Classic Wrestling Discussion: Part III & Wrestler Poll

Which 5 wrestlers do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Fired up Halloween Havoc 91 today to have on the background while working since it is Halloween after all

Opening match was the infamous Chamber of Horrors match pitting El Gigante, Sting, and the Steiners, vs Cactus, Abdullah, Vader, and The Diamond Studd which ended with Abby getting "Electrocuted" the only way this match could have been more "WCW" would have been if Robocop showed up

Midway thru the card and we have Dustin Rhodes vs Stunning Steve Austin w/ Lady Blossom, I must not have been watching WCW at this point as I didn't recall Lady Blossom, but seeing her makes it a lot more understandable how Austin and Debra got together, everyone like to bash Hogan for "having a type" but clearly the same could be said about Austin

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Never heard this Kerry von Erich anecdote before, it made me laugh out loud.

TL;DR version: Kerry was to make a surprise appearance at an NWA/ECW joint show in 1993. They wanted him to come out in a mask and then reveal himself midway through the match to get a pop. Tod Gordon had to explain it several times as Kerry wasn't understanding why he was wearing a mask.

Then he proceeds to walk to the ring with the mask but while wearing a ring robe with KERRY written on the back.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Then he proceeds to walk to the ring with the mask but while wearing a ring robe with KERRY written on the back.
Hey - it could have been Kerry Brown. :laugh:

brown-1.jpg

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I just went down a gene snitsky rabbit hole on YouTube.

I forgot how much snitsky 1.0 used to make me laugh.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m in early 2004 smackdown right now and neither of them can talk but the Bashams were very very good

Really good tag teams on smackdown in that time- Los Guerreros, WGGT, Bashams

This is peak Eddie and it’s simply phenomenal. We really got robbed of one of the all-time greats so soon

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I’m in early 2004 smackdown right now and neither of them can talk but the Bashams were very very good

This is peak Eddie and it’s simply phenomenal. We really got robbed of one of the all-time greats so soon
Apparently Doug Basham was really good on the mic but never got the chance.

The Bashams always had solid matches. Lack of any kind of character killed them.

Reactions: CDJ

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

WGGT? I mean I am assuming it begins "World's Greatest", but I'm tapping out after that.

Petey But Really Jim

Sponsor
May 3, 2021
@CDJ

OHHHHHH. I just googled that after you clarified. I remember them. Maybe not with that name though. Were they part of a "Team Angle"? Maybe came in under that story?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
@CDJ

OHHHHHH. I just googled that after you clarified. I remember them. Maybe not with that name though. Were they part of a "Team Angle"? Maybe came in under that story?
They sure did! They came in as Heyman’s handpicked tag team for Angle and were known as Team Angle until Kurt was going face and they split. They then became WGTT.

Petey But Really Jim

Sponsor
May 3, 2021
They sure did! They came in as Heyman’s handpicked tag team for Angle and were known as Team Angle until Kurt was going face and they split. They then became WGTT.
We may have accidentally stumbled onto the near exact date I stopped watching wrestling. I remember Hass and Benjamin as Team Angle, but not the WGTT. Awesome.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
We may have accidentally stumbled onto the near exact date I stopped watching wrestling. I remember Hass and Benjamin as Team Angle, but not the WGTT. Awesome.
I stopped for awhile around the time Eddie died, so maybe a year after you

Early/Mid 2000’s Smackdown was my jam

Petey But Really Jim

Sponsor
May 3, 2021

I got into WWE in 2018 after that 15 plus year absense to have something to talk with a coworker about. Then AEW. Then I stopped WWE. Then AEW lost me. Yet I still enjoy seeing what people are saying about the stuff. Go figure.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

Yeah...I'm somewhere in this timeline as well. I watched wrestling religously from about '84 until about 2003-ish. For me, the WWE buying all the competitors killed wrestling. As of about a year ago, I've become a casual fan. I watch a RAW/Smackdown/PPV about once a month. I do enjoy AEW, but it's mostly over my head.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Yeah...I'm somewhere in this timeline as well. I watched wrestling religously from about '84 until about 2003-ish. For me, the WWE buying all the competitors killed wrestling.

This is roughly the same with me. Started in 84(with AWA but switched to WWF in 85 after Wrestlemania)and slowly moved away from it starting around 2003. For me it was 5 hours a week was just getting to be way to much, plus it started to feel like we were just getting non stop recycled main events.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
It's been a long time since I've watched WCCW. Thought it was worth a revisit after watching The Iron Claw. Peacock has a nice WCCW archive.

Jose Lothario is a contender for worst worked punch. Kerry and Kevin stink on the mic which they poke fun at in The Iron Claw.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Two random questions:

At what point did solo in-ring promos start? It seems from the early 90s and prior, all in-ring promos involved a person interviewing the wrestler. I'm trying to pinpoint when wrestlers started just coming out to the ring on their own and cutting promos with no interviewer. I can't think of any instance of this prior to maybe 1995.

Also, in WWE, when did referees switch from wearing the baby blue dress shirts to black and white stripes?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m coming up on Bradshaw’s transformation into JBL and his subsequent reign and quite frankly I am looking forward to it

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Two random questions:

At what point did solo in-ring promos start? It seems from the early 90s and prior, all in-ring promos involved a person interviewing the wrestler. I'm trying to pinpoint when wrestlers started just coming out to the ring on their own and cutting promos with no interviewer. I can't think of any instance of this prior to maybe 1995.

I didn't watch WCW but in the WWF it seemed to start in the Austin ERA(97-98)

Also, in WWE, when did referees switch from wearing the baby blue dress shirts to black and white stripes?

In the mid-1980s until 1995, a World Wrestling Federation referee's attire consisted of a blue collared shirt with black trousers, boots, and bow tie, similar to that of a boxing official. In 1995, the uniform was changed back to the black and white striped shirt.

Reactions: Megahab

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Watching Angle explain his turn on Eddie on Smackdown is hilarious, he’s calling him a drug addict- which is funny because at this point behind the scenes he was taking 65 Vicodin a day

2 of my top 5 ever easily

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3