Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Will the Colorado Avalanche trade for Claude Giroux? - NHL Trade Rumors

Elliotte Friedman was on Sportsnet radio’s Jeff Marek Show and reports the Colorado Avalanche are interested in a Claude Giroux trade.
Friedman went on to say, the biggest challenge I have with a Giroux trade is, can you make Giroux’s salary cap hit work? If Giroux wants to go chase a Stanley Cup that’s a team you go to, one, and two I see a fit there. Giroux does own a no-trade clause so he can ultimately decide the team he wants to go to and if he wants to be traded or not?

Also from Friedman’s 32 thoughts blog yesterday:

7. During All-Star, expect Claude Giroux to sit down with his agent (Pat Brisson) to discuss his future. I think there are Avalanche players who’d love to have him. The question is if the organization decides that’s the move they need to make. The right-hand shot makes sense. But it won’t be easy for Colorado to fit. That means the possibility of a third team, which raises the asset cost. There’s still time for it to play out, and Giroux has control.

Doesn’t seem to be anything imminent by any means but there definitely seems to be some smoke with Colorado so I thought it was worthy of a “speculation” tag.

edit: also not sure how reputable this guy is but here’s another audio snippet of some Giroux/Colorado speculation:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Avs would need to get double-retention on Giroux's $8.275m aav to make the cap fit. That should be doable though as Giroux's base salary this year is $4m, of which only like $1m will be left to pay at the deadline. So in real cash that would leave ~$500k for Philadelphia to retain 50%, and ~$250k for the third wheel team to retain another 50%. Toronto did the same last year with Foligno at the cost of a 4th round pick.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
What do flyers fans think would be fair as a return for retaining salary? Does a deal exist if Byram and Newhook are off the table (a likely scenario)?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If you look at what Avs fans think a good price is for JT Miller who is performing better and has another year, you aren’t going to land both kids. Likely they won’t want to part with either.

I would guess their offers will be the likes of Kaut, Bowers, Barron, etc and or their 2023 first rounder since their 2022 one belongs to AZ.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
What do flyers fans think would be fair as a return for retaining salary? Does a deal exist if Byram and Newhook are off the table (a likely scenario)?

Yeah there definitely is a deal to be done. Both are off the table. Newhook is already having NHL success and Byram has unfortunate health problems right now. Flyers can obviously retain, take back expiring cap dumps...

hiptanaka

Jan 12, 2006
Woonsocket
If you look at what Avs fans think a good price is for JT Miller who is performing better and has another year, you aren’t going to land both kids. Likely they won’t want to part with either.

I would guess their offers will be the likes of Kaut, Bowers, Barron, etc and or their 2023 first rounder since their 2022 one belongs to AZ.

For an upcoming UFA? No.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Avs would need to get double-retention on Giroux's $8.275m aav to make the cap fit. That should be doable though as Giroux's base salary this year is $4m, of which only like $1m will be left to pay at the deadline. So in real cash that would leave ~$500k for Philadelphia to retain 50%, and ~$250k for the third wheel team to retain another 50%. Toronto did the same last year with Foligno at the cost of a 4th round pick.
Anaheim could jump in and help, I imagine Anaheim would love to grab a 3rd and 4th for up coming draft…. Kinda an easy way to snag a 4th

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I just think Philly can get more than whatever the Avs can offer if Newhook and Byram are off the table.

I'd love to get G in Colorado though and I think he would absolutely thrive on the team.
Giroux's NMC will allow him to dictate which contender to go to, and will thus limit the return somewhat, just as it did with Hall to Boston.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
My suggestion:

Barron + 1st + Compher for Giroux 50% retained.

Arizona also jumps in and retains another 50% of Giroux’s salary and also adds Johan Larsson for Tyson Jost and a conditional pick.
Arizona only have one retention slot remaining this year which is probably earmarked for Kessel or Strålman.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

It's not off the table, but if I'm Fletcher (and thank god I'm not because he blows) - I'm insisting it's Byram or Newhook and threaten to go elsewhere, hoping you get that or a 1st +

No you won't. We can take a contract back I'm sure to straight even it out.

Now if it's 3+ years of a big contract, then we probably can't take that back.

Reactions: Chuck Downie

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Giroux would dominate in Colorado. If the avs already had the goaltending security, and probably another solid dman, this would be more of a no brainer.
I would suggest that an opportunity to bring in a player like Claude Giroux takes precedent. The goaltending has been trending in the right direction, and -- others may disagree -- but I think moving for Giroux makes way more sense, given the makeup of the team, than someone like Klingberg or Chychrun.

Reactions: Mac Attack

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
It's not off the table, but if I'm Fletcher (and thank god I'm not because he blows) - I'm insisting it's Byram or Newhook and threaten to go elsewhere, hoping you get that or a 1st +

I mean a top 4 pick blue chip prospect is not getting moved for a rental even if they retained 90% of his salary.

Reactions: nightonthesun

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
It’s doable, but won’t come cheap and would require a 3rd team to help Colorado make the salary work, along with JT Compher going back to Philadelphia.

the furthest Sakic would go is one of Barron or Helleson, along with next year’s first and a mid level prospect (Ranta, Foudy, Kaut, Behrens).

Philly will ask for Olauson as second prospect above those listed, and Joe will have to think hard.

I wonder what “there are Avalanche players who’d love to have him” means. I mean, everyone would love to have him. Wonder what that angle is.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It’s doable, but won’t come cheap and would require a 3rd team to help Colorado make the salary work, along with JT Compher going back to Philadelphia.

the furthest Sakic would go is one of Barron or Helleson, along with next year’s first and a mid level prospect (Ranta, Foudy, Kaut, Behrens).

Philly will ask for Olauson as second prospect above those listed, and Joe will have to think hard.

I wonder what “there are Avalanche players who’d love to have him” means. I mean, everyone would love to have him. Wonder what that angle is.
That would be Mr. Sakic making sure that info gets to Giroux. He has a full NMC. Try to get him focused on one destination only so the Flyers have less leverage in a trade.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Giroux can use his full NTC to limit the Flyers options significantly. He ain’t getting shopped league wide. Flyers GM doesn’t have much leverage here.

2023 1st, JTC + Sean Behrens for Giroux at 50% retained.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Giroux can use his full NTC to limit the Flyers options significantly. He ain’t getting shopped league wide. Flyers GM doesn’t have much leverage here.

2023 1st, JTC + Sean Behrens for Giroux at 50% retained.

Well he's got a NMC, but yes I understand what you're saying. To be fair, that just means he *can* shut trades down, but he may be open to any contender (and any contender will be the ones bidding, not basement teams).

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
Flyers absolutely need either Newhook or a package involving Olausson and a 1st for Giroux. If not, they shouldn't gift the Avs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad