Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Getting Olauson though would be a coup.
Not really. Olausson and a low 1st is the going rate for a player of Giroux's caliber. That's a fair trade--not a coup. Giroux would help the Avs drastically and they still get to keep their 3 best prospects off the table.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
Not really. Olausson and a low 1st is the going rate for a player of Giroux's caliber. That's a fair trade--not a coup. Giroux would help the Avs drastically and they still get to keep their 3 best prospects off the table.

Agreed on the going rate. Olausson is arguably in that top 3 for the Avs though. It’s early returns of course, kid hasn’t even played a full junior season yet and we didn’t get to see WJCs. But after Barron and Annunen, Oscar’s shot is elite enough to dream on becoming like an Andre Burakovsky.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
It’s doable, but won’t come cheap and would require a 3rd team to help Colorado make the salary work, along with JT Compher going back to Philadelphia.

the furthest Sakic would go is one of Barron or Helleson, along with next year’s first and a mid level prospect (Ranta, Foudy, Kaut, Behrens).

Philly will ask for Olauson as second prospect above those listed, and Joe will have to think hard.

I wonder what “there are Avalanche players who’d love to have him” means. I mean, everyone would love to have him. Wonder what that angle is.
I'd rather keep G at the trade deadline than give him up for that.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Giroux can use his full NTC to limit the Flyers options significantly. He ain’t getting shopped league wide. Flyers GM doesn’t have much leverage here.

2023 1st, JTC + Sean Behrens for Giroux at 50% retained.
lol I'm never picking up the phone again if I'm fletcher and that's the offer. Offensive, honestly.

Reactions: Mandalorian

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

He is a UFA and a full no trade clause. The team essentially gave him the right to choose where he wants to go.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
I feel something around the below works for a pure rental. Philly gets 2 guys that go right into their line up tomorrow, a top 5 prospect of the Avs farm system and a 1st in next year’s deep draft.

2023 1st
Helleson
Compher
Kaut/Bowers

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Avs fans don't want to give up too much for JT Miller who has 1 year left on his deal...what is Colorado willing to part with for pendinf UFA Giroux???

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

Probably from a perspective of where Olausson was drafted. But from a development perspective and needs (he's the immediate replacement for Bura in the offseason most likely) it just seems unlikely to happen as an Avs fan.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
lol I'm never picking up the phone again if I'm fletcher and that's the offer. Offensive, honestly.
Flyers will have a finite number of teams to trade him too so that will negatively effect his value. Flyers won’t be hitting any home runs on a deal here. It’s a matter of do you take something or let him play out his deal in a lost season.

but assume what the Flyers get in compensation will look a lot more like a base hit than a grand slam. Sakic, thru the media, very clearly planting a seed in this players mind that the Avs want him. So hopefully he tells his GM he wants to go there and Sakic gives the flyers a 2023 1st and filler. Something is better than nothing.

2023 1st + Behrens + JT Compher for Giroux.

Last edited:

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Avs fans don't want to give up too much for JT Miller who has 1 year left on his deal...what is Colorado willing to part with for pendinf UFA Giroux???

Not just different in that respect. But also Giroux can decide where he wants to go. JTM doesn't have anything like that.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Vancouver is in a better spot to trade JT Miller than Philly is Giroux.

it’s not just the player when it comes to digesting the value of a deal and right parts to offer. It’s his leverage. Giroux has a metric ton of leverage with his NTC.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If you look at what Avs fans think a good price is for JT Miller who is performing better and has another year, you aren’t going to land both kids. Likely they won’t want to part with either.

I would guess their offers will be the likes of Kaut, Bowers, Barron, etc and or their 2023 first rounder since their 2022 one belongs to AZ.

Yeah, I get that there is some "smoke" to the Giroux rumours, but it would seem like Miller should be a much more palatable option to the Avs. Their entire second line are pending UFAs, Miller is still signed for another year, and at 50% retention would have a very accomodating cap hit.

But yes, lmao at these offers Flyers fans want for Giroux. Avs fans were balking at some of my JT Miller proposals and they didn't even include Newhook or Byram. Flyers fans are asking for more than that.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Yeah, I get that there is some "smoke" to the Giroux rumours, but it would seem like Miller should be a much more palatable option to the Avs. Their entire second line are pending UFAs, Miller is still signed for another year, and at 50% retention would have a very accomodating cap hit.

But yes, lmao at these offers Flyers fans want for Giroux. Avs fans were balking at some of my JT Miller proposals and they didn't even include Newhook or Byram. Flyers fans are asking for more than that.

Some Flyers fans have been upset with some of the offers, which is kind of understandable. But the reality is that Fletcher has said he'll try to accommodate CG. If Fletcher throws a fit and acts as some of the fans are describing (decides to ride out the year without trading CG and getting something for him), these same fans will complain about Fletcher if they hear Colorado offered a 2023 first and he turned it down.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Giroux can use his full NTC to limit the Flyers options significantly. He ain’t getting shopped league wide. Flyers GM doesn’t have much leverage here.

2023 1st, JTC + Sean Behrens for Giroux at 50% retained.
No Chance Philly takes on $3.75 mill of Compther for next season. If this was the final year of his deal that fine but not another year with him especially if there isn’t anyone better coming back in the deal.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
No Chance Philly takes on $3.75 mill of Compther for next season. If this was the final year of his deal that fine but not another year with him especially if there isn’t anyone better coming back in the deal.
I understand that being a point of contention. It’s $3.5mm AAV but your point still stands. Avs may need to flip to Jost at $2mm.

Philly does this for a 2023 1st and good prospect in Behrens. Avs getting pretty greedy if they unload JTC’s last year of term.

but that’s my offer if I’m Sakic.

2023 1st (top 2 protected), Behrens and JTC for Giroux retained. It’s a base hit for Philly because they can say they got a first and a solid prospect having a real good freshman season at DU.

Then pivot elsewhere to guys like Pavs or even Hertl before sweetening that on Giroux.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad