smart proposal.

Smart flyer posters suggested those guys and another poster put it together so it wasn’t me but I liked it. I think it would be a good haul. It would be great to get a 2nd as well but Chuck Fletcher.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Colorado needs to do this.

They have a history of scoring a Cup after trading for a French Canadian star.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
What the f*** are you talking about? The assets being offered by Avs fans in this thread, i.e. a 1st, Barron, Helleson, Behrens, aren’t cheap throw-ins especially for a rebuilding (or even just retooling) team. I don’t know what world you live where a 34 year old pending UFA is going to net you some huge haul.
Bro most of you don't even wanna give up that shit... its like every one of your prospects and players are untouchable unless its like Jost or something, even then Avs fans will say he costs too much. Avs should just stick with their team as is, since the fans can't stand losing a single asset from the org even for an upgrade to their team.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
We all know you have a massive hard-on for Giroux but a 34 year old pending UFA who's unlikely to re-sign isn't worth what amounts to 2 1sts and a 2nd. Honestly, who's the last rental that got that type of return?

I'm not advocating that the avs should or would make that trade, but regarding the bolded- Let's turn this around: when's the last time a rental of Girouxs stature has been available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad